PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB

What this guy is doing is simply breathtaking.......
Fortunately I have really thick skin (otherwise I would just drop the modeling as there is no way for me to achieve anything close to his results) and I will plug along with my meager attempt on P.11c

The little support are to high and they will not allow cowl to slide over them. I performed surgery to cut them off - luckily I DID NOT use CA glue there so it was almost pain free.
Problem is that location of those suppoerts is not marked in any way, but by experimenting I came up with a distance 2-3mm from the top of the cylinder. Now the cowl slides on and looks centered around the engine block, but I still had to squish a bit one of the supports...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Frankly speaking, Mike. What you do is breathtaking enough for me.

Nice of you to share with all of us the support experiment and the data you collected so that others can make use of your experience.

Don
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It's a great build you have going, Mike, but I'm confused...I don't see any Hinomarus on the wings or fuselage. Are you sure this is a Japanese plane? It has a sort of gull wing but I'm pretty sure it's not a Corsair.

Pay no attention to the clown in the audience - keep on building!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM

What do you mean "no Hinomarus"???? It's red and white on the wings and who said I have to be able to distinguish between checkerboard and the circle? :D
And as far as the Corsair reference goes - check post #5 :D
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
And as far as the Corsair reference goes - check post #5 :D
You got me on that one...
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM

While the entire plane build was (for the most part) problem free, the cowling almost proved to be my undoing...
As you can see the interior part is clearly to short. Exterior part is ok since the front ring fits it without issue. I don't have any spare color so will probably scan my second copy of the kit and try to come up with close enough color to patch it.
The very front ring is intended to be folded in half and curved - since designer intended it like that, he thinks it's possible, but this is beyond my ability to do and have decent shape in the end :(
I resorted to separating the rings and reconnecting them AFTER they were shaped and glued.
Now the last ring (part 79) is supposed to go on the inside of the cowl....
I already had rest of the cowling done so I tried to dryfit this last piece in place but it just would not work. Then I tried to glue it inch by inch to the rim, but this proved to cumbersome...
As a last resort I separated the front rings from the main part (that explains the ring of glue..) and started glueing part 79 again.
Front is pretty good considering the beating it had received during two attempted installations, but the white ring sticking out is the reason why the darn thing didn't want to fit inside
Tomorrow, when I have a chance to cool down, I will trim it and try to re-assemble the cowling....

Added:
Kit includes part 76a - do not glue it inside the cowl, but use it to help cowl keep it's shape while working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c-p-11c-46.jpg   MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c-p-11c-47.jpg   MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c-p-11c-48.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wow! Good recovery!

Don
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Engine is done! :D
Drawing shows the exhaust pipes to be mounted around the middle of the cylinder head, but if you do that, they will end up higher than the cowling supports. Of course this is a no-no if you want the cowl to fit...
I ended up mounting the pipes at the bottom of the head - test fitting the cowl was succesful :D
I'm trying to come up with a way to apply glue onto the supports in a way that will not result in it smearing the entire cowl's inside...
Or maybe I just slide it in place and leave it like that - fit is pretty tight...

Added:
I'm having trouble with attachments, will try to add photos later....
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Ok, now it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c-p-11c-49.jpg   MM Aviation Contest PZL P.11c-p-11c-50.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Michael, that's a beautiful, intricate job on that engine! How did you make those exhaust pipes?

Ron