PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 03-02-2022, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsailor1981 View Post
That looks beautiful, you have pushed the envelope with that rocket. Can't wait to see photos of it fly.
Thank you.

Been in touch with Estes-was asking about 10-oz weight at the time. They assured me a 14-oz lift weight is possible.

The issue might be the drag curve. At 6.75" diameter, will too much drag stop the rocket from getting high enough and the 3-second delay might mean it is back on the ground before the ejection charge goes off.

Will be using a super long launch rod 1/4" diameter stainless steel at 5feet long.

If it doesn't go high enough, good thing it is made out of paper. It will tear before it breaks...

To mention: I have some new cardstock heading this way. Bought 750 sheets of Cougar White Smooth Cover 60# or 162.3gsm. Sheet size is 24"wide x 40" long. Now looking at buying the same brand but get the 80# Cover or 216.4gsm for heavier duty projects. Just about out of the old 125# 203.5gsm Tag-needing a replacement when I found the Cover. The lighter weight that will be here next week will work for this model size. Should drop about 50 grams of model weight.

The lighter weight also means the Saturn 1b might work.
Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 03-02-2022 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Mention Cover Purchase
Old 07-16-2022, 10:39 AM

Back on Project

Today I am back on this project. Time to get them in the air.

One rocket is ready for flight, the other is final steps of construction.

An issue with flight after checking weight and balance CG location: These will have oversize fins and the engine bells will not be attached for flight-very unstable flight could result!

Super large fins would be needed for the engine bells: experimenting with a Clear Fin option to double the size of the current stabilizer fins as an overlay top skin. The only other option is to add a weight to the nosecone.

The clear fins: Bought some ink-jet overhead projector clear film. Print on this and then transfer/glue to a heavy sheet of clear plastic-I have several sheets saved. Fins can be printed larger and plan is to extend them below the skirts so that the original fin leading edge is the same. This will decrease the size needed and still give better control. Clear enough all you will see is the balsa and cardstock version. The extension should be almost invisible.

I will laminate the overhead projector film into several layers to see if it can handle the flight loads-simplifies the build process by needing fewer items.

Been super busy these last few months. Airplane stuff and built a huge High Tunnel Greenhouse, 15ft x 24ft and did a full raised bed garden by hauling in over 30yds of dirt. The remainder was wheelbarrowed and shoveled by hand into a large flower garden. All 30yds were moved with a shovel.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-16-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Weight added
Old 07-16-2022, 01:05 PM

Clear Stabilizer Fin Prints

Printed the sheet of clear overhead projector media. Photo below shows transparency and the larger Stabilizer Fin outline.
Estes Power-clear-fins.jpg

Printed one sheet with Fins. Now going to glue second sheet to first before cutting out.

These fins will be glued to original fins as a top-skin. Zip-Dry glue should work, it is clear and works great with plastic/cardstock.

I bought the overhead projector ink-jet media on eBay. Works great for clear canopies. Can print outline and any between the panes structures with color etc. Colored Ink looks good when printed.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-16-2022 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Info about Clear media
Old 10-30-2022, 11:24 AM

The Overhead Projector idea was a flop. The plastic is to "Floppy", had to laminate 3-sheets to get any kind of strength. This made the fins incredibly heavy. The weight alone removed any of the additional stability the larger fins would have given.

Printed and working on upgrades to the the model.

Printed another Estes Rocket idea. Trying to fly it as a glider, however the weight and balance could mean it will be a parachute recovery 4ft long Lockheed SR 71 HABU Blackbird. Will be working on both projects this winter. HABU is printed, no cutting yet.

One of the Estes rockets I built years ago was a F14 Tomcat. The ejection charge swung the wings for glider flight recovery. Looking at all options for my SR71. Ejection charge might move a small weight forward to help balance for gliding, or move an elevator to stabilize the glide. Not sure if any of this will work, one way to find out.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-30-2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: ejection charge
Old 10-31-2022, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Nice work!

He is my show and tell!

Keep up the great projects!
Attached Thumbnails
Estes Power-final-sts1-stack.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2022, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Fascinating stuff Mike. I remember OHP film being quite 'floppy'. How about the plastic sheets used in laminators? A bit heavier than OHP but once it's been through a heat cycle it becomes quite rigid. Perhaps laminated between two sheets of paper? Or laminate the paper fin between two plastic sheets.
Might be a bit on the heavy side. Just a thought - not necessarily a good one!
Old 10-31-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
He is my show and tell!

Keep up the great projects!
Very nice. The kids got to watch our build ark through the air on fire. That was after several successful flights. The glider was the kids favorite part of the flight, it was always a requested rocket when we went to fly. That was several years ago-both are in their late 30's now.

Yours looks great!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-31-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Fascinating stuff Mike. I remember OHP film being quite 'floppy'. How about the plastic sheets used in laminators? A bit heavier than OHP but once it's been through a heat cycle it becomes quite rigid. Perhaps laminated between two sheets of paper? Or laminate the paper fin between two plastic sheets.
Might be a bit on the heavy side. Just a thought - not necessarily a good one!
Yes, the laminator plastic does get stiff.

Thinking to get this project finished will be to use the paper fins and test other things once it is in the air, if further testing is required.

When I re-visit the Atlas Mercury Rocket, will be making clear fins for it, now that I know the OHP is too flimsy, the laminator plastic will probably work for it.

Been saving some clear plastic packaging material from work. Flat and perfect size to get three sets of Atlas fins at 3-each. The issue will be finding a clear glue to keep them clear, still need to glue 2-laminates together, the laminator heat keeps the heated plastic clear....Might be able to cut the saved plastic and sandwich as the part being laminated.

Thank you for the idea!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-31-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:49 AM

Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
In the post above I mention weighing the rocket and spin testing it.

The reason for the weight check: You can use almost any cardstock to make. The larger ones where made using 125# Tag [203gsm]. Index 110# [199gsm] will work great, however you can use 90lb Index [163gsm] or 65# Cover [176gsm] if you want. This will make a lighter weight rocket.

I'm in the build stage for some testing, should have the Saturn V at 1/60 scale ready for the engine later today/early tomorrow. If calculations, using an estimated weight, are correct D12-3 should work.

Will find out if the drag curve works with the 3-second delay.

Looking at lifting the 1/48 scale with E12-4 power. Printed ready for building. This one will be after the 1/60 flies.

Estes package arrived, still waiting on the Hobbylinc. order.

I'm surprised that more cardstock rockets aren't designed for use with Estes power. Each of the model rocket websites I visit all have cardstock forums. Most are models that the builders need to convert for their use. They love scale rockets-seen plenty here that would work.

Mike

You will want to do that in dead wind and vert, (no angle). You are gonna push the envelope on the delay. That baby is gonna still have lots of energy in the coast phase and may end up darting downward with all the nose weight that will be required to balance.

I am speaking from experience. You may be able to reduce the weight in construction from what i did and get a better...boost.

No negatives just my 2 cents.

I wish You luck and will check in on Your progress!
Old 11-01-2022, 04:51 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Very nice. The kids got to watch our build ark through the air on fire. That was after several successful flights. The glider was the kids favorite part of the flight, it was always a requested rocket when we went to fly. That was several years ago-both are in their late 30's now.

Yours looks great!

Mike

Ill have a flight video up asap. It was a fast flyer for sure lol.
Google Adsense