PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > Looking For People or Clubs

Old 11-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Japanese Members ???

There are five members shown in Japan on the PM map. Three of them aren't listed as members, one hasn't posted for quite a while, and the other hasn't answered PMs.

I realise that not all members are shown on the map, so I'm appealing for any others in Japan to respond here, or PM me.

There are a few of us that would like to buy some models that are only available in Japan which the publishers will not post overseas. So we need a local agent to buy them and post them on. At our expense of course.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
There are five members shown in Japan on the PM map. Three of them aren't listed as members, one hasn't posted for quite a while, and the other hasn't answered PMs.

I realise that not all members are shown on the map, so I'm appealing for any others in Japan to respond here, or PM me.

There are a few of us that would like to buy some models that are only available in Japan which the publishers will not post overseas. So we need a local agent to buy them and post them on. At our expense of course.
with you on this one.im after papermodels<the one who is doing freebie kirishima>model of yamamoto which is only for sale in japan
Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Right on and thanks as I tried several on map with no response! I have old professional friends long retired if still living , I might try these! At this point only interested in 1/12 scale Fiat 500 by UPLIFT. They have website and items listed also on Amazon.jp but they will not ship to USA. Do you think it has anything to do with our election results?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
No, it has to do with trade and copyright agreements. That stuff has been around, probably, forever.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
No, it has to do with trade and copyright agreements. That stuff has been around, probably, forever.
It applies to a lot of merchandise. Almost everything in fact :P

There are books, figures and collectible items I've tried to buy,
but they're only for sale within Japan.

The option is to find someone to whom you can send the money,
and then he sends the item to you. In the world of collectible figures
that's called a "proxy". There are "proxy" companies devoted exclusively to
perform that operation. At least when buying figures. I don't know
if they can buy paper models or such.

Long ago I tried to buy certain exclusive, limited-edition piece of jewelry,
using as proxy a relative who lived in a US base in the south of Japan.
Weird thing was... since it is a US military base, it has an US address/ZIP code
and the company didn't approve the sale because of the address (despite being physically inside Japan).

Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM

I had a similar experience to that Ruben, but in different circumstances. Whilst serving with the Army in Gibraltar, I was trying to get spares and accessories for an old Willy's MB Jeep. Everything I needed was advertised in the J.C.Whitney (Chicago) catalogue, but because I was writing from a BFPO (British Forces Post Office) address, they totally ignored several orders of over $1000.

I did surmount that one though. In the dockyard Royal Navy Control Tower, there was a lone USN liaison officer for any visiting USN ships or Subs. He had his own private AFPO address to facilitate US Navy mail drops and collections. So I invited him along to the weekly Friday Tapas at the Gibraltar Garrison Sgts Mess. This was a Primary social event on the Rock, but access was only allowed as a guest of a member. He was delighted, and the rest of the mess were tickled pink that the most junior mess member (Me) was regularly bringing in the highest ranking US Officer on the Rock. Can't remember what rank he was but there was a lot of gold on his cap and shoulders and he way outranked any of the visiting USN personnel. Including the head honcho of USS Nimitz. Yep, I took him along to the Friday Tapas too.

Needless to say, his AFPO number was put to good use, and he often joked that I got more mail than the US Navy did. I never did tell him that the mail wasn't all for me, but I don't think he would have minded. We became good mates and his family stayed at my house for a week when they visited.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I was having a quick look at some of the proxy companies that I know of, to check if they deal with paper models.
But I think they mostly deal with figures and anime-related merchandise.

The one that apparently helps with biding to auctions and buying from Amazon.jp
and other sites, and that helps with non-anime merchandise is this one:
paper model search results | FROM JAPAN
I have never tried this one. But maybe some one can have a deeper look at it and see how it works.

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 11-10-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 PM

Somebody on here gave me this a while back. I've tried a few emails, but no replies as yet. Any one else want to try them?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I have had good luck in the past dealing with Hobby Link Japan (hlj.com). You can search that website on "paper craft" The person at the other end of the emails is fluent in English, and the shipping is reasonably fast. They also stock books.

Once in the past I ordered through a San Francisco book store called Kinokuniya. I understand that is the biggest chain of bookstores in Japan, and they have several stores in the US. Might be possible to special order through them.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Bob, yes I have been to store,but think it is same problem with no export to USA!
Google Adsense