PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post

I am really looking forward to officially meeting Don, Kevin & Rick and hope that some of you out there in the not to distant cyberspace can join us.

Greg
I'm hoping so too. I'll have to see if the convention in DC later this year works out for timing and finances. I wish I had the time to drive and bring some models along.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It would be great to meet you in person, Jim . . . especially if you happened to have Izuzu and Zuikaku along with you. But even without the models, I know you would have a great time with us. If you are going to come all that distance, you'll probably want to take advantage of other activities in the DC area. The convention site is right next to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy museum and there is much else to do.

For newcomers to the forum, the event Jim is talking about is the annual International Paper Modelers' Convention scheduled for 23-25 October 2009: 2009 International Paper Model Convention

Here is the site for last year's IPMC: 2008 International Paper Model Convention and here are Rick's videos: http://picasaweb.google.com/rickstef...odelConvention#

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-01-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ahhh - unfortunately I'll only be able to participate in Army Heritage Day would be winning the lottery big in the next week or so. Wish I could. Unfortunately being unemployed puts a big damper on the financial situation...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I truly wish I could join you, but alas the drive is a bit to far for a week end.

Jim Nunn
Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
As the Colonel has mention, we will have pictures, videos and first hand accounts.

If possible, and available, I was planning on either blogging and posting here, about the event.

Colonel, do you know in the area we will occupy, if there is a network jack or a wireless LAN connection?

If not, I will have to figure something else out

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Rick -- AHEC has a public WiFi connection that SHOULD be operating on the 16th; so you should be able to transmit live from our location in the foyer of Ridgway Hall.

Photo 1 is a view of Ridgway Hall before the cherry trees began to blossom. The Army Heritage Trail begins to the left of the walkway to the building and the entrace is on the left. Photo 2 is where our table will be in the foyer. The entrance to the building is on the far left edge of the photo.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hal-090415.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-foyer.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Don,

Thanks for info., I'll have to pass this year, but will think about planning for next year. The old forts and stuff should be real interesting.

I'll check out the history page for the family history though.

Thanks for the link. Never knew about this place!!

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hey Folks(especially those you who model military models)

I was planning on displaying digital pictures on a digital photo frame, which I just acquired.

If you are willing to share a picture or two, you can send it to this email cardmodelrick at gmail dot com

I will also accept pictures of models which are not of a Military nature.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Great idea, Rick.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Reminder

A reminder that Rick Steffers (Ricksteff), Greg Perry (ModelPerry), Kevin Stephens (kcstephens), and I (boosed) will be displaying models and demonstrating paper model building at the annual Army Heritage Day at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, this Saturday (May 16, 2009) from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Paper Tiger Armaments, LBirds, Design Group Alpha, and Fiddlers Green have given us permission to reproduce models of World War II Army aircraft and vehicles, which we will be handing out.

Here is information on how to get here: Directions

Here is a list of the other events that will be taking place: Visitor and Education Center Events

In addition to the events, there will be renenactors all along the Army History Trail, along with many artifacts (Sherman tank, Hellcat tank destroyer, artillery pieces, AH-1 Cobra helicopter gun ship, UH-1 Huey Slick helicopter, and so on) and recreations (French and Indian War stockade, Revolutionary War artillery redoubt, Civil War winter cabins, World War I trenches, World War II cantonement area, Vietnam War firebase). The Paper Modeler's display will be just inside the main building, Ridgway Hall, where there will also be a book sale.

Here are photos of last year's event: Army Heritage Day

You can also familiarize yourself with the layout of the Military History Institute Reading Room, where you may wish to visit in the future to look up information on a relative who served in the Continental Army, the U.S. Army, or the Confederate States Army; or do research on a model you are building (MHI has a nearly complete collection of field manuals and technical manuals); or look through the archive materials on any subject bearing on the U.S. Army.

If you live within driving distance of Carlisle, you may wish to attend some of the Perspectives in Military History lectures or Kleber Memorial Readings. Note that on June 17, Dr. Reina Pennington, Professor of History at Norwich University, will be speaking on "Wings, Women and War: Soviet Airwomen in World War II Combat." This is a subject that is likely to be of interest to those who have built or intend to build a model of the Polikarpov PO-2. I will be giving a Kleber reading on U.S. Army amphibious operations in the Korean War next year.

The photos below show AHEC, Ridgway Hall, and some of the commemorative bricks along the walkway. Among the units that have donated materials to the Archives and who have a special relationship with AHEC are Darby Rangers and the 44th Bomb Group, which participated in the 1 September 1943 low-level Ploesti Raid. I'm proud to be one of four generations of Booses (originally, "Buss") represented on the walkway.

Hope to see some of you there.

Don Boose
Attached Thumbnails
16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-090505a.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-090505b.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-005.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-090505f-ranger-bricks.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-090505e-44-bg-bricks.jpg  

16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ridgway-hall-090505c-boose-bricks.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-14-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Google Adsense