PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 12-14-2021, 02:30 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Stuart Hall School Exhibit

Having identified the kits that were exhibited by ModelPerry earlier in this tour, my conclusion of this second room involves the excellent exhibit by the Stuart Hall School. The exhibit depicted a paper reproduction of downtown Staunton, Virginia in yardstick miniature buildings; designs advanced by students who are attending Stuart Hall School. One of the team who was a faculty member, named Brad, shared his pride in the student's work and he shared as well the understanding of the need for artistic endeavors; as well as a craft that encourages following directions and process-driven creativity. There is a great deal of benefit for young people to learn disciplined creativity, to counter attentional problems, learn the need for logical process, and to appreciate the value of pre-planning.

Unfortunately, the three images I took of the exhibit were light-faded due to my camera-malfunction and not upload-able when I corrected and adjusted them. If anyone has pics of this excellent exhibit, please feel free to post here.

I am including the web address that they shared with me where buildings of the village may be seen or downloaded. I am, unfortunately, not able to access to this site, a Facebook page, due to my restrictions, professionally, against social media activity, but I wanted to share the address with you, in case you might enjoy exploring, or even building, the fruits of their artistic labor:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for access to their introduction and presentation.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
My only picture of the Stuart Hall School’s display.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-e197f1d0-c6cc-46a0-b268-2a852b2d9e33.jpg  
Old 12-14-2021, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Stuart Hall School Images

Here are my images of the Stuart Hall School contingent and their display.

I also cropped the group photo to show some of the Stuart Hall School students (Amelia, Julie, Khalia, and Eunice) and Teacher/Advisor Brad Arnold.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-3-09_stuart-hall_school.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-3-10_stuart-hall_school-brad-ashley-amelia.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-3-11_build_your-own-staunton.jpg   The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-impc21_stuart_hall_school.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 10:55 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Thanks much!

This was an impressive effort and the results were inspiring.

Bringing a new generation into this craft is essential to its longevity...and very beneficial to them.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I want to go to a Paper Modeler's convention so much, but I am always too busy to take time off from work. And I always say next year I will... next year I will...
Is the convention only exhibited, shown & tell, or has a contest? I didn't see any awards in pictures, so just wondering.
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2021, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
The contest part of it is generally rather informal. It is basically a best in show as voted on by the attendees. There is a theme award each year, the winner being chosen by the judging committee. There are also random awards by the judging committee as they see fit. Then there is the award I have endowed each year since about 2015 or so, the Silk Purse Award. When I am in attendance, I choose the winner of this award and I actually do try to apply basic building skill judgment to the qualifying entries (good builds of poor print/paper quality and/or design). In my absence, a previous year's winner is asked to select the winner for the current year.

All awards are unbuilt commercially printed models.

Greg
Old 12-18-2021, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Allen -

I listed the awards in my earlier report on the IMPC: International Paper Modelers' Convention 2021

Eventually, the awards will be listed at the official IPMC site: International Paper Modelers Convention Awards

As Greg says, the awards are informal and in the spirit of fun.

Don
Old 12-21-2021, 01:19 AM

Ah, hem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelperry View Post
The contest part of it is generally rather informal. It is basically a best in show as voted on by the attendees. There is a theme award each year, the winner being chosen by the judging committee. There are also random awards by the judging committee as they see fit. Then there is the award I have endowed each year since about 2015 or so, the Silk Purse Award. When I am in attendance, I choose the winner of this award and I actually do try to apply basic building skill judgment to the qualifying entries (good builds of poor print/paper quality and/or design). In my absence, a previous year's winner is asked to select the winner for the current year.

All awards are unbuilt commercially printed models.

Greg

In order to win the "Silk Purse Award" do you have to build from a sow's ear, or is paper acceptable?

Old 12-21-2021, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
In order to win the "Silk Purse Award" do you have to build from a sow's ear, or is paper acceptable?

Either. I think most Maly Modelarz kits of a certain era were printed on sow's ears, so....

Greg
Old 12-21-2021, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Or perhaps while building listening to this Linda Ronstadt album? ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 International Paper Modeler's Convention Visit in Pictures and Words-silk_purse.jpg  
Google Adsense