PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical

Joy of Joys and surprise, surprise... I'm building another Stuka!:D
This is one of the few I haven't built yet, so I'm thrilled to have the MArek Marathon as an excuse to go at it!
Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-133-2-ju87-2.jpg
This is one of two Stuka color schemes that Marek has done. I've actually built the other scheme, the Balkan splinter green with yellow nose and tail. But that was the kit that Kartonowe Fana offered, which did not include bombs and extra fuel tanks. I think they were offered through the magazine as extras??
The kit is seven pages of parts, which includes the formers mixed in amongst everything else. I don't mind this as it forces me to actually look at a kit before starting to build!:o
Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1597.jpg
I printed out on a Canon printer and the colors shifted slightly; the tan looks more peachy than it should.
As I remember the build on the other Marek Stuka, the fit was overall very good and I was really impressed with the landing gear former design, but the wheelpants had a fit problem. Can't wait to see if being prepared for it this time makes it easier...
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Hi Chris...

Great choice of subject.. That's a cool scheme for the markings, and it will be fun watching it take shape. I'm starting to get pretty enthused for this "Marathon" ...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
c j walas building a Stuka? How odd!

But seriously, folks, I look forward to this one.

Don
Old 04-17-2009, 05:08 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
What? Chris, Stuka, in the same build thread? Never heard of sucha thing!

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
isn't that in the same vein as me building a Dakar race truck?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Finally got a start on this one!
Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1660.jpg Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1662.jpg
I'm sorry, but I won't be able to not compare this kit to others, so here we go!

Be aware right up front that this is not the most detailed JU-87B kit in 1:33. It may actually be the least detailed. No wait, that would be the old '91 Maly Modelarz version, also in the trop scheme. It doesn't even have an interior!

The cockpit on Marek's is simpler than most other 1:33 kits, but the pilot seat is definitely one of the better ones. This kit also includes the navigator/bombadier's unique safety belt, which many other kits don't have. The fit is good on all these parts.

Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1663.jpg
The nose on the JU-87B is much more complex than other versions of the prototype and almost all of the other kits of this plane take liberties and simplify the forms. The GPM/Fly kit seems to be the only one that works hard to get it right. But this kit does OK with the shape...not great, but OK. The instructions leave something to be desired here and I strongly suggest that the entire nose be carefully formed and dry fit before assembly. I wound up having to force a couple of bits and was left with a couple of small wrinkles.

Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1666.jpg
The fuselage goes together easily and fits well, but be careful with former E. It's the instrument panel bulkhead and it needs to sit against/next to the wing support piece 27A. I'm assuming you're supposed to add this piece much later, but I think it's important to sort this one out before assembling this fuselage section. I also had to trim the sides of former E because it was definitely too wide.

Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1667.jpg
This rudder section is usually a sore spot on Stuka models. It's a compound curve that's most often done as a separate fairing or a piece with many small cuts to achieve the proper curve. Marek has simplified it just slightly and the pieces here fit very well. I was impressed with how easy it was.

Marek Marathon; JU-87B Tropical-img_1669.jpg

I stopped tonight at the tail wings. They went on easily. The spar support is meant to be bent over in a tight U shape for strength, but I think it's a difficult fit if you do that. I cut the spar in half lengthwise, trimmed a slight bit and glued the halves together. It fit like a glove.

Overall so far, this is a fairly simple kit for a Stuka. For the most part, the fit is good, the artwork is fine and the general feel of the kit is a good representation of the prototype given the relatively simple nature of the kit.

Next up, I'm going for the wings. I'm building this out of sequence a bit. The kit sequence goes to the canopy then the tail wheel before the wings. For me, I prefer to keep the canopy till last and the wheels until after all the wings are on. Seems I break fewer parts that way!
Chris
Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
As the same reason as you mentined, I also prefer to install wings right after fuselage build. I am looking forward to your next up
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looking great! and thanks for the commentary gives a good feel for your experience
Chris
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wow! Fast work! And good, as always.

Don
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Utterly fantastic

It is unbelievable how quickly and well your kit is comming together.
I had the wild idea that since I was getting to build the other Marek 1/33 Ju-87 B-2 (R-2) yellow/grey that I could promote a silly challenge between the two of us. Alas, I have not even had time to cut paper and you are well torward being finished. As anticipated, I salute the master. But I still have a bird to build. Thank you for all the great help.

Bob Neill
Google Adsense