PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Micro/Mini Contest

Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Treadhead's Micro-Mini Contest Entry

Hi All,

After looking about for a suitable subject for this contest, Mike from Gremir Models handed me the perfect solution when he offered up a link to a site for an alternate version of the H8K2 Emily Flying Boat for my upcoming IJN Akitsushima build. Here is the link to the site if anyone would like to check it out, there are a number of interesting projects there.

Fanatyk Kartonu - Modele FK

I chose Model #1 as my subject for this one, a Gruman F-6F-3 Hellcat in USS Saratoga colors. To qualify for the contest, I chose to print it out using the "Booklet" Printing Option on my printing program. Originally it yields a 1/200 scale aircraft, to my abused and overclocked Mark One Eyeballs it looks to be just about 1/700 scale at that reduction level.

So who else is up for this contest? Lets see some goodies Ya'll!
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
sweet! watching it
Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks Chris,

I clipped out all the parts to this little Hellcat, 31 in all. The first ones that got assembled were the main wheels and landing gear doors. In this size, I guess there isn't much sense in trying to replicate landing gear struts. I glued the two halves of the tires together then glued one to each of the landing gear doors. Using 110 pound card stock to print this out on means not having to add inner sections to the tires, two plies of 110 Pound card stock is just about the right thickness for a model plane this size. I may have to reprint some of the pieces out of ordinary typing or copy paper to do justice to this sized model, I will just have to see how it goes.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Gaaaa! Neat to see but I'd chop off my own fingers trying this one! <grin>.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent, Jay! I tried this one once and failed miserably. You are clearly making a very fine go of it.

I have a lot of the Fanatyk Kartonu models downloaded and hope someday to have the skill to actually build some of them. I am keenly observing your progress and taking notes for future reference.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks Guys,

Don, I used my new Micro Punch set from Micro Mark Tools to punch out the wheels and the cowling front. That was the only way I could guarantee absolutely round tires and a nice clean round hole for the engine front to peek out of. As to how well it comes out from here, well, we shall see. I may have to resort to regular paper for some parts in order to be able to fold, bend, spindle, or other wise mutilate them. But then this is just for fun.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
I used my new Micro Punch set from Micro Mark Tools to punch out the wheels and the cowling front. That was the only way I could guarantee absolutely round tires and a nice clean round hole for the engine front to peek out of.
But no wheel wells? I don't think I can follow this thread.

Tappi
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Sigh....

I must apologize for the lack of wheel wells, cockpit, or even a pilot figure. But unfortunately the lamp on my microscope burned out and I am having a devil of a time finding one as the original was manufactured by the Edison Lamp Company.

As I had suspicioned, I did have to reprint some of the parts for this out of ordinary copy paper in order to be able to get the wings, tail surfaces and fuselage parts to conform to the shapes that they were designed to. I did use the original card stock parts for the interior formers for the fuselage, the wheels and landing gear covers, the engine face (I figured out that it is supposed to be the front cowling support to give it the proper shape) as well as the wing spar.

I managed to get the wings and tail surfaces folded and formed. The wings actually have an air foil shape to them. Hopefully I will get the fuselage parts shaped around the formers tomorrow. I know, I build about like Molasses in the winter time.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Looks great TH :D

I have those models buried in the PC somewhere :P

Lookin forward to more progress on this one.

G1
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
Coming along well