PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Micro/Mini Contest

Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB

You guys are insane....
Jay,
If you tell me that you are going to do a detailed engine, I'm quitting the hobby
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That is crazy small. You sir, should have been a brain surgeon.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Great ! Later, I will try to do it !
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Thanks Guys,

I have three days off now so I am hoping for a little progress on this beastie. I am totally blown away by the multiple entries coming in, I just don't go that fast, if I did, there would be models made but mostly glued to my fingers...LOL

Mike, I don't think you need worry about a detailed engine, had a problem with the pushrod tubes.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM

This is just excellent! I do love tiny planes.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks Jim,

I got busy and rolled up the fuselage around the bulkhead formers provided in the kit. I found that if I applied glue to the top of the former and placed it in the main part of the fuselage where I wanted it, I could get all three of them in place and then apply glue to the bottom of the formers and the seam and roll it on up. The mid section where the cockpit went required two formers when I got to it which left me with one shy. I just cut out another card former from an extra print out so that I could have one for the forward engine cowling along with the engine cutout. So my model does actually have one extra former in it. Here are the fuselage parts rolled up and laid out with the wings and their inner panels so you can see that everything does have the shapes that they are supposed to.

When I got to gluing the cowling and it's little front section together, I noticed that the engine front sat too far back for the propeller to actually touch it. I didn't want to glue the propeller to the front of the cowling, that wouldn't be kosher at this point so I used several card discs to make up the center of the engine block to mount the propeller to, this could be mounted to the engine front and not touch the cowling front.

With everything ready, I squeezed out another dot of Aleene's Tacky Glue and got a fresh toothpick. The biggest problem I have been having with the glue for this model is that the little dots dry up before I get a chance to use them all up, so little is required for the tiny parts. All the pieces more or less matched up so it didn't look too bad. You can even see the dark blue top, mid blue center and white bottom so that is another good thing about my micro build. If you look at the landing gear front panels you can even read the number 58, if you use a magnifying glass. So here is my first entry into this little foray.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Awsome looks great and tiny
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
wow thats awesome, I can see im gonna have to step it up lol
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bravo, Jay! The photo on my screen must be considerably larger than the model and it looks great.

Don
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks Guys,

This is a fun contest to tinker in, I must admit. I have decided to go to my usual genre for my next entry though. While Aircraft are nice, especially if they got Navy or Marine Corps painted on the side and a set of floats under the wings, ships are more my forte. With that in mind and the contest regs stipulating that all parts on the original must be used, I remembered this download of the JMSDF Oyashio diesel electric submarine that came off the internet that I had saved.

The original fills up a full page nicely and builds into a pretty fair looking model, if a little under-detailed. Playing with the printer settings I managed, what I suppose is a 1/700 scale version of this kit. At least it compares to other 1/700 scale submarines that I have in the plastic side of the display cabinets, so that is what I am going to call it. So here is the original printout with my intended victim along with my F6F3 Hellcat for a size comparison.

Not having any doubts about getting the materials used to conform to the shapes required, I am going to print this one on 65 pound card stock and ordinary copy paper to see which one is easier to tame into the shape of this little submarine. That 10 bladed propeller is looking scarier by the minute........
Google Adsense