PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33

I find it difficult to pass up free models, so I volunteered to build the PZL-50 Jastrzab (Hawk) for Chris. Downloaded the file today, printed it, and started it, all in the same day -- some sort of record for me. The kit does not appear overly difficult, on the surface of it. There are optional parts for building a detailed interior, along with six possible paint schemes (combinations of unit insignia and airframe numbers).

I started by laminating the thick parts (numbered in red on the sheets). One minor inconvenience is that these are scattered over the four sheets of parts. I will let the 3M 77 dry overnight and start cutting tomorrow.

Til then, cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cover-sheet.jpg   Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-laminated-parts.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 PM

cockpit started

This is as far as I got today. I spent a good deal of time mixing paint, as I did not have the necessary shade of light blue on hand; I'm hoping the batch I whipped up will be suitable for aircraft undersides as well.

The cockpit is partially completed. The level of detail is on the minimalist side, as you can see, for example, by the graphics quality on the instrument panel. The exact placement of some parts is also iffy, as the kit does not use tab-and-slot construction nor have locator points printed in some spots. Some guesswork seems unavoidable, and I hope I got everything done well enough to avoid fit problems with the skins later.

BTW, since this is being built for Chris' display purposes, I'm going to stay away from extra detailing (stick-and-string ship modelers call this 'kit bashing'...I don't know if modelers in other media have a similar term). My own opinion is that such display models should give a potential buyer an accurate impression of what can be built straight out of the box (excepting there is no box in this case ).

G'nite!
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-1.jpg   Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-2.jpg   Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-3.jpg  

Last edited by ccoyle; 04-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
thanks! Even the cockpit! woohoo!!
Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks great, Chris! Very clean! I hope mine comes out half as nice!
Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great beginning!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 PM

cockpit completed

Cockpit is done. Very minor problem with the template for the headrest support braces -- the resulting wire bits proved too long and needed to be trimmed a bit.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-4.jpg   Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-5.jpg   Marek Marathon: PZL-50, 1:33-cockpit-6.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Really moving along on this Chris. You sure are doing some nice clean work..
Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
superb!! Thanks for the great photos
Chris
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Wow, very clean build!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle View Post
The exact placement of some parts is also iffy, as the kit does not use tab-and-slot construction nor have locator points printed in some spots. Some guesswork seems unavoidable, and I hope I got everything done well enough to avoid fit problems with the skins later.
Ha ha...no. It turns out there are fit problems in spades, some of which might be due to the double skinning necessary for showing the cockpit interior.

First of all, I gotta back-track some. The kit says to laminate the thick parts onto cardboard "5 to 8 mm thick". DON'T! I used '5 mm' cardboard from Paper Model Store; it is actually more like 4 mm, and with the parts laminated to it comes out to about 5 mm. I think if you use anything thicker, you will exacerbate some of the fit problems.

That said, here are the two main problems I ran into. First, the diagrams show where the instrument panel goes, but not how it is supposed to be attached. I glued it in in the manner that seemed most obvious (see my original photos); however, that caused a hump over which the fuselage skin could not wrap properly. I had to remove the instrument panel and reattach it properly.

Second, even with the thinner cardboard, the cockpit structure glued up in such a way (slightly too tall over-all) that the finished structure does not line up with the locating lines on the inner cockpit skin. Fortunately, I only glued in the bottom of one side of the skin before noticing that going strictly by the locating lines would not allow the skin to wrap completely to the other side. It is necessary to more or less ignore the locating lines and simply attach the skin in a manner that allows it to meet the cockpit floor evenly on both sides. Marking the centerlines of the fuselage formers helps to make sure that the skin is fit properly.

I wish I had pictures of all this, but once again the daughter has the camera. I can fuss, but it's actually her camera. Bother...
Google Adsense

Tags
model cardboard, pzl-50 jastrząb