PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.26 MB
Marek Marathon Aviatik Berg D.I 1:33

Hi All,

Well I thouight I would start a build thread on the Aviatik Berg D.I. 1:33.

The Kit:

The kit is 5 pages (included the great cover page art work). Printed on the Canon inkjet 45 Lbs - 170 g/m2 paper. There is a colour difference between the screen and the paper, will need to check my setting the model is a bit on the yellow side once printed, at least in my eyes.

1 page of a brief history and the model assembly diagram and 3 pages of parts.

The kit has a total of 27 parts in the diagram, but a phisycal counts comes out to 75 cut-outs + 43 parts for the engine details :p and some wire for parts and or stifners. Will get back to the engine shortly.

After studying the pages and reading up on Marek models I figured out the the RED numbers reprensent parts the need to be laminated, the Green and Blue are for steel wire, with one exception, parts 17A and 19A which are the wing stifferers and are represented in Green on the diagram.

No specific mention of the Colour codes on this model, no instructions at all, not even any in Polish.

Only detailed part for the 1:33 model is the engine, no cockpit details and no guns :(

Engine:
I have started with the engine, as this is the part that I found very confusing and with guess work involved.

The piping for the manifolds and exhaust are extremly small and lack proper assembly information, so I have guessed.

Please have a look and any comments are welcomed.

More to follow.

Last edited by Charlewood; 04-28-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add detail
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This is great. I was hoping someone would do a build on this one. Unfortunately, instructions/diagrams do not seem to be Marek's strongpoint, as you've discovered. But I'm finding that carefully forming all of the parts and fiddling around with them a bit seems to help get them in the right places! Although I have to admit that I'm not sure I've gotten everything together as Marek planned!
It looks like you've made a good start. I look forward to seeing you do all the hard work of figuring it out for the rest of us!
Chris
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes, we can all empathize with the guesswork part. Good start on your build!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looking great!!! at elast all of mareks builds are similar between genres of planes so once you have done one they are all get easier
Chris
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The engine looks good. You are off to a good start with this historic airplane.

Based on my limited experience, the generally good fit of the parts tends to make up for the lack of instructions. So far, I have found that it is a good idea to build in the sequence of the numbers. These are not beginners' kits, but someone with just a little paper modeling experience can figure out how things should go together -- with occasional challenges as Chris Walas has discovered with his 1/50 Lysander.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
The engine looks good. You are off to a good start with this historic airplane.

Based on my limited experience, the generally good fit of the parts tends to make up for the lack of instructions. So far, I have found that it is a good idea to build in the sequence of the numbers. These are not beginners' kits, but someone with just a little paper modeling experience can figure out how things should go together -- with occasional challenges as Chris Walas has discovered with his 1/50 Lysander.

Don
Not having a problem with the fit, just would have like to have known what the designer intended for some parts of the engine, so far, and in keeping with the way Marek has designed the manifold pipes, I believe there is a slight error, as I would want to hide the glue lines toward the model or space that is not seen, but in keeping with what you say, that these are not beginners' kit, nut then I never mentionned that they where?

I will try to get a few pictures up of the inconsistency, In My Humble Opinion, a shortly.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looking forward to them
Chris