PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 10-30-2023, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I don't remember why everybody was looking at Aaron while Texman orchestrated the preparation for the group photo (Image 1).

I am working on making an identification of everyone in the second photo.

Don
Maybe everybody felt I needed more supervision.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:58 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good show Folks!
Really a pleasure to see the photos and the projects displayed.
Looking forward to Don's identification of everyone.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
IPMC 2023 Group Photo

IPMC 2023

Back two rows left to right: Greg Mumma, Matt Jefson, Pete Heesche, Richard McClintock (white shirt), Tyler Hafley, Don Boose, Peter Ansoff, Dan Smith, Jack Colin (hat), Bill Kastenmeier, Steve Brown, Jim Baker, Matt Bergstrom, Dee Teakell, Joe Teakell.

Front: Ray Smith (garish gold aloha shirt covered with P-40s, B-25s, palm trees, and images of Diamond Head), Aaron Murphy, Lil Boose, Linda Kemp, Anne McCombs, Jeff Cwiok [Swik], Bob Delpizzo (Team Fiddlers Green tam o'shanter).
To the right: Steve Brown's table with a name tag from every single IPMC since the very first one.

Photographer: Don Boose III
Attached Thumbnails
International Paper Modelers Convention 2023-ipmc23_02_.jpg  

Last edited by Texman; 11-01-2023 at 08:23 AM. Reason: To restore original text
Old 10-30-2023, 06:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
A simple "Front row from left to right" would have sufficed

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-30-2023, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Thanks, so very much, for the report! Some day I will make it to the conference. The problem is, the meeting is always near the Halloween weekend and the neighborhood counts on enjoying our "over-the-top" Halloween Garden. Someday, I will pass the baton to my son and show up. Keep the fires burning!

John
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2023, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Aw Don, you changed it? It was so good though! I’m sure Ray was jesting
Old 10-31-2023, 05:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Don, there was no need to change it! I was seriously just kidding! I thought it was fun!
If you don't mind, I would like to change it back to the original text.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited by Texman; 10-31-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:28 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

So, true tale from the travel log.

Those who know "the box", that is my battle box. Some have called it the "Tardis box" because it is
bigger on the inside ( I can stuff a lot of models in there!). This year, I redesigned it to accommodate
more models, in a more secure, organized method.

As I was going through TSA at Dulles upon leaving, I placed the box in the required plastic bin
(everything gets binned now days). The TSA agent looks at the box, picks it up, and starts shaking it!
Vigorously! I immediately make a move his direction, and waving my hands to STOP! It's FRAGILE!
Very SMALL models inside! We can open it, just don't shake it!

This individual, looks at me while holding it at a 45 deg angle, and tries to mumble something in a very
English is a second (or third) language accent. It seems, the new scanners also incorporate, what is
my guess, a sniffer, based on his explanation that he needed to see if it was heavy enough to not be
blown around in the scanner. Then, he wanted to weight it down with a ream of paper. We did this ok,
and he secured my other items under it so they wouldn't get blown around either.

As I get through TSA, and get to my gate, I decide to see what damage has been done.
Fearing the worst, I open it up. What to my over engineered surprise, but the validation
and operational parameters of the box have been exceeded!

The only damage was a bent propellor on one aircraft, due to one of the three models that popped
out of their "area". As I did not expect to have the box "bounce checked", I did not secure the vehicle
portion of the display. They are simply placed in boxed in areas. On the second level, only one
submarine had become partially dislodged, but still secure for travel.

So, I rest relatively secure knowing my kits are protected during their travels. It takes some of the
worry out of the equation, knowing my work is protected up to moderate turbulence.

Thanks for listening.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited by Texman; 10-31-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
You should show a picture of your box, Ray!
Old 11-01-2023, 11:16 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

"The Box"

It was asked, so here it is. The battle box. I have been using this box for transporting models for
about 10 years now, in various configurations. I put the markings of the contests I attend on there for decoration.

International Paper Modelers Convention 2023-img_e0177-1.jpg

Knowing what my size limitation would be, I researched the area/size of the under seat stowage for the airlines.
Finding these measurements, I went to the UPS store, and found a box that was the same in length and width
measurements. They kindly cut the box down to the required height to allow the flaps to fit. I then added a handle for carrying.

Using some display board, I cut out a suitable size piece (13.75"x13.75") for the bottom. Using more of the display board,
I then cut pieces for the corners. The model "holders" are pieces of the same display board, with cutouts to secure the models.

International Paper Modelers Convention 2023-img_0179-1.jpg

The aforementioned corner posts were for a new second level. As one of the bottom models was a taller ship,
a cutout was made for it. Then two finger holes were made to allow for easy removal of this level. Again,
the securing points were the same as the lower section. Note how the vehicles are just place around the edge.
The lesson learned was that these can bounce out of those areas easily. I have a modification planned to help keep those secure as well.

International Paper Modelers Convention 2023-img_0178-1.jpg

So, there is the story of "The Box".

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense