PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-22-2024, 06:19 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds even further, further continued…

Behind this row of builds is a second row of three buildings. The one to the right of the three builds that were exhibited, was the NY Grand Central Station Terminal (see pic 1). The building even has a highway around it and clearly laid out lanes of entry. The multifaceted roof is remarkable, as is the detail of the foundation. The actual Grand Central Station is a remarkable place; certainly worth modeling. Ever changing, the complex originally opened for service in 1913, named originally for Central Rail in NY. Serving over 67 million passengers a year, the station covers 48 acres and boasts 44 platforms; more than any other such complex in the world.

The central, exhibited structure, that was both extensive in detail as it is in size of layout, was the U. S. Capital complex (see pic 2). When I say extensive in size, it is still a palm sized building but with a series of detailed layouts (though the miniature would take two palms to hold. The domed Central Rotunda, the Old Senate Chamber, the current Senate Chamber wing, the Statuary Hall, and the House Chamber Wing were all faithfully built, with the steps, columns, gabling, and rounded roof pieces. This tiny replica is detailed, faithful, and very well built. I should note that this tiny postcard model is different from the book model that Matt authored. That complete model is: “The Capitol is 1:500 scale and about 18” wide when finished“ per the author in a recent email. I looked closely, but couldn’t find any reference to the famous Black Cat Ghost (look that one up…)

The third building, dwarfed by the larger U.S. Capital complex, was the Supreme Court Building (see pic 3). Like the others, this well crafted building illustrates the complex; with the surrounding ring building, the columned entrance, and detailed courtyard within each quadrant. Like the other two, this structure is well build and filled with nicely printed windows, doors, and rows of columns. The actual building was started in 1932 and the Court couldn’t enter it until 1935. It is interesting that the third branch of government did not get it’s own building until 146 years into its operation.

Near these three buildings, stretching back to the third row of displayed structures, was a rail car, a DC Metro Train car (see image in the next chapter…).

Hard to see in my picture is a tiny Wrigley Field, next to the Metro car. Next in line are two of my favorite NY buildings.

The first is the Flatiron Building tucked behind the beautiful Chrysler Building (see pic 4). The Flatiron Building is small but faithfully detailed. Note that the artwork makes for a convincing series of gilded windows, printed into the uniquely shaped structure. Even the balcony around the upper story is carefully designed for accuracy. The building was first named the Fuller Building; a structure completed in 1902. The wedge shaped structure is unique in its appearance; on the corner of three main streets: 5th, Broadway, and E 22nd.

The design and printing detail of the Chrysler Building is one of the best that Bergstrom’s cache. The little square windows, smaller than a pencil marking, line perfectly, delineating story after story. Each of the skyscraper’s sectional roof’s is structured, making for a tiny but accurate model. Even the upper curves of this unique crown of the building is faithfully represented. The postcard Chrysler building was breathtakingly built in an enviable manner, capturing the art deco style so amazing in the actual structure. The alternating white brick and white marble bands make the real building unlike any other structure, in appearance, in the city. The top of the building was inspired by Mercury’s helmet, appropriate for the Chrysler Corporation who reveled in speed.

The Washington Monument rises behind these, the surface carefully printed with micro-blocks, providing a convincing surface. I didn’t notice the clearly differentiated lower portion from the upper 2/3’s portion, as the actual monument displays. This odd difference in appearance is a result of the stoppage of building process during the war, due to the funding limitations of the period, and its completion after the Civil War, with different stone! Its ironic that the monument to our founding further bears inconsistency and flaws, yet rises above them. Washington probably would not appreciate the aesthetic, but would likely relish in the unintended symbolism.

Another great NY building was exhibited next to the Chrysler Building; the Woolworth Building, which was once the tallest building in the city (see pic 5). Despite being surpassed in that honor, it is still on the list of 100 tallest buildings in the world. One of my favorite NY skyline structures, the Chrysler Building, surpassed it in 1930. Again, Matt printed amazing detail of printed windows, ledges, and even the spire. It’s a beautiful model and Matt built it with skill and care.

The Statute of Liberty, in postcard scale, was next exhibited to the Woolworth Building. The Pension Building / National Building Museum was the last in the row. The picture of this will be in the next chapter of this Thread (since the photo limits of this forum to 5 per chapter.).

Picture 1: Grand Central Terminal…

Picture 2: US Capital…

Picture 3: Supreme Court of the United States…

Picture 4: Chrysler and Flatiron Buildings…

Picture 5: Woolworth Building, NY
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-grand-central-terminal.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-us-capital.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-supreme-court-united-states.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-chrysler-flatiron-buildings.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-woolworth-building-ny.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-22-2024 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:21 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds even further, further, further continued…(whew!)…

The Pension Building / National Building Museum was in the last in the row of exhibited buildings, on the base tier of the Bergstrom display (started last chapter; see pic 1). The structure was very well built, with carefully folded corners, very precisely printed windows and roof details. The model is clean and informative of the actual structure. The actual building was built in the 19th century, primarily to distribute benefits to the Civil War Veterans, though Revolutionary War and Mexican War Vets were also supported through this structure. These days, the building is the National Museum Building, a structure dedicated to celebrating United States achievements in building arts.

Last chapter, I had noted the Metro train model; here its image may be seen (see pic 2).

Behind the exhibited buildings, Matt included the Golden Gate Bridge; an American landmark that is a linchpin of western US identity. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a good photo for you. [remember: don’t touch the models…even for a picture!!!].

Picture 1: National Building Museum is a museum of architecture, design, engineering, construction, and urban planning in Washington, D.C.…

Picture 2: DC Metro train…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-national-building-museum-museum-architecture-design-engineering-construction-urb.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-dc-metro-train.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-22-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds even further, further, further, further continued…

<pant...pant...I am running out of extension words>

The base of Matt’s tiered exhibition provided three last models (see pic 1); the FBI Building, the Pentagon, and Alcatraz Island.

The J. Edgar Hoover F.B.I. Building is a very detailed and complicated kit (see pic 2). Matt’s build successfully captures the competing shapes and forms of the structure, as well as the details of the intricate complex. Completed in 1970, the modern structure is named for the department’s founder. At over two million square feet, that’s some small scaling to fit into your palm.

Next to the FBI building, a small replica of the Pentagon was exhibited (see pic 3). The tiny scaled model depicts the 6.5 million square feet in just over two inches. The second largest office building in the world was depicted in detailed graphics to compensate for the tiny size and limited

The third exhibit was of Alcatraz Island (see pic 4). In addition to the actual island base, the miniature illustrates the series f buildings that made up the prison complex. Though the main prison complex is displayed at the center of the island, the accurate miniature even has a water tower, supporting buildings, and even the dock. Even the parade grounds are illustrated in the printing of the island. Alcatraz was shut down in 1963, after it was determined to be too expensive to maintain. Now, as a tourist spot. It’s a valuable resource for the area.

Picture 1: Postcard kits built…

Picture 2: J. Edgar Hoover F.B.I. Building…

Picture 3: Pentagon…

Picture 4: Alcatraz Island…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-postcard-kits-built.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-j.-edgar-hoover-f.b.i.-building.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-pentagon.png   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-alcatraz-island.jpg  
Old Today, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I hope Matt is at the convention again this year. I used to work directly across from the Chrysler building and diagonally across from Grand Central station. I should have bought those kits last year.