PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
So I've got a bit of a dilemma that has been brewing for a bit, but has finally come to a head. It's about my Repainters Nook. I initially set it up so that people who wanted a certain livery and had some skills with repainting could repaint the model into that livery, so I could focus on churning out new models. Then, the hope was that they would submit the repaint to me and I could put it on my site.

Recently, I've discovered several repaints of my models for sale on other sites that I never got to put on my site, and thus I'm losing money on them (they buy 1 b&W file, then do 10 or 15 repaints and sell them at $5.00 each...adds up to a lot of money.) Last week I discovered a site preparing to give away a vectorized repaint of my ATR-42 model.

So my question is: Since I sell the B&W files, am I giving up my rights to any repaints?

Everybody begs me to release black and white files for models, but I may stop if I'm just losing money on them.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
May be you should put down a clause saying that all repaints must be submitted to you for
permission to release either on your website or any other sites. If the latter, you will need
the repainter/distributor to share the intake proceeds with you. If not, they should all be treated as
pirated items.

As an alternative, increase the price of the repaints to $10-$20 each to stop such pilferage.

Papermate
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Lastly, one surest way to beat them. Don't make new models yet but go back to your repainter's nook
and do as many repaints as possible. Do as Bruno does, make a dozen liveries for each model
and you'll be safe (or saved).

Papermate
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM

My thought was to just send out B&W files by request only, with a clause that repaints have to be sent in to me.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM

That's not proactive at all. Attack and not retreat.

Papermate
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 AM

More, you're doing the right thing with the Brewster. You've got five different versions now
and don't be lazy, take your time to churn out 5 more. Just test build one to ensure everything's
okay and release them all to the modeling community.

Papermate
Old 05-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Lastly, one surest way to beat them. Don't make new models yet but go back to your repainter's nook
and do as many repaints as possible. Do as Bruno does, make a dozen liveries for each model
and you'll be safe (or saved).

Papermate
That might be a good idea. You're really good with recolors, Aaron, and I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to test-build liveries for you, myself included.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
So I've got a bit of a dilemma that has been brewing for a bit, but has finally come to a head. It's about my Repainters Nook. I initially set it up so that people who wanted a certain livery and had some skills with repainting could repaint the model into that livery, so I could focus on churning out new models. Then, the hope was that they would submit the repaint to me and I could put it on my site.

Recently, I've discovered several repaints of my models for sale on other sites that I never got to put on my site, and thus I'm losing money on them (they buy 1 b&W file, then do 10 or 15 repaints and sell them at $5.00 each...adds up to a lot of money.) Last week I discovered a site preparing to give away a vectorized repaint of my ATR-42 model.

So my question is: Since I sell the B&W files, am I giving up my rights to any repaints?

Everybody begs me to release black and white files for models, but I may stop if I'm just losing money on them.
And do you pay these repainters for their hard work when you sell the repainted model on your site?

My Drawings
Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
The way I look at it is, you sell someone a black and white kit, they are free to do whatever they want, but NOT reselling it though!!!!!!! you own the rights to the original model. If someone wants to recolor a kit to give to a friend, that's one thing. Just don't sell it.
Just me, but I'd stop selling black and white kits so no more issues.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
More, you're doing the right thing with the Brewster. You've got five different versions now
and don't be lazy, take your time to churn out 5 more. Just test build one to ensure everything's
okay and release them all to the modeling community.

Papermate
You know how I am with camoflauge. I'd have to build every version with camo to make sure things haven't gone haywire.

And John, there's has always been the option of discussion repayment, even stated on the repainters page. Nobody has brought it up, though.
Google Adsense