PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
After a lot of web surfing and other unsavoury activities I think I'll concede that there are in fact 8 ripples on the Luchs outer roadwheels. Images of both the prototype and in service Luchs (with Pz Div 4 - Eastern front late 1943) show this.

Both images are from photos of the period. I couldn't find any clear images of the roadwheels from the Luchs which were in Normandy in 1944 with Pz Div 116 (that's where the Luchs at Saumur and Bovington were captured).

Now that's over we can go back to beating up the WAK designer about the way the roadwheels are represented - flat disk with conical sections indeed....

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Pz.Kpwg II "Luchs"  1:25 WAK-luchs_proto.jpg   Pz.Kpwg II "Luchs"  1:25 WAK-pz_div_4_wheel.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 12-24-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
I've heard of "rivet counting." Now I am enjoying watching this "ripple counting" take place. Ah, the joys of research!

Don
Ah the joys of reading the forum when your eyes are still a little blurry from sleep, and somehow I confused the 'r' in ripple with an 'n', and thought this forum had taken a naughty turn for a second
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I also get it to 8 ripples It cant be that wrong.... I have checked out every reference pic I have access to and I cout 8 every time.Not always easy to tell,but the individual spacing between the ripples has to be the same and with 7 ripples it doesnt count up. I guess we just end this ripplecount here....it doesn't lead to anything.I'm going to build with 8 ripples anyway MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ah. The ripple imbroglio is resolved and peace reigns among the track layers and ripple counters -- just in time for Christmas.

May you both produce many fine new models and research many arcane armor details in the New Year -- and may you catch many trout, Johnny!

Don
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM

LOL yes you know it's a bit important to know how many ripples there are! But I didn't feel we had some king of argument here. Just discussing facts.The models should not have errors like if a ripple was missing,but be as acurate as possible on this level of details. And as long as peace is still among us in this time of year we'll just keep on gluing and have a good time with our hobby!!
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Now that's over we can go back to beating up the WAK designer about the way the roadwheels are represented - flat disk with conical sections indeed....

Regards,

Charlie
I guess the design of that kind of wheel would have been areal challenge to anyone So lets think he did his best to simulate the ripple effect! It doesn't look too bad on the one wheel I finished today,and with some effort from my side I guess I could have them look just as in real life.But I don't bother to put that much work into the wheels.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I guess the design of that kind of wheel would have been areal challenge to anyone So lets think he did his best to simulate the ripple effect! It doesn't look too bad on the one wheel I finished today,and with some effort from my side I guess I could have them look just as in real life.But I don't bother to put that much work into the wheels.
My comment was sparked by the observation that the original wheel was stamped out of sheet steel with no double curvature - perfect for emulating exactly in paper. Might be a bit more shaping required but the number of parts required would drop significantly.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Johnny,

once again a great build.

For a moment there I thought I was at an IPMS Armor show what with all the after market add-ons costing more then the model and counting the number of ripples on the road wheels. I’m not complaining but it definitely highlights how far paper models have evolved in the last few years. I remember trying to build a ModelArt kit of an SdKfz 165 HUMMEL that was out of scale, out of proportion and only vaguely resembled the prototype, my oh my things have indeed changed.

Jim Nunn