PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 05-21-2021, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)

Okay, this is long overdue. as you may recall, the stern wheeler Columbia Gorge model was digitized back in October but I NEVER assembled one or test fit the parts because at the time I couldn't print it, now I can and test fitting is LONG overdue some MAJOR corrections needed to be done, 98 % of the parts fit perfectly, 2% were WAY off (!)

For those of you who may have purchased it previously, please e-me and I'll make sure that you get this revised copy as well.

A more detailed thread can be found here-> Stern Wheel Vessel, "COLUMBIA GORGE"

It starts out pretty easy, it has the now familiar substructure, color coded so as to be, "fool proof". an image showing the hull and free board as well as the main deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-01.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-02.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-03.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-04.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-05.jpg  

Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-06.jpg  
Old 05-21-2021, 12:15 PM

Main deck

So page two is cut and folded, as with all of these ship models, the internal partitions are placed first followed by the sides, purposely kept as simple as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-07.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-08.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-09.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-10.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-11.jpg  

Old 05-22-2021, 06:07 AM

Second deck

This is where I encountered the first discrepancy, the walls of the second deck were about 3 mm too short, once the deck and walls were added, I then fastened the railings, this is where the second discrepancy was, the back of the railing was WAY too tall (not even close), this has since been revised, this is a VERY colorful ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-12.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-13.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-14.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-15.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-16.jpg  

Old 05-22-2021, 07:15 AM

This only has 187 parts, pretty simple, goes together quickly but it has a lot of small stuff on the pilot house, It took me 22.25 hours to assemble it and make the necessary revisions. (taking my time but keeping track).
Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 AM

Above deck

This is everything above deck minus the lifeboat and davit, plenty of small stuff to keep me busy on top of the pilot house.

This does include the rigging details should anyone choose to rig it, I just don't have the time or patience to do it, but I have done it before, the decks have receiving marks for the rigging.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-17.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-18.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-19.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-20.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-21.jpg  

Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-cg-illus-110-07.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 05-22-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2021, 09:09 AM

Bumpers

This is what it looks like with the blue bumpers on, four per side.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-22.jpg  
Old 05-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
It is a quick build!

Looks very nice Fred!
Old 05-22-2021, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
For those of you who may have purchased it previously, please e-me and I'll make sure that you get this revised copy as well.
In addition to Fred's offer, anyone who has purchased on Ecardmodels can also go back into your account and download the most recent version. Don't be confused at the zip file name, it has to remain the same exact so it doesn't break links, but the model file inside the zip file is the updated file provided by Fred. And if you ran out of downloads for the kit, let me or any other Ecard admin know so we can go in and refresh your download limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
This is what it looks like with the blue bumpers on, four per side.
This is looking great Fred.

When you finish with this build, send some final pictures over to me and I'll put them into the listing for you.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:27 AM

Robert, thanks, I'll see if I can send images of the finished model...
Old 05-23-2021, 06:56 AM

Wheel and Done

Here are a few images of the finished model, the wheel was a challenge because all of the white tabs have to be scored and folded and then cutting the parts from the sheet, now, with this, "out of the way" I can get back to the R.R. Thompson and the middle river series.
Attached Thumbnails
Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-24.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-25.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-22.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-26.jpg   Stern Wheel Vessel "Columbia Gorge" (assessment&assembly)-27.jpg