PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 04-16-2020, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3

Been jotting down ideas for this project for the last few years.

In 2016 I re-drew the whole thing. It is bigger, the graphics were changed on the body to look more like a bee. Real interesting to see Bee's bodies through a magnifying lens.

Today was going to post some photos of it printing. However; reread my #2 Project thread.

Good thing, showed some of my problem areas. Checked out the re-design and realized an easy fix for a couple of the major issues.

Will fix the issues and this weekend will start the build.

Spoolgun welding my aluminum power skid system will be one of the first steps!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2020, 12:03 PM

Printing Complete

Printed 10-sheets of 24"x36" [60.96cm x 91.44cm] Springhill Tag 125# Cardstock.

Photo of 1st sheet (fuselage) printing.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0748.jpg

Big set back on Saturday. Started early in the morning. Decided to create a fresh drawing. The old one was created before finalizing my AutoCAD layers, wanted to bring it into a correct setup drawing.

Drew all day long in this new drawing, saving updates as I went. Well, around 6pm, lost power. When computer was back up and running, nothing was saved. That's when I found out failed to setup the AutoCAD 2019 save options.

Left no choice but to start over, decided to change the airfoil and add some landing gear.

Basically redrew the whole thing.

Bought all kinds of carbon fiber square tubing to use for the wing spars, and as needed.

While re-drawing came up with an idea for using cardstock instead. The cardstock will not have any fiberglass or carbon fiber backing it up, the cardstock spar will be nothing but cardstock and Aleene's Turbo Tacky.

Yes, it will be 10-times heavier but, think this idea will work. Test build shows it to be very strong.

No photos yet, plan to build the 1st of 6 spars after the aluminum is welded for the power skid system. Will post photos of it as a "bridge" holding weight before it buckles. Hoping it will at least support 5lbs by itself.

For safety reasons, certain parts are going to be made using aircraft plywood/basswood and balsa wood. The leading and trailing edge will be balsa wood. A balsa center rib inside the aluminum frame work will be the only balsa rib, two ribs are the aluminum power skid. End of wingtips will be two inches of balsa and basswood to allow the rudders a solid mount. Have an idea how to secure them against the 150mph+ speeds possible. The rudders will be 3/32" plywood sandwiched between 3/32" basswood covered with cardstock. Flutter is a serious concern. Elevons-plywood/basswood.

Model has had complete re-design, should be able to handle 150mph no problem. Weight has been added to slow it down! Reason why the cardstock spars/ribs are being used. Drag being added to reduce speed: Fixed landing gear.

If spar doesn't pass bridge test, then carbon fiber to the rescue!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-23-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: the Spar
Old 04-25-2020, 08:44 AM

Aluminum Parts

After several evenings of cutting, the aluminum parts have been cut out.

No Fancy saw to do this. My hacksaw has an angle blade position, by using that angle was able to completely cut the aluminum parts out. 1/8" Thick 5052 aluminum, my hands are sore. Not used to that kind of work! Cutting torch can only cut mild steel. Do have a skill saw with a diablo blade for cutting aluminum, too many curves to use it.

Drilled holes to get the blade inside for the spar locations. You can see all six of the spar locations. Six are needed if using just the cardstock and no carbon or fiberglass.

Parts weighed in at first 1lb 5.6oz [.708kg]. Weight after drilling a few lightening holes 15.5oz [.439kg].
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0751.jpg

BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0754.jpg

In the center of these will be a balsa wood rib 3/16" thick. Both wing spars will "Plug" into the aluminum and the balsa wood to lock everything into place.

Cardstock ribs have been laminated to the backing from a couple of desk top calendars.

Next step will be to build and then fit the ribs and spars to the center power skid (aluminum parts). Once spars fit the balsa and aluminum parts, the power skid will be welded.

Could have used thinner aluminum and TIG welding, much better at MIG welding aluminum. Decided to use the 1/8" and wire feed weld it.

Will be making the wingtip ends using solid balsa and 1/4" thick basswood. Need solid mount for the rudders. Will be carving them once the wood is glued together.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Have you thought about getting a scroll saw? I hear they can be found for reasonable prices. Not that I've been able to find one to prove those rumors.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Have you thought about getting a scroll saw? I hear they can be found for reasonable prices. Not that I've been able to find one to prove those rumors.
Hi Aaron,

Not really. This is the only project that I'll do with aluminum, unless I find a cheap R/C model Turbine engine.

Have chop saws and cutting torch for my metal working hobby. I build wood stoves for friends. Real efficient and use far less wood than normal stoves. Make them out of 1/4" mild steel plate. Small fire inside warms the steel, it radiates heat and the fire stays small, almost smoldering, to keep the cabin warm.

