PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show

To give it its proper title: The Northern Virginia Modelers (IPMS) Model Classic 2022. This is a major regional plastic modelers show, with plenty of amazing models competing in numerous categories, lots of vendors, and good on-site food service. The show is held at Fairfax High School and is a fundraiser for their choral group, which opened the show with a fine rendition of the National Anthem. They also ran the food concession, with donuts, coffee, baked goods, hot dogs, pizza, snacks, and desserts. They even run a food cart through the vendors area for the vendors who can not leave their tables!

This show has always been very welcoming to our paper modeling group, giving us prime real estate just as attendees enter after registration. The organizers also encouraged people to visit our exhibit.

This year, we had six tables. Mine (Anne McCombs) was first. I exhibited a variety of models, including my three 50-year architectural models; a variety of other architecture; my Sherman and Kettenkrad; a collection of 1:300 Scissors and Planes models, and a selection of AirDave’s KoolWheelz.

Peter Ansoff had a selection of his models, including three Alcan autos; his famous zeppelin docking at the Empire State Building; his huge steam locomotive; several other models, and of course everyone’s favorite, the barn owl.

On the next table, Peter set up a tribute to Alan Rose, with the star being the immense DC-3 forward fuselage & wings. It spanned the table!

Peter Heesch had three tables: one of built display models of various ships, and two tables of unbuilt kits for sale. He reported being pleased with good sales.

The show is organized with most of the vendors located in the halls outside the auditorium, and the competition models inside the auditorium. There was also a raffle table at which ticket purchasers are pretty well guaranteed to win something. For $20, I came home with five plastic kits: a battleship, submarine, tank (Yay!), and two aircraft. Competition models are in a vast variety of categories. Aircraft far outnumber the rest, with plenty of armor, autos, sci-fi and fantasy figures, ships, great dioramas, and even some dinosaurs.

After a two-year Covid hiatus, I think the show was a success and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I did not bring anything I could take photos with, but Peter Ansoff took some shots and said he could post them.
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2022, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great report, Anne!

I am sorry that I wasn't able to be with you. It is always great to participate in this event.

Don
Old 04-16-2022, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Sounds like a great event !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to some pics

Thank you

Isaac
Old 04-17-2022, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
Here are a few photos:

1. Perspective showing our tables, with Anne's at the near end (right in front of the show entrance). (Note that the thumbnail is rotated, but the full-sized photo isn't.)

2. Anne's table and the left half of mine. I didn't have anything new except for a couple of the Alcan classic cars.

3. The Alan Rose memorial display of his prototype of the big DC-3 model. There was a sort of sunken lounge area behind this half of the display, and the "police tape" was there to warn people from falling over backwards. The right half of my table, with the airship docked on the Empire State Building, is visible at right (a bit out of focus, unfortunately).

4. Perspective view of Pete Heesch's sales tables. He had a steady traffic of people thumbing through his display boxes.

5. Pete H's right-hand table, with display of some built (albeit somewhat battered) Wilhelmshaven ship models.

6. Pete H. counting his "take."

We've been attending this event for several years now, and it's always been great. One of the really nice things about it has been the way the IPMS organizers have welcomed us paper modelers and made us feel at home. The president of the NOVA chapter made a point of coming over to greet us when we arrived, and lots of friendly, interested attendees stopped to chat and look at the models. As Anne mentioned, Pete H. had a pretty good sales day, and we saw lots of people headed for the exits with paper models in hand. I'd say that the focus of the most attention was Anne's Sherman -- I heard lots of "c'mon, that can't be paper!".

As always after attending a show, I'm inspired to get busy and complete something else. *Maybe* I'll be motivated to figure out what to do with that Alan Rose Titanic! Or not . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-1-sm.jpg   Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-2-sm.jpg   Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-3-sm.jpg   Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-4-sm.jpg   Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-5-sm.jpg  

Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show-model-classic-6-sm.jpg  
Old 04-17-2022, 03:13 PM

Thanks for these images, Peter!

I remember that precipitous drop.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2022, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great report Anne!

Wyvern
Old 04-19-2022, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Thumbs up

This is one that I tried to attend every year when I lived back east. Great show! I remember Bomarc winning an award for his aircraft tug back in the day.

👍👍👍

Greg
Old 04-21-2022, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
First time I've seen Peter Heesch's models. Anybody know if he sells them online?

Nice report, thanks for the photos. I built the big DC-3, I think I gave it away to Mesa Airlines to hang up in their headquarters. Too big to display in my house while keeping the wife happy.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:34 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
The models on display are Wilhelmshaven, and they were built in Germany, and then shipped over for Peter to display.

He does sell on Ebay, and I have linked and posted about his offers a few times
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-21-2022, 11:07 AM

Pete's paper model sales site: www.hbprecisioncard.com

Don
Google Adsense