PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 11-18-2023, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynoldsSlumber View Post
Hi Mike, I made one!
Attachment 503437Attachment 503438Attachment 503439

Used 65# cover paper, maybe a little thin for the purpose.
Couple tweaks I tried out:
- Added glue tabs
- Gave the wing an "S"-shaped camber profile: dunno whether that helps, but I've seen it done on other delta-winged gliders

Glides fine indoors! Used some up-elevator, plus upturned aft wingtips per the "S"-shaped profile. Didn't need to add any nose or tail weight. Will give it a go outdoors when the weather cooperates.

Nice XL there, always a fun prototype.
Thank you for the post! Always good to see when someone builds one. How was the part fit?

The Xl you mention: Been modified. Model was drawn at 30ft long 20ft wide wingspan. Fuselage 30" diameter. Not exactly a F16 fuselage anymore. General aviation size. Been working on the "paint" for it.

Sky OV project this weekend. Hope it works out! Super cool looking future supersonic passenger plane. Side views top views everything needed....

Mike
Old 11-18-2023, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Parts fit was good. Between the thin paper and the handmade "S" profile wing slot that I used, I didn't get the fuselage very square to the wing. Also with the glue tabs I thought I wouldn't need the fuselage tail internal reinforcement, though in hindsight maybe it would've been a good idea to include it anyway for holding up to finger grip during rubber catapult launches. Glue tabs on the launch hook do make it very sturdy.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:59 AM

SKY OV Supersonic Future Design Passenger Aircraft

Quote:
Parts fit was good. Between the thin paper and the handmade "S" profile wing slot that I used, I didn't get the fuselage very square to the wing. Also with the glue tabs I thought I wouldn't need the fuselage tail internal reinforcement, though in hindsight maybe it would've been a good idea to include it anyway for holding up to finger grip during rubber catapult launches. Glue tabs on the launch hook do make it very sturdy.
Yes, internal parts are for the fingers when using the rubber band launch.

Makes a big difference for launching. Have been installing on all models now. The F-4 with the really small tail might be okay.

SKY OV Supersonic Passenger Aircraft Model: Needs nose weight to fly. Added some glue to see if that might work.
Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0698.jpg

Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0699.jpg

Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0702.jpg

Mike
Old 11-19-2023, 02:18 PM

Updated Graphic: Danger High Voltage

Some updated photos of the Danger High Voltage model:
Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0703.jpg

Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0707.jpg

Rubber Band Catapult Gliders-pict0708.jpg

This is the one version I like. Three other versions, one with lightning bolts everywhere past engine intake. One with just fuselage, other with about 50% reduced from full coverage.

Lightning bolts take a while to draw. Once done you can now copy and past as needed...

Mike
Old 12-04-2023, 12:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Aerion AS2 outdoor flight report: It likes to fly in big swoopy motions. It's a little squirrelly and can stall if not launched at a good angle and with the right amount of rubber band pull, and if it stalls it goes into a spin. But when it stays moving at a medium-fast pace throughout the flight, it's pretty smooth.

A "precocious" little kid came by and asked to fly my planes, and he launched the AS2 a bunch of times, with some decent success!
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Aerion AS2 outdoor flight report: It likes to fly in big swoopy motions. It's a little squirrelly and can stall if not launched at a good angle and with the right amount of rubber band pull, and if it stalls it goes into a spin. But when it stays moving at a medium-fast pace throughout the flight, it's pretty smooth.

A "precocious" little kid came by and asked to fly my planes, and he launched the AS2 a bunch of times, with some decent success!
That is the best flight report I could read. Thank you!

Mike