Scroll saw just wouldn't work very well.

Nice videos on your youtube channel!

Just tried to fit one of my test build spars through the openings. Each & everyone of the holes are under-sized. Lots of filing in my future. Plan to file the top and bottom of all parts to smooth them up from the saw teeth marks.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer; 04-25-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2020, 08:35 PM

Ribs & Spars

Used Super 77 to laminate the ribs to the back of some desk calendars I've saved. They are long enough that the ribs fit. Looks like some kind of chipboard about 1mm thick. Perfect for my use.

Spars cutting, folding and gluing, total of 12 spars to do, 6-per side. 3m 77 again before folding, and using the square wood dowels shown to be able to apply pressure to the spar. Three layer spar of Springhill 125# TAG cardstock.

Doing the really small spars first. Small in height x width they are the longest, they reach all the way to the tips.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0757.jpg

Balsa wood Center Rib. This rib is located inside the aluminum ribs for the power skid. Decided to use 1/4" thick balsa wood to make it. Main wing spars will be inserted 1/8" on each side and glued.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0759.jpg

Spar before cutting and one after scoring fold lines. Spar was cut out and then folded into the proper shape several times to get it to remember folds, makes it easier when gluing.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0764.jpg

Square wood dowel helping with the applying pressure to the spar to get good glue set on all 4-sides.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0769.jpg

More to follow, just getting started.

Mike
Old 04-28-2020, 08:05 PM

Aluminum Skid

At lunch today, welded up the power skid.

There is a good reason why I don't weld for a living. The weight loss would be a bad thing.

Used a spoolgun to weld the skid. Had to make several passes to get a good amount of filler metal on the joints.

Even after clamping it till it was cool, acquired plenty of warping that will need straightened. Engine mounts not exactly lined up.

Might have been a good idea to wait before drilling all the holes. Note to self, if do this again.

3/32" aircraft plywood underneath. These will be the rudders and the elevons, cardstock will never hold up, flutter is a concern, going to mount the rudders as strongly as possible using paper/wood.

Here is a photo
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0784.jpg

Wingtip is made using balsa wood, and basswood. Balsa is 1-3/4" wide with a 1/4" thick chunk of basswood glued to the end. Will use screws to mount the rudder to the basswood. The wing spars will insert 1/2" inside the larger end rib for gluing to the tip. The cardstock will cover the whole tip being glued directly onto the wood, will add a degree of twist to create the wingwash Don mentioned in a different thread:
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0781.jpg

In case you might be wondering why the two boxes of tire weights and a black clamp between them is doing in this photo: They are clamping down on the wing spar being glued underneath the boxes total weight used is 33lbs in tire weights. The boxes weigh 9lbs each, have 4-clamps total holding it down as well, they need to be straight and completely glued solid all three layers! This is where the square wood dowel shown above comes in real handy.
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0774.jpg

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-28-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Wingtip photo
Old 05-01-2020, 11:45 PM

Working on the Spars/Ribs tonight after work.

Been thinking about how strong the straight cardstock will be. Once the wing is complete, it should be able to support 30lbs or 6 times the projected weight of 5lb ready to fly.

Figure if it can support that weight it will be able to handle the flight loads it will encounter. Not enough to do aerobatics, but enough to do some tight turns if needed.

Decided to use some carbon fiber after all. Reason; it fits the exact location where stringers of cardstock go. The front stringers will still be cardstock.

Carbon fiber strips are .25" wide and .0196" thick. Flexible but strong if used vertically. That is how they will be used, two per wing near the CG location. (Center of gravity = CG)

Top and bottom of wing means they will act as a spar ; they will carry a major portion of the load. Decided to go a safer route just to be sure it is safe to fly.

The cardstock stringers are .25"x .036" thick (the cardstock is .009" thick per laminate x 4= .036") instead of 4-per side, now just two are being used.

Up until now was totally planning to use just cardstock. The balsa wood being used is for alignment purposes in the leading edge, the trailing edge also for alignment but main reason= solid mounting surface for the Elevons.

Mike
Old 05-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Talk About Luck

My daughter some time ago purchased a set of landing gear at a garage sale. They were $1.

She kept hiding the gear until she knew I was on this project. When she dropped them off yesterday, couldn't believe what they are. The perfect surprise box!

Full suspension, lite weight, front is steerable; Landing gear issue solved. Will use basswood to make mounts:
BUZZZZZZZ3 Pulse Jet Powered Paper Airplane Project #3-pict0788.jpg

Suspension allows 3/4" of travel, spring loaded as shown in photo. Will change the main tire from 2" to 2.5" which will be the correct height designed for.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-03-2020 at 11:59 AM.