PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 03-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
I'll color it and the edges before the final glueing.
Ooops... sorry, you already mentioned you would. Silly me :p
Just plain perfect then :D

Best regards,
- Mauri -
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Thank you, Mauri and Chris..

I hard glued in the tail assembly and then did some of the rear rigging. I really needed to do this part before getting into the front wings as they get in the way.
The lines help pull the overall look together when the front wings are on. Otherwise, the front and back look like to different planes. I think this is because the tail surfaces are so Victorian looking while the front wings are very plain and straight edged.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-1-img_8014.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-2-img_8015.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Beautiful, really beautiful. Interesting observation on the flight surfaces. I always thought the tail rig on this one was very Da Vinci looking.
Chris
Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow... really hard to tell it's paper already. Looking awsome Chris!
Best regards,

- Mauri -
Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks!

Chris, yes, DaVinci hits the look on the head.
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 AM

Wings

Wings...let me make some pet peeve observations.
The first is what pass for instructions give no clue as to proper placement or even how the wings may be attached. Heck, the more simplified FG original version has more clear direction for the wings (doesn't apply to this version).
The second is is how the parts are laid out on the sheet. The wings are laid out as 4 separate pieces. They are not aligned, therefore there's no "fold" line. I find that to be poor design mechanics. Oh, wait! I see why this wasn't done. It's because even though the tops and bottoms should be mirror images (of the shape), they aren't! I just feel there's never an excuse for those kinds of things.
Now, paper is not plastic, but a hint or two would be nice.

Time for my meds.

Anyway, I made the wings as best I could. The bottom halves have the radiators printed in place, but a second set is supplied for glueing over these for some depth, which I did.
I was a little surprised the numbers are on both sides of the bottom,but nothing on top - I would have figured one on top/one on bottom.

I solved the problem of how to attach the wings by installing a spar through the framework. This isn't prototypical but it gets the job done well and is not unsightly. To snug it up as far forward as it could, I notched the center of it.

The angle of each wing where it attaches to the frame was adjusted so the wings were straight across when mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-1-img_7996.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-2-img_7997.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-3-img_8008.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-4-img_8005.jpg   FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-5-img_8016.jpg  

FGMM Santos-Dumont Demoiselle-6-img_8017.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Check the FG forum. Perhaps there are some tips there that may be useful for this kit.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Despite the problems, which would be enough to make me trash the project, your wings are looking fine and dandy. I think the spar is a very good idea for attaching and for general "solidity".
Chris
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Wow, looking great! I enjoy watching these old planes to be built and with such class and suttle style you do.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks everyone!

rmks2000 - duh, I didn't even think of that, thanks.

One more thing. I slid the wings onto the spar most of the way. Then just a drop of CA on each side and snug them up and they feel secure.
This is my first model the has more CA and Avery Stick glue than standard Elmer's glue.

I've tried the wheels as real spokes. Definitely beyond me even at this scale.
I'll either make them as I usually would or I might try the rubber O-ring with an insert.
Google Adsense