PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 02-14-2024, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Museums Visits

My Son and I are in Washington State. We always visit The Museum of Flight at Boeing Field.

If there is an aircraft there you would like close up photos of, please ask here. We will spend at least one day there.

I plan to get real close the the M21 and D21.

Another stop is the FT Lewis Museum. Tanks/missiles

We are road tripping together until the 21st when we have a flight back to Alaska.

Plan to drive down the West Coast to see the Spruce Goose as well.

I'm not sure how much standing time I will have, been cut up by a top rated surgeon. They pulled skin grafts and bone parts out of my right leg, Using them to replace items cut out from my jaw.

I do have a Nikon D800 camera with a FX 120zoom lens so any photos should be real clear.

Not sure, who might need detail photos or clarity of specific parts: more than willing to help.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2024, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
... been cut up by a top rated surgeon. They pulled skin grafts and bone parts out of my right leg, Using them to replace items cut out from my jaw ...

Mike

Hi Mike. Sorry to hear of the medical issues you are going through. Trust you will have a speedy recovery. All the best.

Regards,
John
Old 02-14-2024, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Another great museum, not well known, is the Western Antique Aircraft and Automobile Museum (WAAAM) in Hood River Oregon, about an hour east of Portland. Lots of 1930's era cars and aircraft. Worth a visit if you are heading down to the Evergreen (Spruce Goose) museum. At the Evergreen museum, you can spend and extra $20 for a cockpit tour of the Spruce Goose, where (if you ask nicely) they let you sit in the pilot's seat.

Boeing Field also has a little known and visited Connection Museum, which is the old telephone switching building for the Boeing plant. They have every generation of telephone switching equipment on display, and lots of antique avionics. I think they are only open on Sundays.

Anyway, hope you have a great time.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Another great museum, not well known, is the Western Antique Aircraft and Automobile Museum (WAAAM) in Hood River Oregon, about an hour east of Portland. Lots of 1930's era cars and aircraft. Worth a visit if you are heading down to the Evergreen (Spruce Goose) museum. At the Evergreen museum, you can spend and extra $20 for a cockpit tour of the Spruce Goose, where (if you ask nicely) they let you sit in the pilot's seat.

Boeing Field also has a little known and visited Connection Museum, which is the old telephone switching building for the Boeing plant. They have every generation of telephone switching equipment on display, and lots of antique avionics. I think they are only open on Sundays.

Anyway, hope you have a great time.
Thank You, Stuck at Evergreen for a couple of nights snow where we are heading, 9-15" in the Gorge today, our rental car has nice smooth summertime tires.

Hood River sounds like a great stop.

Mike
Old 02-15-2024, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
While you're at Evergreen, check the gift shop and see if they have a paper model of the Spruce Goose. I've been forever curious to see if they actually started selling them there.
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2024, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Here's a link to the Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum. Car heavy since that's my thing, but still a bunch of aircraft.

2014-07-29 Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum - whulsey
Old 02-16-2024, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to seeing your museum images, Mike.

Best wishes for a full recovery from those surgeries.

Don
Old 02-19-2024, 07:58 PM

Aaron,

I did not see the Spruce Goose in the Gift Shop. Mostly t-shirts and hats. There were a couple of plastic models and simple wooden ones.

I left before actually taking a specific look for it, pretty sure I would have seen it as I walked around checking what they had.

Bought a SR71 baseball cap because it was raining hard outside and I didn't have a hat for my bald head.

All our plans got changed by snow. Not driving a summer tire equiped vehicle in snow.
Drove for the west coast and showed my son part of the Hwy 101 Scenic Views. We were able to dodge all of the snow this way, instead rain, rain.

Spent Friday-Monday at a small Western Washington town, Raymond, the Oyster capitol of the world. Super quiet comfortable hotel there: Golden Lion Inn-run by a small family-super quiet, rooms were big, full size Keurig-lots of coffee, roll of paper towels, full size trash cans, real toilet paper, double layer not single and smooth that most hotels supply or what is commonly known as John Wayne toilet paper: Doesn't take crap off anybody....

Irish Spring soap bars-lots of. Sure wish these bigger chains would provide that kind of quality. Absolutely no noise in room-off main street from hwy noise, electric baseboard heat. Did not have to listen to a heater fan with a blower bearing going out.

I needed that kind of rest sleep for this visit.

Whulsey: We tried to get to that museum, we both wanted to check it out-overnite forecast said 3-4inches of snow, they got 9inches in places.

Don, will post images when I get back, used my new to me Nikon D800 camera with a full frame Nikon lens 28mm-120mm. Still couldn't get a full shot of the Goose.

Being fresh out of the hospital the day before and using a cane, after two hours I was exhausted.

They really have some cool stuff going on there: Highly Recommended for anyone in the area for a visit.

In Olympia, WA waiting for my doctor visit on Wednesday the 21 and flying back to Alaska. Will be flat on my back tomorrow before driving into Seattle in the morning.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer