PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nicely recovered! - I think half the fun of card-modeling is sorting out the problems.

Is it me of is the a lot of 'Grumman' in this plane

Tim
Old 09-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
Is it me of is the a lot of 'Grumman' in this plane

Tim
I had the same thought as the front end came together. It looked awfully familiar. I wonder if there was any inspiration trading continents along the way?
Chris
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Or Loening or.... There are only so many places you can put the engine on a single engine flying boat
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Okay, time for today's plea for help. I've been assembling info for the interior work and I'm having trouble getting plans/images for the machine gun. It's a ShKAS mg, which were apparently the standard mg on Russian planes since 1935, but that's about all I've been able to track down so far. Anyone know of a site that might have plans/images of this one?
Chris

NEVER MIND! Turns out I was only a couple of clicks away from all the reference I could want! Doh!

Last edited by cjwalas; 09-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
LOL - and cut out the parts with his flint knife...
A flint would be sharper compared to a metal blade so you are actually on the right track. I wonder how hard it would be to get obsidian flints.
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Okay, time for today's plea for help. I've been assembling info for the interior work and I'm having trouble getting plans/images for the machine gun. It's a ShKAS mg, which were apparently the standard mg on Russian planes since 1935, but that's about all I've been able to track down so far. Anyone know of a site that might have plans/images of this one?
Chris

NEVER MIND! Turns out I was only a couple of clicks away from all the reference I could want! Doh!
Armament of USSR - ShKAS, 7.62-mm

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/yu...ft_machinegun/ <= I think this is a 12.7mm version
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

I have a 10 lb piece of obsidian I found on a shore in North Carolina.

Beriev has made some of the most interesting aircraft. It is great to see this plane being built.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Just a no-photo update: Haven't had much time to devote to the cause here, but I've started building the interiors. My plan is to build them a a series of panels and then essentially build the interiors wall by wall. Floors and bulkheads are cut, most of the interior sides as well. I found that the Orel MBR-2 kit (also a Beriev design) has the ShKas MG, so I'm going to simply copy that, rather than try to scratchbuild it. Much of the interior will be guesswork, but I should be able to get something believable.
Chris
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Well, folks, this kit does have its little surprises
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2691.jpg
Got the tail feathers on, no real problem. But the main wing/motor support is a mess.

MM Aviation Be-4-img_2693.jpg
The skin doesn't fit either the tower frame or the match to the fuselage. I'll be needing to do a fairing of some sort for it.

MM Aviation Be-4-img_2694.jpg
But slowly she is coming together. Some interior pieces are done, but not far enough along for pics yet.
Chris
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM

A rather blatant band-aid patch over the wing mount covered the gap and added a little strength;
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2695.jpg

Meanwhile, interior walls and floors built up and painted;
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2697.jpg

Motor and central wing assembly. This was a bit of a pain as the parts don't fit very well here at all. Every piece seems just a little off and one former is way too big and the other is too small. So it's not the prettiest assembly.
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2698.jpg

As heavy handed and klunky as it is, I think the weathering helps this kit a lot. I'm not attaching the main wing until I get the interiors finished.

MM Aviation Be-4-img_2700.jpg

Wing pods were odd as one went together just fine, while the other didn't fit nearly as well.
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2701.jpg

Pilot's interior space in place and waiting for details;
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2702.jpg

Observer/gunner's space as well;
MM Aviation Be-4-img_2703.jpg

It's getting down to the detail stuff now, so it will be a little slower going, but I'm looking forward to it as I think any detail will add a lot to this one.
Chris
Google Adsense