PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!

Well, with the squashing of many of my models at a recent event (family member packed my models on the bottom of all the heavy stuff!) I am salvaging what I can. My fiddler's Green Yugoslavian 109 was squashed, and with out any internal frams I could not get the thing to maintain any real shape, so it was a good candidate for a belly landing. For some unknown reason I chose a wheat field before harvest. Planting all the wheat is a royal pain. The plane is not glued in place yet, as I am going to make bent and clipped wheat under the plane and a trail of destruction! Here is the start anyhow. The "wheat" is made from paint brush bristles.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0017.jpg   fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0016.jpg   fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0015.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Wow, CT! This is a good example of the old "When Life hands you lemons, Make lemonade" adage, but with your great imagination it comes out something truly wonderful.

I like the way the "wheat looks, too. I hope you have a good supply of cheap paint brushes available.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks Thomas,
Actually, I might get by with this one large house painting brush. The bristles are long enough to get three lengths of Wheat out of it, and the brush is 3 inches wide, so a lot to work with.

I actually found a photo of a German ME-109 bellied into a wheat field. The crop was a lot shorter though, but it is what gave me the idea. The y'all on this site gave me a lot of good ideas for making the wheat and land scape, the paint brush was the cheapest as I had one on hand.

So far I like it, might make a good salvage job anyhow,
CT
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.15 MB
This made me smile, not because of what happened but because you didnt give up on it.

So many times models have hit the bin just because of a mishap, way to go CT. An inspired idea and a brillaint bit of recycling.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
hahaha this is great!!!

The wheat will look very realistic,
but the plane could use a little more roughing up. lol
Change that prop, and you could fly it outta there!
I'm amazed that tail wheel survived the landing!

And wheres the Farmer approaching cautiously with his pitchfork?!
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 PM

You know, I thought about that tail wheel, but of the pics of belly landings I found the wheel was still there.

As for the farmers...I guess the pilot would need to practice hide and evade tactics even on "friendly" soil! Can you imagine seeing your crop taken out weeks days before harvest! Pitchforks indeed:o.

I have a few more pics, but I am going to need another brush to get more wheat. When done, I will add in a few pieces of debris in the wheat, such as one of the main landing gear pulled free and some of the under panel parts. Again, as seen in one or more of the real pics. I should cut the ailerons slots and push wheat into them, as it seams this happened as well.

Enjoy,
CT
Attached Thumbnails
fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0023.jpg   fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0022.jpg   fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0021.jpg   fGMM Yugo ME-109E with pilot make a poor combine!-pict0020.jpg