PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-31-2021, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Awards Part I

These were the awards selected by the Awards Committee: Linda Kemp (Chair), Anne McCombs, and me. Apologies for the blurred photos, but I experienced camera problems

1. Matt Jefson received the award for the Best Table with his incredible display of (mostly John Deere) agricultural equipment. In addition to being a U.S. Air Force pilot and superb model designer and builder, Matt is also a farmer and knows all this equipment intimately. His prize was a medieval European barn.

2. An overview of Matt’s table. Looking on is Tyler Hafley, who was also an award winner.

3. Jack Colin received the Most Unusual Model Award as well as the special award for the most extravagant use of push pins.

4. Jack’s award-winning “Up” model.

5. Tyler Hafley received the Theme Award. The theme was “Flyin’ Things,” and Tyler took it away with his pair of scratch-built aircraft he designed: a Fairey Swordfish with folding wings, and an FA-18 with working retractable undercarriage, tail hook, canopy, refueling probe, etc., etc. His prize was a model of a Handley-Page H.P. 42. We told him that we expect to see the completed H.P. 42 next year . . . with a retractable landing gear.

6. Tyler’s amazing airplanes.

7. Greg Perry endowed two awards this year. Tyler’s airplanes won the John Bowden Memorial Award.

8. Greg awarded the Silk Purse Award to Jack Colin for a model of the Atragon, of which I do not have a usable image.

9. The Atragon is in there someplace. Perhaps someone else got a better photo?

10. Peter Ansoff received a Special Award for his memorial display of models by paper modelling pioneer Alan Rose.

11. The Alan Rose Memorial display.

12. Greg Perry received a Special Award for the Tallest Model: his Bumar-Labedy Crane. “Tallest Model” is shorthand for Greg being one of the most productive, supportive, and active members of the IPMC and for the superb artisanship of his tall crane. His prize was a very tall model.

13. The tall Bumar-Labedy Crane.

14. Greg Mumma received a Special Award for Excellence in Miniature Modelling for his 1/600 model of a WWII U.S. Navy submarine chaser. His prize was a multitude of tiny 1/400 airplanes.

15. Greg’s tiny and highly detailed subchaser. I sure hope someone obtained a better image.

More soon,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-01_ipmc_awards_best_table_matt_jefson.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-02_tyler_hafley-matt_jefson-best_table.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-03_ipmc_award_most_unusual.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-04_up.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-05_ipmc_award_theme-flyin_things.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-06_tylers-airplanes.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-07_ipmc_award_john_bowden_memorial.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-08_ipmc_award_silk_purse.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-09_atragon.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-10_ipmc_award_special_award_alan_rose_display.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-11_the_alan_rose_memorial_display.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-12_ipmc_award_special_award_tallest_bumar-labedy_crane.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-13_bumar-labedy_crane.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-14_ipmc_award_special_award_miniature-modeling.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-2-15_miniature_sub_chaser.jpg  

Old 10-31-2021, 02:57 PM

Awards Part II

The first image is the group shot with a corrected caption: Left to right back rown: Pete Heesch, Greg Mumma, Jim Baker, Jorge (Stuart Hall School), David Perry, Stuart Hall School students Amelia, Julie, Khalia, and Eunice and teacher/Advisor Brad Arnold, Don AND LIL (!) Boose, Kevin Stephens, Tyler Hafley, Peter, Bill Kastenmeier. Front Row: Bob Del Pizzo, Greg Perry, Jack Colin, Linda Kemp, Anne McCombs, Steve Brown, Matt Jefson. Not in the photograph: Roman Detyna, David Scott, Bob Dulik.

2. Greg Perry’s Famo, trailer, and StuG III combination received one less vote for the People’s Choice Award than the winner.

3. Greg’s exceptional model of a German heavy equipment transporter and assault gun load.

4. The winner of the People’s Choice Award (one vote for every person attending the event – modelers, visitors, hotel staff, and anyone who happened to drop by) was Roman Detyna’s heavy cruiser HMS Exeter.

5, 6, and 7. HMS Exeter. Now a Digital Navy model. Roman contributed a CD disk of the model to the auction. It brought in $30.00.

8. Two of our Stuart Hall School fellow paper modelers, Eunice and Khaliah examine the People’s Choice winner. Best Table winner Matt on the right.

9, 10, and 11. Once again, we were joined by paper modelers from the Stuart Hall School: Brad and Ashley Bradford, Amelia, Eunice, Jorge, Julie, and Khalia. They brought their project of reproducing downtown Staunton, Virginia, in paper.

