PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 05-29-2021, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota

Very recently, I was very exited about the number 30 release of Kartonowa Flota in 1/300, the “Al Manama (50) korweta rakietowa – Bahrajn” Missile Corvette from Baharain.

Kartonowa Flota. Modele w skali 1 : 300 Wydawnictwo WIR

I have known about this class for almost 3 decades when I bought in the sadly defunct Borders bookstore the booklet “Fast Attack Craft” by Anthony J. Watts. Inside It had a picture of a Lürssen FPB 62 and at the end its diagram. A FAC with a helipad! This was right in my ally. At the beginning I had a few attempts of building it with styrene but did not progress that much. So, you can imagine how happy I was with the recent finding.
You may find the details in Navipedia:

AL MANAMA corvettes (1987-1988)

Length: 63 m; Width: 9.3 m; Draft: 2.6 m; Model length in 1/300: 21 cm
I got my model from the Kartonmodellshop:

Korvette Al Manama (oder Al Manamah) des Typs FPB 62 bahrainischer Marine 1:300

And I have to say that they did an excellent job in protecting the model with a double cardboard layer and extra padding. Also, the arrival time took less than two weeks.

The model comes with nice Polish building instructions that are supplemented by general assembly drawings (particularly important for me since I do not read Polish!). The model comes in two folded double A4 (A3) format plus one A4 diagram. The graphics are nice but not super-duper detailed which is good for me since I plan to build it in 1/400 (75% reduction).

It includes a little boxy Dauphin helicopter (not as rounded as their ASW Augusta Bell helicopters from the Caio Duilio) but very nice looking. At this scale, the Oto Malera and Breda are always a challenge, but the gun turrets had a reasonable shape in truncated concentric cones. Not unlike the Kri Frans Kaisiepo in 1/200. I prefer this approach to the petal approach found in the Corvette Class 130 in 1/250.

Of course, the model is perfectible. You may add as many antennas, laser, or photoetched rails as you want, or maybe borrow a Dauphin from other source (like the one in the USCGC Legare that has like 50 pieces at 1/250, I am keeping the boxy helicopter of 11 pieces plus wheels and my sanity!)
And if you live in Europe this FAC is merely 5 Euros.

Needless to say, that I am very happy with my “kartonowy” model!
Attached Thumbnails
Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3232.jpg   Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3233.jpg   Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3229.jpg   Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3228.jpg   Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3230.jpg  

Missile Corvette from Baharain in 1/300 from Kartonowa Flota-pict3231.jpg  
Google Adsense