PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-05-2023, 09:58 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Linda Kemp

The first exhibit on the second side of the exhibition side belonged to a charming woman of considerable skill: Linda Kemp. I met her years ago during one of my first visits and have enjoyed her company ever since. Unfortunately, I was not able to catch her at her booth this visit, but I took some picture to provide a walking tour experience.
Linda cuts paper as well as “any of the boys…” Her display consists of a countless number of tiny, micro-scale models: castles, buildings, Victorian toys, tunnel books, and even a carousel. Her builds are very clean, without blemish or warped walls, and have carefully blended edges. She even fits 64 tiny buildings (and a piano) into a cigar box!

Check out the plentiful exhibit if she returns again in 2023…

Picture 1: Linda’s booth…with a sampling of the tiny objects in the cigar box, an Italian castle, and a cartoon cat...note the clean finishes...

Picture 2: The massive collection in its entirety…
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-94-linda-kemp.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-93-linda-kemp.jpg  
Old 10-06-2023, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I believe Amy's table was the make and take table for any young visitors wishing to try their hand at the craft.

Greg
Old 10-06-2023, 11:56 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Thanks for clarifying, Gregg...

I appreciate your insight. I guessed this, but wasn't sure if this was "the table" or her efforts in that area.

After working with youth groups over the years, I have noticed a considerable drop off of experience of young people having built things with their hands. In school, and now in many after-school programs, there has been a reliance on computers to substitute for doing things with one's own effort; a substitute for doings things through electronic assistance.

My experience, when using paper modeling, is that young people express a particular level of gratification by building, or by enhancing, things with their own hands. I have had several troubled youth choose careers in electrical work, auto mechanics, and other needed trade areas, after becoming confident in the product of their own hands. Some people have proficiency in mechanical aptitude, or in artistic exercises, that they will not learn, until exposed to an activity that brings those attributes to the surface.

I am glad that she hosted such a table and hope that, in the years to come, the IPMC encourages and builds such potential experiences; both for the potential discovery in those youth, as much as for the promotion of a craft that needs to be mentored, before the masters of it pass on.

Again, thanks for clarifying, and thanks to Amy for hosting the exhibit...
Old 10-06-2023, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have been enjoying reliving the IPMC, Don. Many thanks for this detailed and meticulous documentation and for the kind and gracious words. I look forward to seein you again this year.

Incidentally, former U.S. Army Sergeant Linda Kemp (long a stalwart of the IPMC and the erstwhile Papermodelers at Army Heritage Days Event in Carlisle) was one of the first women to wear combat arms (Field Artillery) brass.

Don too
Old 10-06-2023, 02:08 PM

Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by don boose View Post
i have been enjoying reliving the ipmc, don. Many thanks for this detailed and meticulous documentation and for the kind and gracious words. I look forward to seein you again this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don boose View Post

thanks! Better late than never? Or a clever promotion for the 2023???

incidentally, former u.s. Army sergeant linda kemp (long a stalwart of the ipmc and the erstwhile papermodelers at army heritage days event in carlisle) was one of the first women to wear combat arms (field artillery) brass.

Wow! I didn't know that! I knew that she liked Burger King...(that would be service to king and country...)

don too

I believe, at the IMPC, you're considered don - ONE...

Last edited by THE DC; 10-06-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-06-2023, 02:13 PM

Jim Baker

Jim Baker presented an impressive collection of builds; both in variety and size. He presented modern attack naval vessels, WWII aircraft, buildings, buildings, and even steam driven engines.

The steam engine was an interesting kit, with dynamic colors and detail. If you look at picture 2 below, you’ll note the operational lever’s, access steps, and even spokes on the wheels. His smaller scale buildings are clean, with sharp, tight folds, and well executed edging, to increase the visual illusion of the miniature version. This is clean on the old house and well.

His WWII planes are so detailed, that the one pictured in photo 5 has the straps for the seats, grips for the machine guns, and pilot levers and controls in the complex cockpit.

Picture 1: Jim Baker’s full exhibit…

Picture 2: Jim Baker’s Steam-driven engine…

Picture 3: Old house and well (not “well, I better build this”, but a water well…)…

Picture 4: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, with detailed camoflauge and weathering.

Picture 5: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, with cockpit details, including the straps and belts the pilot’s wore…
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-95-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-96-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-97-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-104-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-103-jim-baker.jpg  

Old 10-06-2023, 02:18 PM

Jim baker's exhibit, continued...

Another portion of a different WWII plane, illustrates detail pilot seat belts and controls and control levels that would be found in the actual, full sized version. The plane even depicts the copper tubing, piping, and detailed components of the motor, in the engine compartment (photograph 2). The next picture (photo 3) illustrates the handle to open the access door and the cockpit canopy folded back, to permit examination of the controls.

Jim explained that the plane was enlarged from a 1/33 kit to a 1/24, to build up the detail. He shared that he hadn’t built the nose of the Spitfire, so he decided to present the open engine compartment. He added that he’d built a home version of the vessel, and planned to bring his scratch version to the 2023 IPMC.

