PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-07-2024, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Too neat especially about Joe's Space Shuttle models, metal foil paper technique on the Atlas, and curled and folded paper on the Saturn I. And that he flies some of them.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:36 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Yes, he is very talented...

Joe has a lot to offer and was quite easy to interview. And though I tried, the pics of his work do not do his final products justice. You have to see them for yourself.

This year was rough for me, having spent all day photographing and interviewing. I never really got to explore beyond preparing for this Thread.

Joe was a real find; a new personality at the IPMC, with talent and energy and made his part of this Thread very easy and information-filled. He filled my pages with details and tips and was generous with suggestions. He could become a real fixture in future IPMCs.

I encourage you to seek him out there, and any of his threads that he decides to post on this forum. He has a lot to share...
Old 04-13-2024, 10:16 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Teakell’s Table; The whys…

Joe’s enthusiasm for model building was clear, but his desired to traverse all the way from Willard TX. were less certain. He explained that coming to the IPMC was on his “bucket list.”

Though Joe corresponds with fellow paper modelers, he hadn’t had a chance to meet many of his peers in person before. Joe shared that coming to the 2023 event was desired, he also said that he had been a little nervous that he’d show up, display his work, and that the exhibitors would laugh at him. That didn’t seem to be the case, from my observations.

His reservations aside, Joe had accomplished another goal, in attending the IPMC. He had displayed with whom he described as “the best of the best.” Maybe he had discovered something that he had not known before coming…he was one of the best, displaying with the best.

I strongly encourage you to seek him out, and look for any of his Thread entries here, as he has skill, knowledge, and enthusiasm to share; and he is generous when sharing it!

Picture 1: Joe Teakell's 1st IPMC name plate…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-joe-teakell.jpg  
Old 04-13-2024, 10:17 AM

Next entry on the tour...

Our next stop on the tour...a celebrity...at least on "paper"...
Old 04-17-2024, 06:34 PM

When I speak of a "paper" celebrity, that's not an insult in this case...

The director of the IPMC, Peter Ansoff, told me once of the special guests that he’d hosted in years-gone-by IMPCs. He had shared that the skilled and incomparable Alan Rose (I’m still looking for his DC-3; a kits about 6 ft. wide!) had been a guest, and I recall a memorial to him one year. His prolific work was only matched by the size of his kits…measure in feet, not inches! Rose accomplished such valued paper models as that of the Titanic, the Hindenburg, a Saturn % rocket, a trolley Car, the Empire State Building, the Sears Tower, and onward of more than 25, large scale kits.

Peter had also told me of hosting another well-regarded designer/builder of paper models, Edmund Gillon Jr. As much as Rose was the promoter of finely designed, detailed, and large kits, Gillon was the master of period architecture. His voluminous publication for U.S. audiences included Revolutionary, Civil War, and even 1920’s era houses (I’m still looking for the 20’s book!). He also authored works about farmhouses, sea shore towns, Quaker communities, mid-western cities, and over 30 other collections of structures. Some of his well drawn and well supported (with accurate, clear directions) evoked nostalgia, like is Victorian houses, while others document important period locations, like his Irish Town. Sometimes he designed buildings that had mobility, like grist mills and windmills…that work!

Despite admiring these two men, and buying many of their books, I never got to meet either. I would have liked to get a chance to thank them for their contributions to paper modeling. Each enhanced the craft, and introduced it to so many, that they are legends in our circle. I did get two chances to express appreciation to two authors, this IPMC; one of which specialized in mini-buildings.

Wurlington Press is a company that prints postcard models. The owner and manager of the entity, Matt Bergstrom attended the 2023 IPMC, representing his craft and business. Matt is a very pleasant man, skilled and personable. His postcard models are tiny structures that he designs and sells for quite a reasonable price (I even saw some IPMC members buying and building his kits during the convention).

