PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 11-28-2022, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hi Mike,

Loving your work. If you need a good laugh, take a look at these little videos of two of my paper models-turned-Estes rockets. They are a blast (ha, ha). Not nearly as cool or as involved as yours, but still fun.

More Homemade Rocket Fun - YouTube
Ultraman's VTOL as a Paper Card Model Converted to a Model Rocket! - YouTube

I'd love to see a video of your exploits!

Keep on posting,
Dan
Old 11-29-2022, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Hi Mike,

Loving your work. If you need a good laugh, take a look at these little videos of two of my paper models-turned-Estes rockets. They are a blast (ha, ha). Not nearly as cool or as involved as yours, but still fun.

More Homemade Rocket Fun - YouTube
Ultraman's VTOL as a Paper Card Model Converted to a Model Rocket! - YouTube

I'd love to see a video of your exploits!

Keep on posting,
Dan
Hi Dan,

Awesome videos.

What do you use for the casing on your engines?

Interesting flights.

Mike
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 AM

Hi Mike,

I just found a left over paper tube from one of my other rockets that just fit an "A" size engine and used that. It just fits through two balsa bulkheads on either end of the main body and has a little rolled ring inside near the base to keep the engine from flying forward. The next one I'm working on is being more purposefully built! Taking my time and making a proper nose cone etc. It's from the Canon paper site and is a model of a Japanese cargo rocket. Pretty cool.

I'm glad someone else is playing with these. Really love your Saturns.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 11-30-2022, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Your quote:

(Updates on models:
1/65 ready to fly on D12-3)

That Saturn should use a E12-4 min. You need altitude and short delay. The D is fast off the pad but will not give you the air you need for the chute to slow it down.

IMHLO
Old 12-01-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
Your quote:

(Updates on models:
1/65 ready to fly on D12-3)

That Saturn should use a E12-4 min. You need altitude and short delay. The D is fast off the pad but will not give you the air you need for the chute to slow it down.

IMHLO
Been some time since my last flights. The Saturn V my kids and I used to fly weighed more than this one. Thinking since it weighs less it should do well.

It only weighs 10.5oz, Estes told me the D12-3 would lift 14oz.

The drag should give about the same performance as their Saturn V that was much heavier (3.5oz).

I do have some E12-4 and -6.

The 1/8 scale should fly with two D12-3.

The cardstock and foam create incredible strength while keeping the weight down.

Designed, welded a table for a 4-ft wide hot wire compound bow. Allows me to buy foam at the local hardware store and cut in 1/4" thickness as needed.

Yesterday, bought some of the pink foam insulating board and hotwired a 1/4" thick piece to use for the 1/8 Scale fins. Weight from coroplast/balsa (22.0gms and 18gms) dropped to only 7.42 grams. It seems to be strong but flexible. Should work great with the cardstock covering.

Should finish up this weekend and be ready for flights testing on Sunday.

These will probably be big "sailing" vessels so any wind is a no-go.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Been some time since my last flights. The Saturn V my kids and I used to fly weighed more than this one. Thinking since it weighs less it should do well.

It only weighs 10.5oz, Estes told me the D12-3 would lift 14oz.

The drag should give about the same performance as their Saturn V that was much heavier (3.5oz).

I do have some E12-4 and -6.

The 1/8 scale should fly with two D12-3.

The cardstock and foam create incredible strength while keeping the weight down.

Designed, welded a table for a 4-ft wide hot wire compound bow. Allows me to buy foam at the local hardware store and cut in 1/4" thickness as needed.

Yesterday, bought some of the pink foam insulating board and hotwired a 1/4" thick piece to use for the 1/8 Scale fins. Weight from coroplast/balsa (22.0gms and 18gms) dropped to only 7.42 grams. It seems to be strong but flexible. Should work great with the cardstock covering.

Should finish up this weekend and be ready for flights testing on Sunday.

These will probably be big "sailing" vessels so any wind is a no-go.

Mike

I would recommend no on a E12-6, (to long on the delay for chutes). As for a D12-3...High impulse for quick off the pad movement...but the length of time on propulsive flight is very limited. You need some altitude for the chutes to do their job for deceleration....hate for her to hit ground at higher speed expected.

To do a final check... Run a Rock Sim on it or do the back of the envelope math like me lol....just to be safe...

I have flown my 1:48th scale Saturn V with self constructed propulsion system...not black powder. It is a beast and cost me 200 dollars on last launch for the engine components...she is a pretty hanger queen now. I wish you luck and would be glad to assist you with advise as you progress if you want.

Again just commenting form experience...Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:20 AM

Btw

Just for the record ...the E12-4 was designed for a second stage and has a lower impulse off the pad...but will have a long enough push to get it up there...

You will probably hit 600-700 feet.

Also at apogee the stress on the fins will be very high! Please epoxy them in place and make them at least 1/8"...don't ask how i discovered this...lol.

Good Luck and Godspeed!
Old 12-01-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
I would recommend no on a E12-6, (to long on the delay for chutes). As for a D12-3...High impulse for quick off the pad movement...but the length of time on propulsive flight is very limited. You need some altitude for the chutes to do their job for deceleration....hate for her to hit ground at higher speed expected.

To do a final check... Run a Rock Sim on it or do the back of the envelope math like me lol....just to be safe...

I have flown my 1:48th scale Saturn V with self constructed propulsion system...not black powder. It is a beast and cost me 200 dollars on last launch for the engine components...she is a pretty hanger queen now. I wish you luck and would be glad to assist you with advise as you progress if you want.

Again just commenting form experience...Hope this helps.
Wow! Thank you for the offer of assistance.

Yes, will take you up on it! The last major launching, for me, was back around 1988 when my kids were young.

Beginning to see the picture you are painting, the drag will be huge once the propulsion stops. Being lightweight there isn't much mass for momentum.

Planning on the D12-3 due to lower power and if the rocket can handle it, wanted to fly with it first, but the E12-4 will be my first launch of an engine that size, so once again relying on something familiar over a total new power I haven't seen in action yet.

E12-4 only weighs 0.1oz more and can get rid of the orange spacer for the D12-3.
Will think some more, we have lots of cold conditions with wet snow between cold spells the next 10-days. Launch not going to happen yet. Very limited daylight now, so will have to be a weekend launch.

Mike
Old 12-02-2022, 12:26 PM

Can't wait to see the outcome!

I have had weather issues here for the last few weekends. Hopefully I can get some planes and rockets up this weekend.
I flew the SpaceX Star ship last week when there was a break in the rain. Lost a balsa flight fin due to the stress I warned you about lol. Got her down safe and flight profile was on the mark. Repairing the fin for next flight. Ill get a video up soon. Next up is the New Shepard, Space 1999 eagle, and the New Estes Super Orbital Transport...just need good weather and wind.

If you want me to run some numbers or need some input. I'll check in here tomorrow night and Sunday.

Good Luck and Godspeed!!
Old 12-02-2022, 03:43 PM

Duke!

I have been flying that new Orbital Transporter. It's awesome and works great!

That is all...now, back to paper modeling.

Dan
Google Adsense