When I asked his for build tips, as I had all other artists that I met that day, he shared that there were some essential tools to get, and that a builder should experiment to find versions most effective to them. He said a sharp hobby knife, a ruler, tweezers, basic school-white glue, and a back up bottle of superglue for some specific applications. He also shared a philosophy; “If it don’t fit, squeeze or stretch…”

He then shared my regular question regarding why he came to the IPMC every year. He said it was fun to share and compare builds and that he got a chance to catch up with distant “one day friends.” He also said that the general BS’ing , handshaking, and then the chance to see how other artists do the craft; learning from them new tips.

Since I like to encourage the sharing of tips, as I built into this thread, I can appreciate that sentiment…

Picture 6: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, with straps and cockpit detail…

Picture 7: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, with engine compartment detail…

Picture 8: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, with overhead cockpit access detail…

Picture 9: Jim Baker’s British WWII fighter, surrounded by smaller scale planes…
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-98-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-99-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-100-jim-baker.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-101-jim-baker.jpg  
Old 10-06-2023, 09:32 PM

Matt Vance

Matt Vance is a pleasant man who has a long history in paper model building. He’s married to Amy, the person described earlier in the instruction exhibit; “make it and take it” booth.

Matt has experience using paper models with younger minds to promote growth and development. If you get to see him at the 2023 IMPC, be sure to ask him how the craft was used in training; the story is interesting.

He has a student even closer to him; his wife Amy! When I encountered them both at the table, she explained that she was only new to the craft and that her husband had been instructing her in the basics.

Matt has quite an interesting, and varied, display of builds. His 3 ft. long Blue Whale sits near a detailed, European castle on a hill. A WWI German tri-plane sits near a float-plane racer. He’s build hover-craft, small personal planes, and even military helicopters.

He displayed a Martin Mars with a very nice finish upon it (see picture 4) and a very clean build from 1994, of the Lichtenstein Castle (see photo 5).

Picture 1: Matt Vance’s exhibit of work…

Picture 2: A front view of his Blue Whale kit, with the personal plane hidden behind…

Picture 3: a rear view of the whale, and closer look at the two-seater plane…

Picture 4: The 300 scale Martin Mars…

Picture 5: The clean build of the Lichtenstein Castle…
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-109-matt-vance.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-110-matt-vance.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-111-matt-vance.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-112-matt-vances-table.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-113-matt-vance.jpg  

Old 10-06-2023, 09:39 PM

Matt Vance Exhibit continued...

He has a small scale Dr.-1 Fokker Triplane (look out Red Baron, sans Snoopy…the real Baron Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen earned his reputation and acclaim in a Albatros D.III ). In addition to the float plane, a small Boeing P-26 “Pea shooter” was displayed.

When asked to provide his favorite build tips, Matt suggested that a knitting needle works well to score parts. He said a hobby knife works well too, but care to avoid slicing through the part completely must be taken. Scoring, he noted, is the key to a good build.

He offered another tip; roll cardstock into cones to serve as struts and use such struts, and other framing shapes, to reinforce the available forms for more stable and robust structures.

Lastly, he suggested the purchase of Alan Rose kits (the author honored in 2021 at the IPMC), as they are good kits and produce good builds. As a buyer of Rose kits, I agree with his assessment. Finding them call an be another thing though (I'm still looking to replace a DC-3...).

When asked why he comes to the IPMC, he stated that the event was a way to explore a "rather obscure hobby"; that there were not a lot of venues to engage it, as the hobby was not very common. He said also that he liked to associate with similar minds and swap ideas with them.

Picture 6: A collection of aircraft.

Picture 7: The Hovercraft and helicopter…

Picture 8: Matt and Amy Vance…

Picture 9: Matt illustrates the difference between a simple box form (this of a building); one as printed, the other with supporting forms added…

Picture 10: Matt illustrates how the simple build is more fragile and flexible, while the with supporting forms is more stable and sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-114-matt-vance.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-115-matt-vance.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-89-matt-vance-amy-table.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-91-matt-vance-amy-table.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-92-matt-vance-amy-table.jpg  

Old 10-07-2023, 10:55 AM

Karol Budniak’s Exhibit

In years past, I have had a chance to chat with Karol Budniak, but this year I did not have a chance. I never caught her at her exhibit over several laps through the 2022 IMPC. Never the less, the exhibit deserves recognition.

The table consisted of a display of a series of paper model kits; mostly European publication. Many were WWII aircraft or modern jets, but there was also one interesting ship from the Age of Sail.

There were also a few examples of builds. Two very well made WWII planes were cleverly displayed atop the covers of the model-kit books that they were derived from. These were two large scale, and very detailed, builds. There was an additional build of a complicated boat, possibly a barge. Maybe that kit will be finished and available for you on the 2023 IMPC in the next few weeks.

If Ms. Budniak would like to clarify anything about her exhibit, she’s welcomed to add those thoughts and facts below this booth review. I hope to see her in the next few weeks at the 25th IMPC at the end of this October…

Picture 1: Karol Budniak’s exhibition of model kits and builds from them…

Picture 2: Two WWII planes atop the covers of the kits that the build pieces came from…

Picture 3: An incomplete build of a boat, unidentified, but next to the plans of the kit that the boat was extracted from…
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-105-karol-budniaks-table.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-106-karol-budniaks-table.jpg   Touring the 2022 International PaperModeler's Convention (IMPC)-107-karol-budniaks-table.jpg  

Tags
2022, 24th, impc