PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Marek Marathon: Corsairs

As threatened, I moved the remaining Marek corsairs to a new thread. The only progress on these kits is completing the outer engine cowling skins. This time, I glued the inner skin piece to the inside surface of the outer skin. Instead of trying to close up the petal pieces as I tried with the first version, I decided just to use them as a gluing strip for the cowling rings. As can be seen in the second photo, the petals do join together as a close-kint unit, as I assumed in the first build (and which led to the fit frustration than caused me to snip them off). I painted the inside of the cowling front using a craft-store acrylic paint from one of those cheapie "paint by numbers" looking paint sets in the kid's crafts section of Michaels. I think it ran about $3 US for a set of 24 colors, most of which will be useable in typical modeling applications. I use drybrushing technique for hiding seams (at least when the white is obnoxiously noticable), and coat large areas with a thin layer of Aleene's tacky glue before painting. No observed wrinkling problems using a water-base paint so far.

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-40.jpg

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-46.jpg
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
turned out great!
Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Those are looking real nice!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Another progress report. Not detailed in the previous corsair string was the exhaust detail, so I rectify that omission. What amazes me is the teriffic fit of the parts. Out of a total of eight exhaust subassemblies built, only three required a very minor amount of trimming on just one part...the trough that the exhaust pipes sit in. Throughout this build, parts fit has been exceptional. I apologize for the poor focus of some of the pictures....I'm still trying to come to grips with the autofocus for closeup shots. I think it goes into internal hemorrage mode trying to figure out what plane it should zero in on when several objects of varying distance are in the shot.

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-47.jpg

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-48.jpg

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-49.jpg

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-50.jpg

Marek Marathon:  Corsairs-51.jpg
Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Thats looking great! I like the comparison shot a lot.

Do you have macro mode turned on for the camera (little flower usually shows up) Also make sure you have enough light to not need the flash for macro shots - usually makes them focus better.
Chris