PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
This one's on my "officially dead" list. Lost everything in the great PC crash of ought 10.

I might get back to it eventually.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
murphyaa, as a fellow Rhino user, I am really interested in any trips or tricks you may have come upon. If you willing to share them I would be humbly grateful, If not, I understand that too.

When your computer crashed, do you know that the hard drive is lost? I build computers. You could easily slave the hard drive into your new computer, there are many ways to do this, many adapters, USB, IDE to SATA dongle, etc. It may all still be there. I am building a new computer this week and will be slaving 2 500G and 1 170G hard drive to the new system which has a 1 Terabyte hard drive.

I would be most willing to offer any assistance, or advice, based on experience (I am a state certified electronic technician and I fix to component level, though many things are not worth fixing like that anymore.), if you need anyhelp, that is.

I thought my present computer was did as it would not get by the "SYSTEM CPU TESt HAS FAILED", message from the BIOS.

It turned out to be cracked headers pin solders on the solder side. These caused a voltage rail to fail. I re-soldered the board, stuck in a 750Watt PSU I found at the transfer station and she came right back to life. The cable strain on some computers causes the solders to give out after some years, especially if the case gets warm at all. No lead makes for brittle solders, but better drinking water.

If the Hard drive does not spin up, there are a couple of tricks I could show you that could make it work long enough to get the data off.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
As near as I can tell, both hard drives I had are still good. The main one had developed a wierd noise and I'm sure was about to fail. Right now I'm just trying to find a cable to be able to connect them to my laptop. Unfortunately it's a specialty cable, and none of the computer stores here have one.