PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews

Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Meet the designer

Searching for historical background and photos I came upon this thread (from a Polish Rhino forum where designers show off their project to one another; the link here is for a Google translated version).

There is a fantastic series of Rhino screenshots, plus more than 30 photos of the test white-build of the model. Some of them you have already seen, in the previous post on the engine details. Here are two Rhino illustrations which you have seen before from the Modelik presentation, but not at this beautiful size:

It is a great privilege to get to see all these beautiful instructions, plus a few comments from the designer (signature HAV, and the test-builder has the signature BERP; don't know who's who here - Modeli states the designers as B. Grala & P. Siewierski).

Also, please note that you can download three- (actually four-) view projections, which is a very good thing to have if you plan on making any alterations to the model (for the placing of bulkheads, etc.). They are not included in the instructions, and thus unavailable but for this thread.

Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-005.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-001.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-002.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-003.jpg

Followers of Paper Modelers will recognize the signature Krzychu74 a bit further down in that thread as a member here; in the Polish Rhino forum he is a moderator.

One reason why I am so taken by this model is that it is of a civilian subject, in a Halinski-league quality. To my recollection this is a first. For that reason, it is a bit disappointing to note that the talented designer views this project as something to do between projects, and that he favours modern military jets (judging from his avatar).

An interesting note is that the designer has worked from photos mainly (some examples of which I may have shown already) and a very poor-quality drawing found on the internet. I have not been able to find any drawing at all of specifically the BH-5, perhaps the designer has worked from another similar Avia model and adapted it to the BH-5.

I should say also that the model is not available for yet a couple of weeks. At least that's was Slawomir Wojcik, my favourite retailer, tells me.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-049.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-048.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 AM

A classic problem - what colour, really?

The many photos of the Czech replica BH-5 by the Historic Flight company offers a vivid illustration of a classic modeling problem - how to decide what colour to use, in order best to mimic the real thing? Compare these photos, all of them of the same single aircraft (not repainted or anything...), all of them high resolution, and all of them by skilled aircraft photographers:

Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-3.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-8.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-10.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-12.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-13.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-ok-bos-7.jpg Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-replica-flight-5.jpg

Notice the huge difference in saturation of the light tan areas of the fuselage and wings. In bright sunlight they are almost white, while in overcast conditions, indoors and in evening light they are quite deep yellow tan or creamy yellow.

From the sample images of the Modelik kit sheets you can see that the Photoshop artist employed by Modelik has gone for a very light, almost white, main colour of the fuselage and wings.

This is consistent with several of the photos of the BH-5 in bright sunlight. It is also consistent with the general rule of lightening the colours of a scale model 10-15 percent, in order to give the same impression as looking at a full-scale model from the comparative distance (known as the scale factor, or scale effect, or something like that).

However, in this case I for one doubt the wisdom of this choice. So much of the colourful character of the full-size aircraft depends on the rich yellow-tan colour apparent in most overcast & evening photos. As a clincher, I would submit this close-up photo of the wingtip:

Notice how the colour is almost white only at a small section where the reflection is strong, while in most other, non-reflective, sections it is quite deep yellow tan.

If I were to build this model, I would scan the parts pages and enhance the almost white sections parts to a deeper yellow tan. I think this would also make all the other colours stand out much richer and prettier.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-avia-bh-5-8.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-wingtip-beige.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 06-10-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
The problem with color is the people thinks is absolute when it is relative. Source of light, direction of light, reflected light and a lot of factors play in color perception.

Of course you can scientifically measure the wavelengths of a reflected surface under controlled conditions and reproduce it but that isn't the case in reality.

In the case of pictures doesn't matter if them were taken for skilled photographers the point is if they wanted the picture looks like reality or not, generally not.

At the moment of taken the picture or in post processing you choose the color temperature for the picture, for example: sun daylight. That's is one representation for the colors in the scene but if you don't like that maybe you choose a warmer color temperature or a cooler one. All the colors in the picture changes. Generally you play with the controls to "pop up" the picture not to preserve the original look. I know it my other hobby is photography.

So, take with a grain of salt the color in the pictures. As the photographer take the color you prefer .
Old 06-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
signature HAV, and the test-builder has the signature BERP; don't know who's who here - Modelik states the designers as B. Grala & P. Siewierski).
modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - [Zapowied?] Modelik 20/10] AVIA BH-5

BERP's work on paper F-14 by Halinski. Those pictures are not photo-shopped :

http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.p...5#reply_133421

Last edited by strk; 06-12-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM

valve springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
By the way, note how the designers have modeled the engine down to the level of single valve springs. And built them in 1/33 scale! (Oh, how I would like to know what technique they used for those valve springs...)
Leif
If you are still using Sketchup there is a plugin that makes springs exactly like those.
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
In the pictures presenting the engine test build the springs are 3D and most likely made out of wire. Simply wrap wire around a thin metal rod, remove and cut to desired lenghts, then paint or blacken chemically - voilá.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Strk - many thanks for that link to the presentation of the model by the other designer, Peter "BERP" Siewierski. The previos link was authored by Bartholomew "HAV" Grail. This is a most interesting thread. From a Google translated version from Polish, I gathered the following points:

• The model is expressly designed to be detailed and true-to-scale, yet possible to build in much shorter time than e.g. most Halinski and other very detailed models. The model is also designed so that in can be built in several sections, where each section can be built totally independent and at the same time as others. Sections are then joined by thin metal wires (I suppose this goes for wings, wing supports, empennage, undercarriage, engine).

• "BERP" makes a special point of the model being of a civilian subject, which unfortunately is a rare occurrence in the aircraft modelling world.

• Many sections of the model are made in several versions to make it easier for beginners. That goes for the engine cylinders (four versions), propeller, and under-carriage. There are also many spares for difficult parts which are likely to get mangled while building (I notice e.g. the instrument panels), plus ample blank parts for all the colours used.

• Part outlines are not in black but a slightly lighter shade. There are no white spots designating where to glue other details. These are replaced by black thin contours.

• The fuselage is made double-layered, serving the triple purpose of increasing strength, integrating glue-strips in the design seamlessly, and providing an inner pattern of plywood colour. Note from this sample sheet the weathering of the inside surfaces (in distinction from the outside, which is polished and gleaming immaculate paint, like the fullsize version).

Finally, Michael G., and Tapcho, thanks for the tips on the spiral springs. I have downloaded the Sketchup plugin and hope to find some opportunity to use it!

Finally, finally, I think it is worth the while to preserve the photos presented by "BERP" and presumably used as a base for designing the model. Some of them you have already seen, others are new and (as far as I can tell) impossible to find on the internet in other ways.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-bh-5_2.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o1.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o2.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o3.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o4.jpg  

Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o5.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o6.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o7.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o8.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o9.jpg  

Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o10.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o11.jpg   Halinski standard on new Modelik kit-o12.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
• "BERP" makes a special point of the model being of a civilian subject, which unfortunately is a rare occurrence in the aircraft modelling world.
I know we've discussed the options available for building a 'Spirit of St. Louis', possibly the most significant non-military aircraft ever, before. This detail and thought process for the Avia BH-5 is the kind of design I would love to see done to a Spirit of St. Louis!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Those guys know how to deal with Rhino and paper.

I was always amazed by their works both in 3D virtuality and 3D reality.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Ok. I've to buy it now guys. You've convinced me, I need just now Paper Model Store get it.