PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Caudillo View Post
Is there any way you can help me with this? It would be a dream come true!
Best Regards,
I have a great friend who works at the Museum as a volunteer. He is a professional modeler. Once he retires, from his day job, he is going to be working in the restoration facility.

In fact, I ran into him this past weekend in the annex hangers. So, I will contact him and see what I can do. I was unaware the museum has a GlCM. I can tell you that they have the mobile MX launcher, though.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Thanks CD!
I've seen the MX launcher- I used the tread pattern for the MAN tractor model. A lot of people walked by slightly amused at this weird guy measuring a tire tread!

Since I'm in and out so much, I apologize that trying to schedule something will be almost impossible. For example, I was just told late yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) that I need to be in Virginia all next week. Wow! That was an early notice!

I will be home during the week of August 3-7 however (then back to Virginia) for a scheduled vacation. Tuesday the 4th is out though- wife has an appointmnet for a biopsy.

Best Regards,
Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Well, Ron, what I will do is put you in touch with my friend with an intro and let you two work out the details. He won't be working there for some months, so perhaps next year would be a good time to make the introductions.

Actually, it might be even more facile for you to outline what you need and have him photograph it for you. The problem these days is base security. You see, he is an IPMS modeler who knows how to photograph for detail. He may even be willing to do measurements for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM

The Photos

Just returned from the Airshow, which was a real treat. They conducted one of the best Tora, Tora, Tora reenactments I have ever seen. There must have been at least 12 Japanese replicas in the air.

I also visited the USAFM and the Patton Museum of Armor at Fort Knox. Here are a few teaser photos. I have many detail photos for addicted modelers such as I.

I have other detail shots of the Gemini.

I was given access to the nk Mig 15 to shoot detail shots.

I couldn't get closer to Bockscar for detail shots, but I have numerous detail photos of the B-29 in general.

I have some detail shots of the B-52D. In addition the boys from Minot flew in with their H-model which I photographed in some detail.

Talking with my friend who works at the Museum, in addition to Shoo Shoo Baby, they have now acquired Memphis Belle and The Swoose, both of which are in restoration
Attached Thumbnails
Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-gemini.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-bockscar.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-mig-15.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-b-52.jpg   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-shoo-shoo-baby.gif  

Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Museum Treats

The Nat. Museum USAF has greatly expanded their acquisitions even since I last visited last year.

They have a beautiful Me 262, but the real surprise was the Avro Aerocar and the Bell XV3, the granddaddy of the MV-22.

Speaking of the latter, I talked with its pilots at the airshow, and they dearly love the aircraft. I have a bunch of detail shots of that, too.

The highlight of the show for my sons and me was the 10 minute ride on a vintage UH-1D which cost only $50. My boys were ecstatic! The middle son, Avery, has talked only about flying helos for the USA since I can remember. This experience only solidified his desire. The aircraft are operated by the Army Aviation Historical Society located just south of Atlanta.

The final shot shows us getting ready to board.
Attached Thumbnails
Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-me-262.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-avro-aerocar.jpg   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-bell-x3v.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-mv-22-engine.gif   Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-sky-soldiers.jpg  

Dayton Airshow USAF & Patton Museums-preboard.gif  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
The Uh-1 is a fun ride! Just a little to much side to side. Unlike the Chinook, which swings fore and aft.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
****hook only swung you fore and aft Ray? My eyeballs still haven't settled down and it was years ago. Up-down, fore-aft, right-left. I swear it vibrated into the fourth dimension.

Sounds like a great trip CD. Made my first visit many years ago - fewer buildings, more stuff outside, and several hangars full of stuff not yet restored. A wonderful and bewildering experience.

Yogi

Yogi
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 PM

Perhaps the ride is different when it's for real. For this experience, the ride was really smooth and not jarring at all.

But, I have a flight in a C-123 Provider against which I can compare any flight experience. That was the noisiest, vibratinist, gawdawfullest thing I have ever flown! I can still feel the rattle inside of me and it has been 37 years! I'll never forget that the navigator was perched precariously on a seat which pivoted from the cockpit 5' above the cargo floor. That plane had nasty etched in every panel.

For smoothness, nothing beats a Connie. I have flown many many piston-powered cargo aircraft including the DC-3/6/7, C-124, and the Convair T-29/240 in which I flew 13 missions as a student navigator. But the Connie was the Cadillac. I never slept better; it was silky smooth!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice photos!

Regarding the Memphis Belle; I have a nice screensaver shot of the restoration in progress. The wings are removed and sitting on supports.

I read an article that told the story of how the museum acquired this bird. The city of Memphis had the aircraft outside on display. Unfortunately, people were picking parts off the plane like a fruit tree. I am so glad the AFM was able to rescue the Belle before she ended up as recycled aluminum pop cans. By the looks of the picture, the aircraft is still in pretty good shape.

I'll see if I can did up the picture.

Ken
Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Curious story about the Belle. I saw her numerous times when I was stationed at Blytheville AFB, AR, just up the Mississippi from Memphis. I remember her on a pedestal, then at the airport in a state of disrepair, and finally on Mud Island where she had been restored to her former glory, then neglected once more.

What always amazed me about the B-17 was the fact that two bolts held each wing on the fuselage. I wish I had taken a picture of that.