PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
LOL - Michael, instead of GPM, how about doing a repaint of the Gremir Shoki? (or 2, or 3...)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Coming along beautifully, Don. These should be a nice little display when the group is finished!
Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, friends! As long as I keep the camera at a distance and slightly out of focus . . .

Ron -- While I would welcome more Marek 1/50 Shokis, remember that the GreMir Shoki can be easily scaled down to 1/50 and can be made in a simpified version. I have the GreMir Shoki on my short (less than a hundred) list of models to build soon and am now thinking of starting with a 1/50 version. It would be part of a grand plan to build all the Nakajima Army fighters.

I actually made a start on the 1/33 GreMir Shoki during the long-ago Old Troll contest, when I was being harrowed by the horrible Hampden. I got as far as the (slightly lumpy) cowling. It is still a work in progress.

And I also have a little Trotskiy Shoki overlooking the current endeavor.

Both the cowling and the mini-Shoki are visible in the fuzzy photo below, with the horrible Hampden under construction (I think this photo was taken moments before I irrevocably glued the Hampden engine cowling on back-to-front).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Marek Marathon: 1/50 Shoki-shoki-22-other-shokis.jpg  
Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
LOL - Michael, instead of GPM, how about doing a repaint of the Gremir Shoki? (or 2, or 3...)
If I could only coerce John Griffin (John - just a friendly remainder ) to do his magic on the Ki-44 so it can appear as one of the Shinten planes....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Yes. A Shinten Shōki would be good. I wonder how much trouble it would be to back-engineer one of the existing models to duplicate the appearance of the early Ki-44-Is that were assigned to the Southeast Asia-based operational testing unit, the 47th Independent Air Company (47 Dokoritsu Hikō Chutai], also known as the Kawasemi Buntai [Kingfisher Unit], which was stationed in Saigon at the beginning of the war and was the first unit to take the Ki-44 into combat in Malaya. It would be nice to have one of those, since the famous “Shy-shaking Air Superiority Unit” (Shinten Seikutai) was part of the 47th Sentai, which was formed from the 47th Independent Air Company.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I believe all variants shared the same airframe with the only differences being engine and armamemnt.
If this is true (I'm at work away from my trusty Francillon book) then all that really would be needed is to change the camo scheme....
Old 05-06-2009, 02:17 PM

I think you're right, Mike. The one other revision might be the front of the engine. The Kingfisher aircraft were the early types with the oil cooler grill just inside the cowling. For the Marek version and the simple option of the GPM model, this would just require a redrawn engine former. For the "advance" GPM, then the oil cooler grill would have to be provided.

Don
Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The wings look puurfect Don (you knew it was coming), especially the mating of little darts on the leading edge. Darts always make me nervous. I have a great talent for turning the joint into a lumpy, gluey pulp.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Thanks, friends! As long as I keep the camera at a distance and slightly out of focus . . .
Don
You are modest, Don-sama. I peered into the cowling putting magnifier on the computer screen and found that contrary to your understatement, it looks very good.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
You are modest, Don-sama. I peered into the cowling putting magnifier on the computer screen and found that contrary to your understatement, it looks very good.
Don..
I have to agree with YuG. That cowling looks terrific.
Google Adsense