PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great images and a great story, Mike.

The airplane is a Boeing P-12E: Boeing P-12E > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ > Display

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for the identity. Was wondering if it was Boeing, the fuselage is real similar to the P26 if you check the points. Engine cowling is a big hint.

I took so many photos, Museum was in full swing, the only thing that you couldn't do is get a drink of water. All the fountains were closed. I called ahead to verify hours and rules, the very helpful lady on the phone said to bring water bottles and a mask if I wanted.

The gift shop had plenty of stuff to choose from. Prices were awesome. $19.99 for t-shirts. I scored a XB70 t-shirt, plus a SR71 Spotter t-shirt. Couple of small trinkets for my kids. Wish I'd planned on a $150 budget, they had plenty of books. Decided not to buy because of the weight in the airplane. Afterwards, realized could have mailed them back.

The t-shirts at the First Flight Airstrip were $22.95, I bought a neck gator that was supposed to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. It was used to stop my military survival vest and shoulder straps from rubbing my neck. Which was rather painful by this time. If they would have had a silk scarf, wouldn't have mattered the cost, if you know what I mean.

One thing about the museum visit: When you see a red triangle on top of the placard, look up it is hanging from the rafters, I might have missed a few photo opportunities...

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 06-29-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Up Arrows
Old 06-29-2021, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sounds like a great trip. Was there in the 80's. When the B70 was still outside - was great for photos but glad to see it under cover. Kept hoping to get back there, but don't think it will happen.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
hey Mike
next time, swing by and pick me up...I'll go with ya!
Old 06-29-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
hey Mike
next time, swing by and pick me up...I'll go with ya!
Hi Dave,

You bet!

Next time will be to the east Coast-Have invites to Maine and New Hampshire, you're on the way. Usually do these trips every two years....There are plenty of museums needing visited.

The one thing that didn't happen this trip: Wanted to overfly the Grand Canyon, it was too hot up north for this trip, decided against going further south!

Mike
Old 06-30-2021, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Forgot the name of this one
Attachment 449873
Mike it is a Boeing P-12E:
Boeing P-12 - Wikipedia
Old 07-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Sounds like a fantastic adventure, FlightAware says you made it home to Alaska. I did a similar trip, Anchorage to Pensacola, in a helicopter. But I had the government pay for the trip. Kept below 300' agl most of the time to keep out of trouble with restricted airspaces.

Dayton museum is definitely a must see bucket list item. I went there a few months ago. Just wish their hangers had windows, it's a bit dark for picture taking. Thanks for sharing the photos. And let us know what your next adventure N999SN is going to be.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post

Dayton museum is definitely a must see bucket list item. I went there a few months ago. Just wish their hangers had windows, it's a bit dark for picture taking. Thanks for sharing the photos. And let us know what your next adventure N999SN is going to be.
Since you last visited the museum, they have replaced the dim lighting in most of the locations with much brighter lighting, so the visibility of the planes are much improved. I as well as others really complained about the dark dingy atmosphere and they got the message. As far as windows, that is too late as they started the big hangars completely enclosed. I wish they did not listen to the Disney designers that only wanted a dark hanger with lights only pointing to the subject ( stupid way of displaying planes ).

Isaac
Old 07-01-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Since you last visited the museum, they have replaced the dim lighting in most of the locations with much brighter lighting, so the visibility of the planes are much improved. I as well as others really complained about the dark dingy atmosphere and they got the message. As far as windows, that is too late as they started the big hangars completely enclosed. I wish they did not listen to the Disney designers that only wanted a dark hanger with lights only pointing to the subject ( stupid way of displaying planes ).

Isaac
Yep, no complaints about the lighting. Camera flash was not needed for most of my photos. Sometimes tried to get the light out of the photo when taking photos of the ones hanging from the rafters.

All in all a great visit. Lots of walking and could be easy to get lost without the brochure. I donated to the cause, and received the brochure, well worth a donation.

They have a security guy at the front, and many kiosks with people willing to help with questions. That is where I received the brochure just before dropping $ into the donation box.

Was going to reply to your first post. I was parked at First Flight Aviation (KMGY), next to the Wright Flyer museum. The museum was closed the whole time I was there.

Mike
Old 07-02-2021, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
With a grand salute to mbauer and his plane, and not wanting to hijack his thread, here are some great links for the museum. Mike, thanks for inspiring us. That's a long way to go single engine/single pilot.

Virtual Tour: NMUSAF Virtual Tour
Link to download 360 degree cockpit views: Cockpit360
Old 07-02-2021, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Friends of the Air Force Museum also publishes a very good journal with historical articles as well as updates on Museum exhibits: Friends Journal - Air Force Museum Foundation

I have been a member since 1979, although I haven't had the chance to visit the Museum since 1981. It's a wonderful place.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Wright-Patterson AFB Museum June 18, 2021-cover_friends_journal_winter_2021.png  
Google Adsense