PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 01-03-2023, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
?

Why the cluster? Is it due to your center rod config.?

Just wondering ...due to possible misfire of one during launch process.

looking great so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Saturn is complete except for recovery system.

Time to install the Stabilizer Fins and get the build stage complete.

Still need to install the recovery system.

Fins
Attachment 486342

Foam bulkhead cut, just need to remove
Attachment 486343

Cut and ready to glue fins
Attachment 486344

Fins done
Attachment 486345

Saturn 1B total weight 17.1oz estimated was 17.5oz with parachute. This one is a little heavy due to excess glue needed.
Attachment 486346

Lesson learned: When working with foam, make sure the part fit is good. Tight and forcing to fit: the foam will cause push back and pop the fin out causing miss-alignments as well.

Need an Atlas and Titan to fill in the gap. 1/12 scale probably.... Wait'll the Bumper B7, WRESAT, EXPLORER are complete in 1/12 scale, lots of models to go yet.

Mike
Old 01-03-2023, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
Why the cluster? Is it due to your center rod config.?

Just wondering ...due to possible misfire of one during launch process.

looking great so far!
Always liked the clusters. With the weight and the size, not sure what the drag will do, so clusters will get it in the air over a single.

Most of these are very close to the Max lift weight for a single, thinking safer to go with the clusters.

Then have to watch out not to go over 80n-sec of thrust, or turn into High Power with out the certs.

Having super big issue getting engines to Alaska. Only D size and smaller can ship. If I want bigger have to have a shipping address in the Lower 48, or buy direct from Estes, which does not give a discount on pricing, no matter how many I were to buy. AC Supply has the best pricing on bulk orders. Saved $140 buying 60 each D12-3 engines buying from AC Supply vs., Estes.

I will be getting a re-sale card, then maybe Estes will give bulk pricing.

Clusters for bigger rockets: For now D12-3 are only option once I fire off the E12-4 and E12-6 packs I bought from Estes already.

If D12-3 only available, then have to go with clusters for the big rockets over 14-oz.

I have the Estes Pro Series Launch Controller. Plan to solder the JSC connectors onto some leads and then hook up to a 12v car battery.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-03-2023 at 03:03 PM. Reason: battery
Old 01-04-2023, 05:34 AM

Understood

Thanks for the look into your situation on the engines too.

PM me if you wish.... I have a few ideas to bounce off of you.... if you wish to confab..

May Your Skies Be Clear!
Old 01-12-2023, 08:13 PM

Anchorage House of Hobby Visit

Quote:
Thanks for the look into your situation on the engines too.

PM me if you wish.... I have a few ideas to bounce off of you.... if you wish to confab..

May Your Skies Be Clear!
Just back from a trip to Anchorage. First stop was the Anchorage House of Hobbies. They had plywood available, 1/8"x12"x48" was $39.99. Aircraft Spruce is $57 for a 4x4 sheet.

1-bag of igniters, nothing bigger than D12-3 in stock.

Need fins for the 1/7 Scale WAC Corporal Bumper B8 I'm building. Has some really big Fin surface area. Plywood best choice.

Ordered some F engines to experiment with, this model will try Mid power single. Should weigh in at 27.8oz estimated.

Like the look of some of the Aero-Tech reloads. They are a composite motor and don't need hazmat shipping restrictions.

Once these are flying will start trying some of the 24mm E size eventually switching to the 29mm size for the bigger E & F sizes. G-size cross over into High Power, so will not be crossing the 80N-sec line. That is only 4 of the D12-3 in a cluster.

Soldered up some igniters for 2 and 3 clusters The twist the wire method does not work with these newer style igniters. Way different than I remember. Used to have a Saturn V that used a cluster of three c-size when I was a kid back in the late/early 60/70's. Used a car battery for power, never had a problem getting them going. Working with these delicate style, broke one and decided to solder the rest.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-12-2023 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Ordered F size motors on-line
Old 01-13-2023, 09:16 AM

Making Stuff...

When you contact...

I'll explain to you how to make your own igniters, wadding, and how to make your own engines...(Being in Your neck of the woods, I'm sure that You can source some black powder ..lol).

I try to economize with all my projects...i.e. card stock , fabricating accessories, etc...

May You have Clear Sky...And Fly Safe!
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2023, 11:43 AM

Excellent!

Quote:
When you contact...

I'll explain to you how to make your own igniters, wadding, and how to make your own engines...(Being in Your neck of the woods, I'm sure that You can source some black powder ..lol).

I try to economize with all my projects...i.e. card stock , fabricating accessories, etc...

May You have Clear Sky...And Fly Safe!
Wow, thank you for the offer. Have plenty of accessories/supplies for my Dillion 450B.

Was going to post about my newest purchase. Quick Dip for making the igniters. Have plenty of Cat5 wire.

Have a hot wire foam cutter with plenty of Nichrome wire.

The quick dip for igniters is the weak link, very hard to get shipped to Alaska. Most of the igniters have to ship hazmat: no matter if only 6-in the pack. Every hobby store visited so far, only found 1-pack for sale.

Quick dip is the only answer for testing how many rockets getting ready to convert. I have 40-air powered rocket designs created since 2010 when I started doing rockets. Around the time Yogi contacted me about the Stomp rocket launcher system.

Have decided against doing my own engines for now. Need to get models converted. Adding another step in the process to make engines will delay testing. For now until most are flying will stick to buying engines, due to the quickness for re-flight testing models if issues found.

Already ordered plenty of engines to test all summer.

On my design computer been working on a new design that most modelers make for themselves.

Escape Tower Beach launch version of the boiler plate Mercury capsule. Looks like size will be around 1/4scale to fit 3 each 18mm engines.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-14-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Dillion blue
Old 01-14-2023, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
And at the extreme other end of the spectrum, This fellow (BPS Space) tells about his rocket with no fins, the motor is gimbaled.

I have seen some of you all out there incorporate some pretty snazzy electronics, so enjoy...

I Landed A Rocket Like SpaceX - Scout F - YouTube

al