But the “post card” models that define his Wurlington Press publications are but part of his publication acumen. Matt has also published full sized kits: a haunted house (pic 1), Santa’s Workshop (pic 2), the U.S. Capital (in pic 3; which I have bought three times in collections; always missing parts or drawn in!!!) and a collection of American Landmarks in one book (pic 4; which I never seem to win on auctions!). His kits are well drawn, clean, and have good instructions for beginners and moderate builders. At the 25th IPMC, he had two of his books displayed (pic 5).

Picture 1: Matt’s Haunted House book…

Picture 2: Matt’s Santa’s Workshop book …

Picture 3: Matt’s U.S. Capital book …

Picture 4: Matt’s American landmarks book …

Picture 5: Matt’s display of the Haunted House and the U.S. Capital, at the IPMC, 2023 book (a tiny postcard kit is compared at the top of the photo…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matt-bergstrom-haunted-house-1.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matt-bergstrom-santas-workshop.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matt-bergstrom-capital-building.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matt-bergstrom-american-landmarks.jpeg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matts-published-works.jpg  

Old 04-17-2024, 06:49 PM

Matt Bergstrom’ Exhibit

Matt is a gifted artist and prolific author of models. In addition to the four books he has published, he has authored dozens of postcard buildings. The almost 40 tiny buildings range in subject matter from the Lincoln Memorial to several
capital buildings in D.C. Yes, he’ll even sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for $2 (the price of his postcard kits). Like Rose, he covered a cable car, Empire State Building, the afore mentioned bridge in NY, the Chrysler Building, the White House, and the Washington Monument; all in inches to Rose’s feet (and those are big shoes to fill). Additionally he designed small models of the World’s Trade Center, the Woolworth Building, the Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island, the U.N. Headquarters, and a NY favorite of mine, the Flatiron Building. You can buy the Golden Gate Bridge for $2 from him, the Grand Central Terminal, or even the Cub’s Stadium (otherwise known as the address of the Blues Brothers...).

These mini kits are detailed and clean designs.

Picture 1: Matt Bergin’s postcard model selection exhibit…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-matts-postcard-collection.jpg  
Old 04-17-2024, 07:00 PM

Matt Bergin's Exhibit continued...

Matt’s kits are micro in size, but not detail. He exhibited finely detailed kits, even in miniature size (I should have introduced him to his exhibit neighbor, Joe?).

The kits are half a page in size, but have many parts. The Empire State Building (one of my favorite NY structures) stands only inches tall, but is completed with separate, detailed sections, clearly printed, pin-hole sized windows, and even the micro radio tower atop it. The kit also provides simple, yet clear pictures for build instructions. These instructions direct the folding, connecting, and piecing of the different parts of the kit; adequate for the early to moderate skilled builder.

Picture 1: Matt Bergin’s postcard sized Empire State Building…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-example-postcard-kit.jpg  
Old 04-18-2024, 04:52 PM

Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds

Matt is a gifted builder, as well as an author of effective instructions and designer of beautiful kits. His exhibited kits were unusual and reflective of his interests. He built a tower display of builds next to his display of un-built postcard kits that he designs and sells (see pic 1).

The top of the build tower display was like the top of a wedding cake; a commitment to creativity and skill. Mirroring the model that Peter had built of the airship mooring at the Empire State Building, Matt had completed the same effort, but this time is wasn’t the unrealized-design-airship that Peter chose; Matt had the Akron mooring atop the building (see pic 2). The Akron was the sister ship to the Macon; the two ships that reached the pinnacle of airship development and building in the U.S. until the program was scrapped. The vessel was an aircraft carrier in the sky, supporting a group of biplanes that dropped from its belly to scout and reconnoiter the skies before the advent of radar and other electronic tracking measures. Matt’s “top” model illustrates what might have been, had physics had only cooperated with the failed thought of a mooring site.

