PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Smile Tokorozawa Aviation museum

Not far from Tokyo center in the town of Tokorozawa there is a nice aviation museum.

TOKOROZAWA AVIATION MUSEUM -

The museum is on the grounds of their first airfield and is considered their birthplace of aviation in Japan. The facility is really bright and open and modern. It houses about 20 or so aircraft and multiple models and artifacts. All are preserved in great condition and are even cleaned and polished. It is very close to the train station named Kuko-Koen ( aviation or flight park ). You are greeted by a YS-11 aircraft parked outside the train station and in front of the park. A short walk to the park and you are there.

There is a bright C-46 Commando aircraft outside and lots of kids lined up to go to the museum on their field trips ( cute to see ). The building is also good looking and striking.

Inside you are greeted by very clean aircraft and you can even enter some of them ( like the H-19, H-21 helicopters and the Cessna 310 ). They have engines and lots of small displays of models, parts and also workshops for the kids.

There is also a great cafeteria that serves real food ( not just hot dogs and fries ). Buffet was 800 Yen ( about 9 USD ).

Also, many simulators.

Great place to spend a few hours.

Pictures of full scale planes here:

Tokorozawa Aviation museum-ys-11-city.jpgTokorozawa Aviation museum-tokorozawa-museum.jpgTokorozawa Aviation museum-c-46.jpgTokorozawa Aviation museum-fuji-pic-2.jpgTokorozawa Aviation museum-view.jpgTokorozawa Aviation museum-view-2.jpg

More pics to come

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
I am green with envy!!!!!
Whenever I get sent to Japan on business, I am always accompanied by associates who've never been to Japan. Hence, I'm always tasked with the job of taking the newbies to the usual tourists spots in Tokyo, like Asakusa, Edo Castle (though I must say I never get tired of going to Edo Castle), Akihabara, etc.
I'm biding my time when I get sent to Japan alone so I can finally spend the limited time I have to visit museums, and off the beaten tracks temples.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures!

Ijou desu.
Eric
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Cool some models

Pictures of models in the museum.

I did not notice any made of paper though.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Tokorozawa Aviation museum-gift-shop.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-2.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-3.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-4.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-5.jpg  

Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-6.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-7.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-8.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-9.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-albatros.jpg  

Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-hawkeye-2.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-hawkeye.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-macchi.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-me-209.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-parasol.jpg  

Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Cool More models

Next set

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model-x-1.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-model.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-porco-rosso.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-wright-flyer.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-gift-shop.jpg  

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 AM

And some figures

Some scale some 1:1

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Tokorozawa Aviation museum-ana-cuties.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-line-up.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Smile More aircraft

Pictures of planes and the facility

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Tokorozawa Aviation museum-fuji.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-h-21.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-j-3.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-mentor.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-tokorozawa-museum.jpg  

Tokorozawa Aviation museum-early-flyer.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-h-19-engine.jpg   Tokorozawa Aviation museum-t-6.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are excellent, clear images, Isaac. Many thanks for posting them and for telling us about the museum at Tokorozawa. I hope you will continue your tour of aviation museums in Japan.

Don
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Yasukuni shrine museum is next. Maybe tomorrow. Some aircraft. I will post soon.

Isaac
Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have been to Yasakuni on a number of occasions (but not since 1990). At that time they had a spectacular diorama of a special attack force attack against U.S. shipping off Okinawa, a number of other displays of full-sized military equipment (including a Type 97 Medium Tank), and models.

Don
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Don

Great. I am looking forward to it.

Isaac
Google Adsense