PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"

WWI Fokker Dr.I flown by "Josef Jacobs"
Josef Carl Peter Jacobs (May 15, 1894 - July 29, 1978) was the joint 4th German flying ace with 48 victories (equal with Lt. Werner Voss) during the First World War.
From early 1918 onwards, Jacobs started flying the Fokker Dr.I triplane with Jasta 7, and had his aircraft finished in a distinctive black scheme. The Dr I was his favored mount until October 1918 and he used its maneuverability to his advantage, becoming the triplane's highest scoring ace, with over 30 confirmed victories.

* Number of paper sheets with parts to cut out.. 3,
* Number of construction pictures/diagrams... 6
* Difficulty level of the model in 1-5 scale
(1-very simple, 5-very complicated): 3

Designer...
Stanislaw Sliwinski..

Impressions..
Another nice kit from one of my favorite designers.. Graphics are first rate, and I also have the laser frames. The quality IMO is on a par with the other WWI Orlik kits.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-001.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-002.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-003.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-004.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-005.jpg  

Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-006.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr-i-007.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Photos..

Photos of Josef Jacobs and the DR-I...
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-jacobs.jpg   Orlik Fokker DR-I "1:33"-dr1_45017_jacobs4.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward to what you will do with this one. I am so glad you chose this one and not the what seems to be only Tri anyone builds. And yes, Germany produced many Aces.:DRick
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
On Orlik

Thanks for the review Peter. Orlik is really moving to the forefront in card models. Their design stable has some of the best understanding of what it takes to make a great card model (great resource for budding designers to learn from too).

I'll be following this build as the Dr-I is a favorite.

+Gil
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very cool plane! I was curious, so I pulled out the 11/2007 Orlik 'Red Baron' Fokker Dr.I and it appears to be the identical model only recolored.
One nice thing, if you didn't already know, is that they have English instructions for this kit downloadable - ORLIK - Model Kartonowy - #44. Not sure how useful they are - but they are there
Old 07-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Very cool plane! I was curious, so I pulled out the 11/2007 Orlik 'Red Baron' Fokker Dr.I and it appears to be the identical model only recolored.
One nice thing, if you didn't already know, is that they have English instructions for this kit downloadable - ORLIK - Model Kartonowy - #44. Not sure how useful they are - but they are there
Hi Dan.. yes I downloaded the instructions earlier. And it is just a recolor of the previous kit. I actually wouldn't object to seeing a few more, as there's a whole range of colorful schemes. On another non paper related forum their having a "Knights of the Air" group build. So I'm thinking of entering it with this, and maybe winning over some converts.. .. Hardly any rigging to deal with, so I should be able to complete it within the time allotted .. I'll post the build here also. Have to finish the Alb CX, but I can make a start on this.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I look forward to the build

I've considered at some point in the future the possibility of buying the Wings of Horus Dr.I and doing a simultaneous build to compare the kits. It'll be a bit down the road before I build it regardless - I have a number of other kits and will consider the laser-cut frames. The wing frames are tiny and will be a tedious and potentially problematic cutting situation without them.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Thanks for the review Peter. Orlik is really moving to the forefront in card models. Their design stable has some of the best understanding of what it takes to make a great card model (great resource for budding designers to learn from too).

I'll be following this build as the Dr-I is a favorite.

+Gil
My three favorites for WWI kits at the moment, are the newer GPM .. Orlik...Modelik.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
I look forward to the build

I've considered at some point in the future the possibility of buying the Wings of Horus Dr.I and doing a simultaneous build to compare the kits. It'll be a bit down the road before I build it regardless - I have a number of other kits and will consider the laser-cut frames. The wing frames are tiny and will be a tedious and potentially problematic cutting situation without them.
That would be interesting to see and follow. The beauty of the laser frames for me, is the amount of time I save.. For the armor guys with the laser tracks, I would imagine your saving hours of tedious work.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I've been distracted by teachjing lately and haev only been making brief checks on the Forum, so I missed the big news of the beginning of this build.

Looks terrific Peter. Any build of yours is worth watching, and this is such a famous and appealing aircraft that it wil add to the pleasure.

I appreciate Gil's well-informed comments about Orlik as well.

Don
Google Adsense