Picture 1: All postcard kits built exhibit…

Picture 2: Postcard sized airship mooring Empire State…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-all-postcard-kits-built-exhibit.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-postcard-sized-airship-mooring-empire-state.jpg  
Old 04-18-2024, 04:56 PM

Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds continued…

The next “tier” of this display provided postcard builds of the St. Louis Arch, George Washington’s personal residence, Mt. Vernon, and a pair of high-rise buildings in Chicago. The St. Louis Arch appears a simple kit, but if you look closely, the panels are etched into the sides to confer an illusion of structure and texture.

Mt. Vernon is a detailed, attractive, and tiny kit of the first President’s home (see pic 2). The tiny columns, the carefully crafted copula, and even the pen-tipped sized window dormers make this kit as attractive as it is accurate.

The third model on the display tier shows a pair of apartment buildings in Chicago, designed by Mies van der Rohe (a famous architect), who built two identical towers, asymmetrical from each other, at 860 Lake Shore Dr. The Modernist-design, 1951 high-rise apartments sit atop pylons that suggest vulnerable space and architectural threat that is not present, due to the effective structural design (see pic 2). The details of the different windows along the sides of the buildings and the carefully crafted pylons that hold the building above a smaller base, creating open space that leads to the near green spaces. The base of the kit shows the green spaces and walkways.

These kits are detailed and attractive, and though not for the nervous builder. They require attention and care.

Picture 1: Even more postcard kits built2…

Picture 2: Mt. Vernon…

Picture 3: Buildings Matt's…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-even-more-postcard-kits-built2.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-mt.-vernon-.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-buildings-matts-.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-18-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:55 PM

Matt Bergstrom’s Exhibit; builds further continued…

The second “tier” of this display provided a wide selection of more postcard builds (see pic 1). These were as detailed and attractive as the former selection, yet even more complicated, despite their minute size.

From Chicago, is the creative architecture of the Marina City buildings (see pic 2). The setting is supported by an attractive base, reflecting the supporting structures, and the towers and all are deeply detailed and crafted with amazing accuracy, for being only inches in actual height. Note how ever the layers of detail reflect the actual building structures; respecting the landmark's presence. Next to this miniature set is the Coit Tower, from San Francisco. Again, the detail of the design respects the original, and it is hard to believe that this building is less than four inches tall. Behind that structure is a recognizable Transamerica Pyramid, also from San Francisco, CA. The unique, earthquake resistant frame is faithfully recreated and built in the exhibit.

The Hearst Tower, from the incomparable skyline of NY is featured next; still a miniature in inches, but very detailed (see pic 3). Behind this landmark is the Citicorp Center, also to be found in NY, peaking out from beside the Transamerica building.

The historic French Landmark Triumphal Arch, or, the Arc de Triomphe, which may be found in Paris completes the row, with a Streetcar positioned in front of that architectural landmark. This Napoleonic era structure, had been started in 1811, with strong Roman influences, intended to represent the gate to Paris, it was not completed until 1836 and multiple administrations, following the fall of Napoleon and several of his successors. Though the Arch represents to the French military accomplishments, it actually became a long-held symbol of contention; modifications made all the way until 1895, as opposing parties and agitated citizens complained about the persons inscribed and the battles represented upon the monument's face.

The small vehicle, if I guess correct, is an elevated train, from the indomitable skyline of Manhattan. I reached out to him, to confirm about these builds, but have not heard back. Perhaps he might correct me, or enhance my descriptions, if I guess correctly?

All of these tiny buildings can fit in the palm of your hand, yet are filled with detail. Note as well, Matt is not only designing these small wonders; he has built them with care and skill. The picture you see represent both his design skill and his build acumen.

Picture 1: More postcard kits built…

Picture 2: Chicago Marina City, Chicago…

Picture 3: Hearst Tower, NY…
Attached Thumbnails
The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-more-postcard-kits-built.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-chicago-marina-city-chicago.jpg   The Walk-Thru of the 2023 International Paper Modeler's Convention (IPMC); the 25th-hearst-tower-ny.jpg  

Last edited by THE DC; 04-19-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Google Adsense