PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 03-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That looks great! Nice to see the original paper being used rather than substituting balsa.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Beautifully done...It's so clean
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This is really coming along nice.
...edumacashanal too.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice!!!! Amazing lesson build!!! I like the use for paper clips!!! Thank's for share!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Little Bits

Thanks everyone for the comments and support!

Only a few little bits here - the "controls". I thought about using buttons for the wheels but decided to stick with the supplied art. I mounted the print to heavier board, then trimmed and lifted the top couple of layers. Then they were coated with CA glue to harden them.

The simple seat pleased me. I used a rotary hole punch to make the holes - incredibly useful tool. Mine's a Martha Stewart model from A.C. Moore Crafts.

A "steering wheel" is what was supplied with the kit. Drawings and photos of the actual craft sometimes show the wheel, sometimes a stick. One thing I read said the wing warping was accomplished by a belt around the waist!
Also, the little side wheel appears and disappears from photos and drawings.
There were a number of variations on the Demoiselle so the model is somewhat of an amalgam.

I spend more time thinking about it than doing it. Trying to think as far ahead as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-1-img_7939.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-2-img_7940.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-3-img_7941.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looks better with each photo. The small details came out great. I wouldn't want to sit on that seat for long though - no lumbar support
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Joe, I love seeing your work on this one. And I really like that you're using as much of the original art as possible. It's a wonderful illustration of just how good the kit can look.
Chris
Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Rudder/Stabilizer

Thank you.

Don Yeah the seat is very basic. From what I've read, Santos was only about 90 lbs. Bet it hurt his boney a**.

Chris I like to use the paper and art when I can. I'm not a purist but for me I prefer the end result.

In this plane, the rudder and stabilizer are a one piece unit. It was mounted on a gimbal contraption and it all moved at once.

As per the directions, after folding and glueing I cut the stabilizer in half and attached each side separately to the rudder. This actually worked out fine - better than I had thought it would. when the glue had set, I drilled tine holes where the rigging will need to attach. I should have done this before forming the piece but it worked out well anyway.

Note the small white tab I left at the front of the rudder. The model provides no way or instruction as to how to attach the rudder/stabilizer part. By leaving this little tab I can slip it into the rear of the frame - it works quite nice. I'll color it and the edges before the final glueing.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-1-img_7942.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-2-img_7943.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-3-img_7944.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-4-img_7947.jpg  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What a great job... do you plan to paint the borders of the paper so that the white isn't so evident? A touch of brown color pencil or marker would make it look better in my opinion... nothing else can be improved really, as you are truly making an excellent work here.
More soon please!

Best regards,
- Mauri -
Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Just keeps looking better and better!
Chris
Google Adsense