PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 08-01-2021, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021

Greetings all,

As you know if you're on my contact list for the IPMC, we ran a poll last week to gauge interest in the 2021 convention. The results were Yes - 22, No - 12, Maybe - 8, meaning that we do indeed have a critical mass. So: I've just signed the contract with our usual venue, the Hampton Inn Dulles in Sterling VA. I'll get confirmation from them in the next day or two, along with the link to our special room reservation page. Once we have those, I'll post the reservation form here.

It looks like we'll be able to keep the meal and table charges the same as they were in 2019, but I need to do a little math to make sure. More to follow shortly!

Peter A.
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2021, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for making this happen, Peter. We hope to see you there and then.

Don
Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Thanks Peter! This is good news
Old 08-02-2021, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Thanks Peter!
Old 08-02-2021, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Great news guys. I really hope we’re able to keep the ball rolling with more participation! When we get closer I’d love to let our Scout and Homeschool networks know so that we can maybe see some visitors stop through?
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2021, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Good to hear you guys are getting back to business!

Not that anyone really cares (LOL) but I was one of those who said "no" to attending this year.
So as not to be rude, I'll explain my reasons...

First is the Border crossing issues....why this has to be so difficult (between USA and Canada) makes no sense,
but theres always an hour delay (or more)...boxes are searched, models are damaged, and it aint fun (for me).
And now, with Covid protocols and Border limits, who knows what awaits me at my local crossing!

The trip itself is not an issue, neither is the cost.
(In the past, I've even found ways to drum up extra funds for the trips...big thanks to those who have previously helped me out!)
But it is a long drive and there are major costs to be considered.

Covid protocols...I was recently asked about rejoining the local Toy and Collectibles shows and Expos.
I sell various toys, collectibles and Hot Wheels at these events, but Covid shut them down completely.
Now that restrictions are lifting, I was asked if I was willing to put up with cashless sales, fewer vendors and increased table spacing,
limited customer access and wearing a mask throughout the day.

lol the mask part sealed the deal for me...while I support any business (or anyone) asking you to wear a mask, I choose not to if I can avoid it.
And the other limitations didn't impress me.

Obviously the required Covid protocols will be in place at the IPMC, and rightly so, but I don't think I would enjoy that.
I can barely handle 10 minutes in a store before I start to sweat and overheat from a mask.
Maybe its just me...too hot breath?...lol...but I've tried all kinds of masks and I can't put up with it.

Any other covid related restrictions would just irritate me even more.
So, its with disappointment that I decided this year was not a go for me.

This may all be moot anyway, since I require a valid Passport and Landed Immigrant ID to re-enter Canada,
and while my Passport (British) is still good (I think) for a few more years, my LI card is expired.
It costs about $100 to get a new one, but there may not be enough time at this point.

Technically I am not required to have the LI card unless I am travelling on a commercial carrier (Train, Plane or Bus),
but Border cops don't always know the letter of the law, and I am always asked for that card when travelling in my car.
If I showed them an expired one, I'm sure there will be a problem at the border!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 958.8 KB
Peter,

Thank you for all the behind the scenes work you do to make this event happen. I moved back to Virginia and am excited to attend and display again this year. Sorry I was not able to answer the survey but look forward to the convention.

Matt “Tractor” Jefson
Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It will be great to see you and your farm machinery models again, Matt!

Don
Old 08-14-2021, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
It took a bit longer than I expected, but we're "go" for the 2021 IPMC. The dates are 29-30 October 2021, at our usual location: The Hampton Inn and Suites in Sterling, Virginia, USA. The format and fees are basically the same as last year. The schedule and registration form went out to my contact list today, and we'll have them posted here in the forum shortly. We'll have all the usual events: Friday evening soup-and-sandwich icebreaker dinner, short business meeting on Saturday morning, exhibit from 10 to 4 on Saturday, banquet on Saturday evening followed by awards and auction.

As you know, we always have a special award for the model that best embodies the annual "theme." This year we're repeating what would have been last year’s theme: “flying things”, including man made (heavier or lighter-than-air), biological, extra-terrestrial, mythical, theoretical, or imaginary.

Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I'm the temporary custodian of the papers and model prototypes of the late Alan Rose. I'm planning an exhibit of those items at the IPMC. It would be great to have some built examples of Alan's models along with the exhibit, so please let me know if you think you could bring one or more (yeah, I know -- they're big!).
Old 08-14-2021, 03:45 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
The files have been posted

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...ownloadid=3855
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense