PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Marek Marathon

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33

This is just one of a number of recolors for this kit. I don't really know a darn thing about WWI planes and as I've proven here previously, I'm no great hand at biplanes.:o
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1789.jpg
I think there must be numerous builds of these Marek kits, but I'm doing one here because I think I'll be needing some real help from you guys (and gals).
This plane was flown by acting sergeant Max Holtzem of Jasta 16b. Mr. Holtzem had an interesting life in the air that led him to being a flight inspector for P-51's.
I'm looking forward to this one...hesitantly.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey, Chris. Good luck on that kit. I'll be interested to see how you progress, as I was considering either the Pfalz or the Siemens-Schuckert once I complete the PZL.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM

There was at least one Pfalz D.III build thread over on Zealot in the old days. All I can remember is the lower wing to fuselage join was a little tricky.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Ha! Thanks, Ron. I checked it out and the build thread is of this exact kit is by none other than Carl! Boy, am I intimidated now. I wish it had a few more shots along the way and a better shot of the engine, but it's going to be a big help!
Chris, I'll need all the luck I can get on this one, thanks.
Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good luck, Chris! You are really cracking along with both contests! I'm looking forward to your work on this one.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I've built this kit. The only real trouble I can remember having was with the cowl skin closest to the propeller. It took several tries to get it properly shaped. As I recall Carl had an excellent build thread (different recolor??) on 'Z' that I used as a guide to address some of the other minor fit problems.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi Chris,
I've built this kit a few years ago. It was my own repaint but its exactly the same.
Please, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There's a few pics in my album here too. Good choice as this to me is still one of the sweetest paint jobs!

Ron
Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks Ron. Good to know I'll have you looking over my shoulder. Hope I don't destroy this one too much! I really like this scheme as well, especially the Bavarian Comet over the German cross!
Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
i built one over on zealot with a full build thread - I am sure it will be helpful if you run into issues It was my first biplane too so I know it can be done!
Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM

As some of you may have heard, out here in Santa Barbara, Ca. we're having a little problem in the form of a stubborn wildfire. We were evacuated yesterday and are now in a motel in Ventura, Ca.
I was the last one out of the house and managed to pack up some paper modeling materials at the last second in with the family photos, so....
I finally got a start on this one. I must admit that my mind isn't entirely concentrated on it, but it's good stress relieving stuff;
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1857.jpg
Here's the cockpit interior. The diagram is a little simple in that it shows that parts in simplified forms; details become blocks, etc.
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1858.jpg
Unfortunately, watching wildfires and gluing paper tends to lead to a build up of glue on my hands and this light gray color shows it off perfectly.:o
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1860.jpg
The fuselage goes together well, but more detailed diagrams would be nice.
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1861.jpg
Same with the tail feathers. The one thing I have noticed with Marek's kits is the difficulty estimating the right thickness of cardboard reinforcement to use. This tail skid wound up being almost as thick as the fuselage and I had to slice out some card to thin it down to size.
Marek Marathon Pfalz DIII 1:33-img_1864.jpg
Due entirely to my own disorganization and confusion in working in a new environment, I skipped over putting the engine well in place at the correct juncture. Fortunately, I still managed to get it where it needs to be, I think.
That's it for now..
Chris
Google Adsense