PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
MM Aviation Me-262

9/91 ME-262 Schwalbe
This one's just for fun. I miss the simplicity of the MM kits, and as I'm having a bit of a challenge sorting out the MM 110 (less diagrams than usual), I thought I'd relax with the 262.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4034.jpg
My copy is in pretty good condition and I considered building the original kit, but I'm a little tired of the green color that is so common on MM planes and armor, so I grayed it down. I also changed some of the yellow to white just to make it a little different.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4035.jpg
There's no interior to this one and I'm not planning on doing one.
I used a large marble for the nose weight;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4036.jpg
I do plan on a clear canopy, so I colored in the white cockpit area. The fuselage is designed as a bulkhead to bulkhead construction, but I wanted to try and convert it to bulkhead and stringers, which worked fine, except for the very tail section. It's not the best fit, but it can be made to work.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4037.jpg
So here's as far as I've gotten.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4038.jpg
I'm enjoying not making any major changes on this one. It's fun!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

This is looking good thus far. I've never tried a MM kit. They look good, though. Now, I take it, due to the printing on the top of the fusalage, that there is no cockpit detail?

Jeff
Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Right. Many, if not most, of the MM kits of the period had no interiors and only simple landing gear and details.
The earlier MM kits have a feel that is "unique". The fit tends to be erratic, the color is often far from prototypical, and the print and paper quality are almost always "unrefined". But once you get used to them, they do have a simple charm of their own and I have to say I think I enjoy these early MM kits more than most others for that. The quality varies wildly, from really well-designed and relatively detailed for the period to just horrible designs that are essentially un-buildable (fortunately few of those!).
The quality has risen sharply since the early 90's and the kits MM produces today are comparable to the other current publishers.
Chris
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
She's looking very nice... i think some of the older techniques do have that certain something like you say, so.. things are far from perfect, but if you enjoy the build, and when she turns out a LOOKER like yours - who cares.. Great model, well built thus far
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
nice progress, keep up the good work, hope that me shot down several B-17's
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Got the main wings on. These were a little tricky to get right. There are frames in the wings themselves, but no connecting spar or attachment point on the fuselage at all. I had to do a little trimming to get the dihedral even close;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4040.jpg
This affected the wing fairings and one went on perfectly and the other, well, best not show that side!:o
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4041.jpg
Built the paper canopy and made a sculpey plug. Cleaned it up a little and got a perfect pull the first time;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4042.jpg

Next up are the landing gear!

Chris
Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice build Chris. The spotty MM print quality actually looks very good on this model. Gives it that rode hard and put away wet look.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Thanks, Chris. I'll have to keep an eye out for these.

This is coming along well. I guess at some point I need to make my canopies like that.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Jeff,
These canopies are not hard to make. I had problems until I sorted out a couple of issues;
The plug mold needs to be elevated so that you can pull the plastic down and around the form;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4047.jpg

I had a devil of a time until I used a Q&D heat gun holder; bent aluminum wire strapped to a piece of ABS tube . Then it all came together!

I just turn on the heat gun, hold the plastic in place with heavy gloves and when the plastic is very soft, pull down and around the form. I pull the form away from the heat gun to cool for ten seconds or so and then I can turn the heat gun off.

MM Aviation Me-262-img_4048.jpg

Really easy and effective. You should definitely give it a try. I think a formed canopy makes all the difference on a model.
Chris
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM

The landing gear are on.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4043.jpg
The fit so far has been pretty good overall. The last major constructions are the engines, which look pretty straightforward.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4044.jpg
we'll see how straight I can get these!
Chris
Google Adsense