PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 11-28-2021, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Not sure about the unfinished piece of armor as both Kevin and I had stuff we were working on. Mine was an M88 A1 recovery vehicle and I only got the formers assembled.

The tank on rails sounds like my little tatra. The yellow grader sounds like my MOAZ scraper, and then the tracked transport I had was the Famo pulling a trailer with a StuG III tank on it.

Greg
Old 11-29-2021, 12:57 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks!

Here's the pics.

Are these yours?
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2021, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
Here's the pics.

Are these yours?
Yup those are mine. The little green tracked transport is a Japanese ho-ki transport.

My other descriptions match the rest.

Greg
Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Please share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
Yup those are mine. The little green tracked transport is a Japanese ho-ki transport.

My other descriptions match the rest.

Greg

Sorry that I never got to ask you about these.

Is there anything, before I start the next chapter, you would like to share about the kits?

Any build tips to share that promoted the excellent results?

(Cutting, edging, gluing, or any other techniques that you would share?

After giving him a chance to fairly get his contributions in, I'll move us in this pictorial tour into the next room.

And now back two the masked man...
Old 12-04-2021, 01:30 AM

From Modelperry...

"The Famo halftrack rig with trailer and StuG III was started in 2018 and finished in 2020. The Moaz scraper, Jupiter Locomotive (which won 2nd this year for most popular), the Crane, and the Japanese transport vehicle were built after the Famo.

The Jupiter Locomotive is a replica of the current replica at the Golden Spike National Park.

The crane was built because my career started at Grove Worldwide which manufactures cranes much like this one. I felt the desire to travel down memory lane.

The M88A1 I was working on is the start of my next long term project, similar to the Famo one.

I've been building paper since 2007. Before that I did plastic automotive kits almost exclusively. Paper modeling has reduced my money commitment to the hobby but increased my range of subjects exponentially. That is a win win in my book.

Kevin and I are the same age and I think we are kind of on the same skill level, although I'm sometimes "accused" of being a faster builder. His quality is better in my opinion.

Greg"

Sorry that we missed each other in the convention, but there's some info about his display, and the builder, for those wanting to know more about the mystery pics!

In a few days I'll add entries for the next room, and the exhibitors within...

First, I'm taking a few days away to enjoy a birthday retreat!

No computers, phones, work...
Old 12-11-2021, 12:52 PM

Room 2 of 3...

The layout of the IPMC is a three room event; plus spill over into the hall and lobby. There may also be a banquet area...this year that was held off site.

The first room contains the check-in area, the panorama of donated kits to sell for fundraising at auction, and then the individual exhibition tables, as has been covered in the first sections of this walk-through. The second room contains only exhibition tables of the artists. The third room is divided between the vendor who helps sponsor the event and more artists with their exhibits.

We'll turn to the left, into the second room first...
Old 12-11-2021, 01:31 PM

Linda Kemp's exhibit

Linda Kemp is a warm, inviting person who enjoys sharing her skills and expertise. She also has a secret Burger King fetish, but I promised not to disclose that (so I won't).

Ms. Kemp's works are historically significant, as well as representative of considerable skill. Paper modeling today largely revolves around replicating things; scale models of ships or planes...detailed depictions of armor or starships, complete with lighting or other media to increase the perception of miniaturization of a desired vessel or thing. It was not always so.

Paper modeling dates back ages, rising in use in the 17th and 18th century, among those who could afford paper. When paper modeling rose in variety and availability, during the 19th century, the direction and focus was more diffuse than today. There were models of ships and buildings, but the emphasis was more expressionist than exact scale replication. Where we tend to cartoon, or to exactly replicate, a subject in paper; it was once less defined or focused upon accurate representation or artistic conceptualization. Hand drawn and colored to fit the artist's preferences, the product was colorful and appealing, more than exact or accurate. It was often designed to appeal to children.

There was often in those by-gone days, a tendency to view many of the paper models as an extended toy, than a exhibited craft, as it has progressed today. Bright colors and crafted. shapes encouraged youthful interest. For a great example of this approach, look for the McLoughlin Bros. book, "The Pretty Village," an antique town of buildings, similar to the AG Smith books of today, but each with depictions of children in all the doors and windows. The colors and drawings are more for effect than for scaled accuracy. the McLoughlin Bros book was printed in 1897 but reprints were made in recent years.

In addition to a different perception of the final product, there was a less confined determination over what should be built. Dioramas were common, tunnel books enjoyed, and more abstract sculptures perfected. There was a focus upon building what was the artists eye-view, with a variety of types of results and emphasis.

Though tunnel books are rare, dioramas and sculptures can still be found today; they are just not as common as back then. There is also, as noted before, more of an emphasis on realism, as printer quality and computer graphics makes for a possibility fo accuracy over expression. We can even make models from photographs of an object, folding them into 3D representations.

Ms. Kemp continues the tradition of yesteryear with her massive collection of paper sculptures. Visiting her exhibit is as slipping back in time to a different era of the craft.

Ms. Kemp welcomes you to her exhibit with a pot of Halloween candy [see pic 1]. There is a delicately built carousel prominently displayed, possibly an A.G. Smith kit. near it is a plexiglas, multimedia project that displays stars, plants, and a small rocket ship that appears art-deco in design. Similarly, she exhibits an automaton, a paper model design that moves with the turning of a crank shift. In years past, these types of designs were also more frequently celebrated.