I will soon post whatever usable images I have of the participants and table displays.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-01_ipmc_2021_group_picture.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-02_ipmc_peoples_choice_runner_up-greg_perry-famo-trailer-stugiii.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-03_greg_perry-famo-trailer-stugiii.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-04_ipmc_peoples_choice_roman_detyna-hms-exeter.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-05_ipmc_roman_detyna-and_models.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-06_hms_exeter.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-07_hms_exeter.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-08_roman-eunice-khaliah-matt.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-09_stuart-hall_school.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-10_stuart-hall_school-brad-ashley-amelia.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-3-11_build_your-own-staunton.jpg  
Old 10-31-2021, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
Here is a photo of my table after I finished setting up:
Attached Thumbnails
International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-astroboy-2021.jpg  
Old 10-31-2021, 05:17 PM

Report Conclusion

1. Greg Perry has provided excellent images of Jack Colin’s Atragon model.

2. Here is the kick-off meeting Saturday morning. Counterclockwise from Peter Ansoff: Bill Kastenmeier, back of Lil Boose’s head, my chair (I am behind the camera), Pete Heesch, Unidentified, Kevin Stephens on far right, Linda Kemp, top of David Perry’s head, Greg Perry (in rear), Jack Colin, Jim Baker, Steve Brown, Roman Detyna.

3. Don and Lil Boose. The model in front of Lil is a Rigby Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IIA recolored by Don Weeks with an imaginary squadron code (my initials) and the name “Darling Lil.”

4. A sharper image of “Darling Lil.” The little Lil standing in front of the airplane is taken from a photo of Lil at the Navy Memorial some years ago.

5. Anne McCombs’s model of a Martin Kitten.

6. Anne’s Sherman tank.

7. Anne’s table, including some of her early paper model castles.

8. My display.

9-10. Kevin Stephens’s table.

11. Steve Brown’s table.

12. Jack Colin’s table with Jim Baker on the right. The DC-3, Atragon, and Connie rotated in a stately fashion throughout the event.

13-14. Jim Baker’s table, and Jim, spinning his prop.

15. It wouldn’t be an IPMC without Pete and his paper model treasures bazaar.

16. And it wouldn’t be an IPMC without Astroboy’s Marmon Wasp.

17. Bob DelPizzo and his table.

18. Linda Lemp's table.

19-20. I'll finish up with two more shots of my own table: my on-going Vietnam 50 project and my on-going U.S. Army Interwar Tanks project, including the 1/48 Wayne McCullough Mk. VIII tanks that I worked on during the event and used as a medium for teaching paper modeling techniques.

-30-

Don
Attached Thumbnails
International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-01_jack-colin-atragon.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-02_ipmc_morning_meeting.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-03_don_and_lil_boose.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-04_weeks_recolor_of_rigby_spitfire_iia.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-05_anne_mccombs-martin_kitten.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-06_anne_mccombs-gpm_sherman.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-07_anne_mccombs-display.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-08_don_boose-display.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-09_kevin_stephens-display.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-10_kevin_stephens-dragon_wagon.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-11_steve_browns_table.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-12_jack_colin_table.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-13_jim_baker.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-14_jim_baker.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-15_pete_heesch_jack_colin.jpg  

International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-16_bill_kastenmeiers_marmon_wasp.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-17_bob_delpizzo.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-18_linda_kemps_table.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-19_don_boose-vietnam50_project.jpg   International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021-4-20_don_boose-tanks.jpg  

Old 10-31-2021, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Next Year’s Theme will be: The Sea — In, On, Under, or Beside the Sea. Start now to prepare your ships, seaplanes, amphibious armored vehicles, lighthouses, or whatever else your creative imaginations choose to represent the Sea in all its variety.

A few remarks and minor corrections on the awards: we gave an early special award to the Stuart Hall students, for their ongoing project of architectural modeling of buildings in the city of Staunton, VA. We awarded them a large castle model so that they can collaborate on its construction. They needed to depart before the awards ceremony, so we made the presentation right after the group photo. And the aircraft model award to Greg Mumma was in 1:250 scale — our judges are not sadistic enough to inflict 1:400 scale airplanes on anyone. Greg Perry’s “Jupiter” locomotive was the People’s Choice runner-up.

I immensely enjoyed the reunion, especially after the unavoidable cancellation of the 2021 event. It was great seeing friends old and new, trading notes, and seeing all the excellent models, fine examples of our craft. Thanks to Don Boose and others for their reports. Hope to see more, who couldn’t come this time, next year!
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2021, 05:54 PM

Many thanks for the corrections, Anne.

Don
Old 10-31-2021, 06:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
— our judges are not sadistic enough to inflict 1:400 scale airplanes on anyone.
Yes you are, and yes you would!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Thanks to all who took the time to attend, and the many of you reporting on this event. I was working, and could not attend. Maybe next year. But nice to see what people are working on, and putting faces to names.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Correcting my corrections: of course I meant to mention the cancellation of the 2020 event, not 2021. My efforts to forget 2020 have apparently been successful.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Excellent coverage and photos. Thanks for posting.