PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 08-07-2018, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
American Civil War - Peter Dennis

This is a review of Wargame The American Civil War by Peter Dennis. 49 A4 size pages of parts printed on 0.14 mm thick stock, instructions, and rules/scenarios.

The wargame book Wargame The American Civil War with game pieces by Peter Dennis has some good stuff in it. There are 2D graphics of soldier units and some individual pieces for command figures from both sides, some 2.5D artillery along with limbers and wagons, trees, some 3D buildings, and some other terrain to set up various battlefields. There are also some easy rules by Andy Callan for wargaming and some scenarios included. The game pieces are on A4 size pages with printing on both sides. You photocopy the pages then cut out the pieces and make the stands for the troops and make the terrain.
Here is an example in the book with a bunch of Confederate troops lined up for an attack.

The troops and the trees are from the book, the ground is something that you need to provide.

The graphics for the troop ranks are double sided. You print them, fold the graphic in half to provide a front and back aspect, cut around the outline, then mount the cutout on a stand.

Lots of intricate cutting is needed to make the various pieces.

I have a few other Peter Dennis wargame books. One of them is the Spanish Armada book. It has a neat 3D headland that the ships have to maneuver around.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Thanks for this. The breadth of this hobby continues to amaze me!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Yep, you could make a good static display with this. You do not have to wargame.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Enlarged the posted pic and spent some time looking at it. Seems to be a good variety of figures that would take intricate cutting indeed. Are the Dennis books hard to come by?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I have the English Civil War book. Wonderful graphics. The figures look great in masses. Lots of careful cutting with a scalpel to get the best out of the figures, but well worth the effort.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Enlarged the posted pic and spent some time looking at it. Seems to be a good variety of figures that would take intricate cutting indeed. Are the Dennis books hard to come by?
They have been easy to get so far. You can order from Helion & Co. UK and can find them on Amazon or eBay.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
They are available in the US on Amazon . Prices per book vary no doubt reflecting the relative complexity of each military period. Just released in the series, according to an Amazon mailing received today, is a collection of 28mm English buildings that is going for somewhere in the $30-$35 range (don't have the exact Amazon price immediately to hand)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
$17.12 according to Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Wargame-Ame...ican+Civil+War

And from the Similar items listing, there are 16 other books in the series
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Thank you SCEtoAUX for pointing these out. I just ordered a copy, and will probably order more in the series as well.

One of the first books I bought at my first trip to an ACW battlefield was "Battle in the Civil War" by Paddy Griffith, illustrated by Peter Dennis. I still pull it off the shelf regularly, just to indulge in Mr. Dennis' illustrations. Absolutely magnificent.

So, I was intrigued by the idea, but when I saw who the illustrator was it immediately became a must-have purchase.

Doug
Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Had a rummage and found some of my ECW figs. Really need to get back to these, as they are super illustrations.
Attached Thumbnails
American Civil War - Peter Dennis-20180808_171007.jpg