Then there are the buildings! Dozens and dozens of churches, castles, houses, and other domestic structures, barely exceeding a few inches each [see pic 2]. Though a prolific builder, she is also a detailed one. Unfortunately, my phone failed to capture the detail clearly when I attempted to record some of the small buildings and their clean builds. in one cigar box, she enclosed 64 small buildings and a piano! In a cigar box! [also in pic 2]

In addition to these tiny, finely crafted buildings, she included, toward the end of her exhibit, a display of dioramas that were Victorian in design and appearance [see pic 3]. She and I discussed the loss of the clever tunnel books of that period, a form of expression that lives on, somewhat, in pop-up books of our present era. I recalled combining tunnel books with photography in an exhibit that I had attempted in years past. I hope that her interest predicted a project that she might complete for future IPMC exhibits. Her skill would do justice to the tunnel book effect.

Linda Kemp's exhibit is worth attending. It is not only an expression of patient craftsmanship, but as well an interesting visit in a period of building and paper sculpture that has slipped quietly from our memories...but is worth revisiting. Linda Kemp's table let's you do so, experiencing the best of today's skill with a taste of past designs...
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-linda-kemp-exhibit-.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-linda-kemp-exhibit-.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-linda-kemp-exhibit-2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2021, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I might add that former Staff Sergeant Linda Kemp, U.S. Army, is one of the stalwarts of the annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the Chair of the International Paper Modelers Convention (IMPC) Awards Committee.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-ahd18_03_linda_kemp.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-ahd_19_190518_inda_kemp.jpg  
Old 12-14-2021, 01:20 AM

Great note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I might add that former Staff Sergeant Linda Kemp, U.S. Army, is one of the stalwarts of the annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the Chair of the International Paper Modelers Convention (IMPC) Awards Committee.

Don

Thanks for the detail Don!
Old 12-14-2021, 02:11 AM

Bill Kastenmeier's Exhibit

One of the great things about this craft is the diversity of people that you meet who share the skills needed to produce the art. Bill Kastenmeier is very different from Anne McCombs, in both subject matter and technique, but equally interesting.

Bill Kastenmeier is a friendly man who is very generous with his time and with tips to better the skills of aspiring modelers. He seems to understand how the craft needs to be taught to fellow builders and how it should be shared, to encourage the passage of knowledge and skill, to preserve paper modeling for future generations.

Mr. Kastenmeier demonstrated an eclectic range of interests in his varied exhibit. His table included a cleanly built R-100 airship, a model of a craft from a tragic period of effort in the development of these vessels; causing some impact in Britain regarding the technology. It would not be exaggerating to say the at the story of the R-100 was to Britain, what the Hindenburg was to the U.S. His kit is clean, nicely fitted, and with well executed edging to promote uniformity against the folds.

Near the R-100 was a boxy little Goodyear Blimp, reminding me of my own memories of my flight abroad such a craft a decade ago. Of particular interest to me was the Curtiss Sparrowhawk Biplane which he designed himself. It was another clear, tight build. Mr. Kastenmeier shared that he had modeled this kit after the plane at the Udvar-Hazy museum.

For those of similar interest, the Sparrowhawk was a kit that I have searched for over many years. The craft was designed as a fighter/scout for the historic aircraft carriers of the skies; the 1930s, U.S.-built airships, Akron & Macon. At just short of 800 ft., they were designed to carry a compliment of these biplanes in their bellies to be released for short-range scouting about the mothership, or as fighters to defend her, The German built Los Angeles, sent to the United States as payment for war reparations, served as a test bed for the Akron & Macon, for such aircraft to hook up to a defending connector from the hangers, and be released from the same, but it was the Akron and Macon that were outfitted with carrier bays to hold the planes and to catch and release a compliment of the small craft and the airmen dubbed, at the time, the flying trapeze-men of the skies.

In addition to the pretty little Curtiss, the exhibit included a small warship, several buildings, a robot, and an old car [see pic 1]. Further rounding out the wide range of subject material included a lunar lander, which was a particularly clean build, and a 30's style rocket ship. Additionally there were two early Wernher von Braun concept vessels; a rocket and space station [see pic 2]. There were also fictional models, a sub and a Martian War machine from War of the Worlds (which was skillfully staged on thin legs [see pic 3].

Mr. Kastenmeier was generous enough to offer tips for any aspiring builders to learn how to replicate his clean builds. In order to remove the white edges of the kits that he complies, he edges them with Faber Castell Pitt pens that can be found in many art stores [see pic 4]. This tool cleans the edges and blends the kit seamlessly.

A good example of how clean this looks s to return to the Curtiss Sparrowhawk. I'm attaching two more pics of this build [see pic 5 & 6] that show in detail how cleanly the edges blend when these pens are used. Note how the markers cleanly blend the edges. You might also note, that he detailed his design-bill enough to even include the red and green running lights at the edges of the wings.

Mr. Kastenmeier also shared that he does not spray his kits with any sealer to preserve them. He suggested that they seem to hold up alright without the precaution.

If you get a chance to visit the IPMC in '22 or beyond, seem out Bill Kastenmeier and his table. There is much to explore and much to learn, from a craftsman motivated to teach.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-bill-kassenmeier-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-bill-kastenmeier-exhibit-1.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-bill-kassenmeier-exhibit-3.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-faber-castell-pitt-pens.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-pxl_20211122_035257206-copy.jpg  

The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-pxl_20211122_035332814.jpg