PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33

History....
The LVG B.I was a 1910s German two-seat reconnaissance biplane designed by Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft for the Luftstreitkräfte.
LVG had been involved in the operation of dirigibles before it started design, in 1912, of the companies first original design the B.I. The B.I was an unequal-span two-seat biplane with a fixed tailskid landing gear. It was powered by a nose-mounted 80 kW (100 hp) Mercedes D.I engine. After entering service an improved variant, the B.II was developed with a cut-out in the upper wing to improve visibility for the pilot in the rear cockpit and fitted with a 90 kW (120 hp) Mercedes D.II engine. The B.II entered service in 1915 and although mainly used as a trainer it was used for unarmed reconnaissance and scouting duties. A further variant was the B.III which had structural strengthening to allow it to be used as a trainer.

The kit...
* Number of paper sheets with parts to cut out.. 5,
* Number of construction pictures/diagrams... 6
* Difficulty level of the model in 1-5 scale
(1-very simple, 5-very complicated): 4

Designer...
Stanislaw Sliwinski..

Impressions..
Another nice WW-I era kit from one of my favorite designers.. Graphics are first rate. The cream colored fabric looks close enough to what IMO seems right, and all the metal parts have a metallic silver finish. Quite a bit of interior details with clear diagrams showing where it all goes. This should look good when finished. I also have the laser frames. The quality IMO is on a par with the other WWI Orlik kits, and should build up into a real impressive model. The diagrams themselves should be sufficient enough to build by, though by now there might be English instructions at the Orlik web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-003.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-004.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-005.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-006.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-010.jpg  

Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-011.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-007.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-008.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-009.jpg   Orlik "LVG B.I" 1:33-new1-012.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks nice! Another one I can't wait to see get built
Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another outstanding review, Peter. You will have quite a stable of German and Austrian recon aircraft soon.

Don
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Another outstanding review, Peter. You will have quite a stable of German and Austrian recon aircraft soon.
Don
Thanks Dan and Don.... I think I'll have plenty of options when it comes to WWI air...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Peter,
thanks again for another informative review! I'm adding that one to my list. We seem to share an interest in lesser-known WW1 aircraft. Do you know if anyone ever commercially kitted the Lohrner L? I know of the Macchi M5 that Answer has published. I haven't gotten it yet, though.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Peter,
thanks again for another informative review! I'm adding that one to my list. We seem to share an interest in lesser-known WW1 aircraft. Do you know if anyone ever commercially kitted the Lohrner L? I know of the Macchi M5 that Answer has published. I haven't gotten it yet, though.
Wyvern
Well I don't think you'll be disappointed with the kit.. Regarding the Lohrner L, not that I know of in paper. Years ago I did a Wings 72 vac of this that was a real nice kit.. Would love to see Orlik release this one in a A-H scheme.. Carl did a real nice job on the Macchi M5 if memory serves.. I have this in the pile...
Gottfried Banfield's "Oeffag Type H flying boat serial A.11" in the scheme called "The Blue Wonder", would be another on the list of wants..
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM

The A-H (KuK) Navy's conflict with Italy and the RN in the Adriatic during WW1 is, in my opinion, an under-studied (and under-modeled!) facet of WW1. Glad to meet someone else interested in modeling a/c from that time!
JSC has a tiny Lohner flying boat as part of the equipment of their model of the battleship "Radetzky". I haven't been able to find that one in a US dealer's inventory. You can see a picture of it on JSC's website.

Wyvern
Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Peter,

are you familiar with this site?
KuKKriegsmarine
Not in English, unfortunately, but click on "Flugzeug" for a page of links to material on the KuK Navy's air arm. Really cool photos are found on the pages for the air stations (listed by name across the bottom).

Regards,
Wyvern
Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Peter,
are you familiar with this site?
KuKKriegsmarine
Not in English, unfortunately, but click on "Flugzeug" for a page of links to material on the KuK Navy's air arm. Really cool photos are found on the pages for the air stations (listed by name across the bottom).
Regards,
Wyvern
Wyvern... That is a cool site with a lot of info. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM

You're welcome, Peter.
Google Adsense