PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Knife's Projects

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Here's how it looks in real life. I didn't like the way it looked with internal walls extending into the basement (lower stores deck), so I ripped it out and redesigned the aft basement with smooth walls. I also completed the powder room design.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-100_7028.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7029.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7031.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7030.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Man, Knife, this is nice work. I'm sorry I did not look in before.

If I may ask, with no point at all intended, truthfully, you are basing this on diagrams from the Osprey book but no plans? Explanation: I am always feverously looking for plans and documents about any model I try to model and I know how difficult it is. This one looks, well, so realistic, I am in awe.

Really, very, very nice.

Carl
Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 AM

I was informed that the Osprey book didn't represent the ship very well, so I'm using W.E. Geoghegan's plans available from http://www.marinersmuseum.org/librar...or-class-plans. I then try to put myself into the builder's shoes to figure out how they solved the basic problems of structural strength and practicality. For instance, the engines required coal and water to operate, how does the crew load and store these supplies? During battle, how do the powder monkeys resupply the guns with shot and gunpowder? Between battles, where does the crew of 200 sleep and live on a vessel this size?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Looks great! Q-tips for powder bags?
CT
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Yep, cut down q-tips seems like the easiest way to make them. Now I have to figure out the best way to make the shells (and buckets, mops, wheel barrows, etc).
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
BBs come close to the 9 inch shells at 1/72 scale. And using the drill and skewer tip I got off of this site, you can shape the rifle shell points with sandpaper like on a small lathe. Barrels of supplies will be a pain though, and cloth sacks. Use black glass seed beads, some broken, and dusted with a dull black powder for the coal. The broken parts of the glass mixed with the dull dusting will give the look of coal. Enjoy,
CT
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I've finished up the design of the lowest deck (the basement) and figured out how to assemble it so it hides mistakes. The key is to start building from the ceiling down. I start with the ceiling piece and glue the cross beams in place. Then glue in the side formers and center posts. The interior sides come next, then glue the whole assembly to the floor. Finally, I used some of Drago's cargo crates to fill in the large empty spaces. You can find them in the download section PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Simple wood box (thanks, Drago).

My concept is to allow the model to be disassembled deck by deck so the interior can be seen. There's enough space between the interior and exterior walls to place magnets to hold the pieces together. What you see here will be the base piece with the other decks stacked above it.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-100_7034.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7035.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7036.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7037.jpg   CSS Arkansas-100_7038.jpg  

Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.62 MB
Hello? Any news regarding the design process?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Had to put it on hold, got a job that has me on the road, and son moved back into the house and took over the hobby room. Still have all the developed parts and pieces, and will get back to work as soon as life lets me get to it.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of living. or is it living gets in the way of life. Looking forward to seeing more of your work on this ship.

Joe
Google Adsense