PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers Classic

The Northern Virginia chapter of IPMS is holding its annual Model Classic show on Saturday 25 April at Fairfax High School in Fairfax VA. Details are on the chapter web site at www.novaipms.org. A few of the IPMC regulars will be staffing a display of paper models, and Pete Heesch will be on hand with a selection for sale.

We're trying to put together a display that has a pretty good "wow" factor, and also shows the diversity of paper model subjects. The second idea is key, because the IPMS shows are typically heavy on military stuff, while we have all kinds of other things (architecture, dirigibles, birds and animals, SciFi, etc.) We've identified a pretty good selection, but could use a large-scale airplane and a large-scale armored vehicle. If any one in the area has either of those and would be willing to let us borrow it for the show, send me a PM and we can work out the logistics. Also, ideas for other things to include are welcome, but remember that we're limited to two 8-foot tables, including space for sales and demos.

To my surprise, the organizers of the show have been quite receptive to paper models. Their president went out of his way to assure me that all types of models are welcome in their displays and competitions, and even suggested that they might consider a category for paper models in future shows.

Walk-in admission to the show is $8 for individuals and $10 for families. Rules and such for model displays and competitions are on the web site. Come by and check it out if you're in the NOVA area on April 25th!
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Right you are Peter. Most IPMS clubs welcome modelers of all media. And, in a growing movement are increasingly more receptive to a separate paper model category.

If you check out what happened last weekend at an IPMS contest I attended, true modelers are realizing a well built model is a well built model, no matter the material.

I have been to many IPMS contests where a wooden sailing ship has taken Peoples choice or Best of Show ( I know because he is in my club!)

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
This event in Fairfax is a very nice one and I recommend checking it out. In addition to the contest and vendors, there are always other groups promoting the scale modeling hobby or related interests. The times I attended, there was a decent contingency of Lego builders displaying their wares to generate interest in this hobby (think Lego Movie act 3 - beware the Kragle).

The inclusion of paper models does not surprise me since there have been some entries and winners among the paper modeling crowd at this event. Bomarc won a scratchbuilding category with his tow tractor a few years ago. Also, I remember Karl from the IPMC displaying some of his paper ships at the event.

SO, if you are nearby and can attend, please check it out, you won't be disappointed!

greg
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 AM

Don't forget to come see us at the show tomorrow if you're within striking distance of Fairfax High School in Northern Virginia. The event has sold out all of its tables this year, and promises to be a "reallybigshew" as Ed Sullivan used to say. I'll be there along with Dr. Laser, Anne McCombs, Don Boose, Thomas Clay, Carl Erickson and Peter Heesch from H&B to keep the paper end up. Report and photos to follow.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Peter

On the local level there is no problem. I had multiple events entered and even the IPMS region 4 contest in Dayton Ohio had a paper category which I entered.

I would like to see the same at the National contest.

Good luck.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
This sounds like a great event.
I wish you all the best of luck.
I look forward to seeing your photo coverage.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
I managed to snap a few pictures of the Paper Modeling display. We stuffed two tables with a wide variety of models - and everyone liked the cat. We had many free give-aways in well designed boxes by Don Boose.
IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers Classic-fairfax-1.jpg IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers Classic-fairfax-2.jpg IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers Classic-fairfax-3.jpg

A very common quote by various on lookers (usually judges for the plastic modeling events) was "I'd never guess. These look like they are plastic models". And a common come back was, "I saw some plastic models over there that looked good enough to be made out of paper!" We had a very positive reception, many folks pulling their friends over to look. Many never have seen a paper model before and were most amazed.

Many families attended the event and many really liked Anne's tigers and the lighthouse (and it was a give-away model). The Fiddler's Green Zero fighter was also a very popular give-away model. We passed out many a flyer for the Fall Paper Model Convention and paper model website info. I think the event was excellent for introducing paper models to loads of modelers both young and old.

One interesting plastic model that I show below, was a vintage HAWK kit of an Atlas Space Station cut-away model.
IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers Classic-atlas.jpg
Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very cool. Wish I could have come down for the show. Thanks for sharing the info,about the show.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Here's a short UTube video about the IPMS NOVA Model Classic, with a nice shout-out from the President of IPMS NOVA about paper models and a couple of shots of our table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWW...ature=youtu.be

Next years' Model Classic is scheduled for 30 April 2016. I think it's fair to say that this event was a great success for us, and I hope that we can repeat (and expand!) our participation next year. Here's the official flyer for the 2016 show:

http://www.novaipms.org/MC16/Composite_Flyer-r1.pdf
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for this follow-up, Peter. It was a great event (always a good experience to get together with you and the others paper modeling friends).

Don
Google Adsense