Total Downloaded: 0
New 1/400 Scale Waterline Battle of Tsushima Series from Modelik

1:400 Waterline Battle of Tsushima Series
Modelik

Catalogue #s 2105 - 2108
Available from Modelik starting at €5.00
All photos courtesy of Modelik.
Introduction
Modelik is one of the older and well-established Polish card model publishers. They publish a wide variety of subjects including buildings, vehicles, aircraft, and of course ships. One of the first big card models I ever built was Modelik's 1/100 scale Flower-class corvette, HMCS Agassiz -- I had to punch above my card modeling weight to finish it, but it produced a very detailed and striking model. Until now, Modelik's other ship offerings have also been in either 1/100 or 1/200 scale. But now, Modelik are offering a new series of waterline warship kits in 1/400 scale that I think will appeal to both skilled and novice card modelers alike.

Overview
Modelik's new 1/400 line-up has so far focused on ships that participated in the Russo-Japanese War. To date, there have been four kits published in the "Battle of Tsushima" series, and more are in the works, along with other 1/400 kits featuring both sail and steam subjects that weren't participants in that conflict. Some of the first kits in the series even include more than one model, which is a nice extra. Each kit is rendered in eye-pleasing computer-drafted artwork, has a non-intimidating and modest total parts count, aims at an intermediate level of difficulty (all rated a '2' on a scale of 1-5), and exhibits a satisfying level of detail. Let's take a look at the kits that are presently in print.

#2105 Russian icebreaker YERMAK 1895 and tugboat RUS 1904

The 2-for-1 offerings in this kit will produce finished models 130 mm (5.1 in.) and 76 mm (3.0 in.) long.

Yermak

Rus

#2106 Russian pre-Dreadnought NAVARIN 1891

The finished model will be 265 mm (10.4 in.) in length.

#2107 Russian armored cruiser VLADIMIR MONOMAKH 1882

This kit will produce a model 226 mm (8.9 in.) long.

#2108 Russian pre-Dreadnought battleship SISSOI VELIKIY 1896 + two torpedo boats,BLESTYASHCHY ("Brilliant") and BEZUPRECHNY ("Irreproachable")

The three kits in this offering produce models that are 285 mm (11.2 in.) and roughly 132 mm (5.2 in.) in length.

In addition to the basic kits, Modelik is offering some nice upgrades. A kit-specific set of laser-cut details is available for each kit. These sets include fine details such as anchors, boat chocks, davits, and thwarts. Modelik also sells laser-cut railings and ladders in 1/400 scale. These are all modestly priced -- buying everything needed for Sissoi Velikiy, for example, will set you back only an additional €7.50.

Modelik will also soon offer a quay set from which the modeler can build a visually engaging dockside scene in which to set the new 1/400 subjects.

Conclusion
I don't normally build in 1/400 scale, but the price, quality, and subject matter of these kits has me sorely tempted to undo the padlock on my wallet! I hope we may see one or more of these attractive models soon being attempted by someone from among our august membership. If you do choose to buy one, remember to tell our friends at Modelik that you saw these at Paper Modelers!
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2022, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
This series should get a lot of interest. I know I am!

Wyvern
Old 04-07-2022, 02:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
Hey, those are nice!
And I'm glad to see that they are dedicated 1/400 designs and not 'just' downscaled 1/200 kits (though, admittedly, a bottom plate for the hull wouldn't have hurt...).

I'm particularily keen on the harbour. I don't suppose you have more pictures of the railway waggons? The covered ones look like a quite faithful rendition of the Kdsth/Gl Dresden...

Of course, it is most unfortunate that @JSC now quickly have to re-publish their IJN Mikasa and design some new adversaries for Tsushima!
Old 04-07-2022, 05:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 873.43 MB
I bought all three of these warships and their laser accessories a couple of weeks ago, when they came in stock at Fentens in Germany. A better scale for me than 1:250 because of lack of display space. Very good value indeed; now we need the Japanese adversaries!
Old 04-07-2022, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is god news that these ships are available, Many thanks to Modelik.

I look forward to seeing the Japanese adversary vessels.

Don
Google Adsense