PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Halinski Mustang P51-D

Woot - the mailman brought me a package today! Inside, not one but 2 perty Halinski kits to add to the growing build list!
I've seen a few recommendations for this kit, and while the metallic paper is a little scarey, I figured I had to have it for when I'm ready to build it.
The kit is standard Halinski size. It has 4 pages of parts - all printed on glossy card stock. There are also 2 pages of formers / templates. In addition to the English instruction insert, there are 5 pages of computer-drawn build diagrams to assist in the build.
This part doesn't appear to have quite the piece count / details of the other Halinski kits I have, but the glossy print is gorgeous and I'm sure it makes a striking model when done.
This kit does make me wonder about using standard white glue or trying on of the options that might adhere to the glossy paper better.
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-1.jpg   Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-2.jpg   Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-3.jpg   Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-4.jpg   Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-5.jpg  

Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-6.jpg   Halinski Mustang P51-D-mustang-d-7.jpg  
Old 09-25-2007, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
I have both the older "Beautiful Doll" kit and this new kit and I have to say that in the graphical department the old kit is a bit better. It looks as if someone tried to thicken the black lines on all the silver parts and they went overboard, in the process turning the beautiful and delicate rendering of rivets into black dots. This is the first Halinski kit that I was disappointed with. Don't get me wrong it is still a nice kit but not a nice Halinski kit. In my opinion for the publisher it was a step backwards in quality.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Halinski... Halinski... not yet. But it is a good idea to have it laying around the house reminding "Build me... build me!"
Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I also have a couple of Hakinski kits laying and screaming the same.....In a way I'm really afraid to take the step and start to build them.....F.eks the P38J Lightning is soo nice with it's aluminium print that I'm afraid to destroy it...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Johnny, you afraid? Hard to believe.
Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by popala View Post
I have both the older "Beautiful Doll" kit and this new kit and I have to say that in the graphical department the old kit is a bit better. It looks as if someone tried to thicken the black lines on all the silver parts and they went overboard, in the process turning the beautiful and delicate rendering of rivets into black dots. This is the first Halinski kit that I was disappointed with. Don't get me wrong it is still a nice kit but not a nice Halinski kit. In my opinion for the publisher it was a step backwards in quality.
Interesting. I was wondering if this kit is a 'repaint' of the 'Beautiful Doll' kit or if there are actual differences in the model besides the graphics?

And Johnny - seeing your builds I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm looking especially forward to that P38 build - someday I'll add that kit to my collection as well
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Interesting. I was wondering if this kit is a 'repaint' of the 'Beautiful Doll' kit or if there are actual differences in the model besides the graphics?
This is an update to the old kit with the most noticeable change being the separated control surfaces (besides the paint scheme). If you compare the two, even the part layout is identical on most pages. I hope he has a reprint of this kit, because when I was getting ready to start on the old, he released this one and now I want a metallic Mustang but with separate control surfaces from the new kit but beautiful print from the old kit Maddening, isn't it?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Yes it's a bit frustrating...I have now decided to get the P51...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Y'know, my feeling is that the Halinski's seem daunting but they are so well designed that if you sort of start at the start and keep plugging through then they come out beautiful in the end. I would love to see another build of this kit! I did Big Beautiful Doll as one of my first 1:33 kits - put the wheels on inside out, LOL - and it still one of my favorites despite the flaws.

Carl
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Thanks for that word of trust on Halinski kits, Carl. Given that, I guess I can see it just as another good kit on the next level of construction.
Google Adsense