PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
2009 Geneseo Air Show

This one's not quite like the others posted here, but we like it. The 2009 Geneseo Air Show, "The Greatest Show On Turf", of the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group. See their website here; 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum in Geneseo, NY

We had planned on going Saturday, but the severe T-storms had other ideas. Yesterday was much better, almost perfect weather, 74F/23C, and just a few clouds late in the day. We don't like the Sunday shows as well because so many planes have to leave early, i.e. don't land after their performances. I missed getting good ground shots of the CAF's Helldiver that way.

This show is "descended" from the former "Wings of Eagles" show, hosted by the now defunct National Warplane Museum. Too much to explain what happened, politics, egos, and an ill-advised relocation.

Anyway, nice show on a grass field. I don't have many good shots now, most are still in my 35mm camera.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Geneseo Air Show-avenger.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-belle-1.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-candy-bomber-2.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-canso.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-corsair-1.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM

A few more shots.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Geneseo Air Show-corsair-model.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-fury.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-hapnfuel.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-hellcat.jpg   2009 Geneseo Air Show-mini-bipe.jpg  

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
That looks like a nice airshow. How far is it from Old Rhinebeck? I wanted to go there this summer; perhaps I'll make it next summer.

I spotted that 3/4 scale Corsair in those photos. I bet those are fun to fly.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice shots
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
That looks like a nice airshow. How far is it from Old Rhinebeck? I wanted to go there this summer; perhaps I'll make it next summer.

I spotted that 3/4 scale Corsair in those photos. I bet those are fun to fly.
Old Rhinebeck is down on Long Island, isn't it? Geneseo is in Upstate NY, about 1/2 hr. south of Rochester, so somewhat over 400 miles.

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Old Rhinebeck is easy to get too. Take Route 22 North ( or the Taconic Parkway) to Route 199 and take a left (make sure your going west) till you get to Red Hook and follow the signs. Rhinebeck is midstate on the eastern side of New York State.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Old Rhinebeck is easy to get too. Take Route 22 North ( or the Taconic Parkway) to Route 199 and take a left (make sure your going west) till you get to Red Hook and follow the signs. Rhinebeck is midstate on the eastern side of New York State.
I should have googled first, I see. Not quite as far downstate as I thought. Google maps says 307 miles by I90, and 283 by Rte 17/I86, both around 5 hours travel time.

This year, there were aircraft at the show from the Great War Flying Museum, which is about 30 minutes NW of Toronto at the Brampton Airport. Maybe worth another side trip? The Canadian Warplane Heritage is on the way as well, in Hamilton, Ontario.

I never really thought about just how many aviation museums we have in this area. There's also the Curtiss museum near Hammondsport, as well as the former NWM, in Elmira.

Scott K.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Much as I love teaching, I do regret that the summer teaching schedule prevents me from participating in the annual Flying Aces Club NATs and Non-NATs at Geneseo.

In 1992, the fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Midway contest, consisting of a mass launch of stick and tissue free flight models of Wildcats, Zeros, Devastators, Avengers, Vindicators, F2As, Kates, and Vals, was preceded by a flyover by an actual Catalina and Wildcat.

Don