PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yes, the theme is not meant to be restrictive, just to encourage a particular category of models. All models are welcome, and visitors and participants each have a chance to vote on the People's Choice model, regardless of category. Last year, the theme was architecture and there were a lot of models of buildings and structures, and an award in that category, but the People's Choice award went to Abbey Benner's incredible paper flower models.

This year, there will be one prize awarded for the the wheeled model considered best by the judges. A superbly built model of a Sherman might win an award, but not the theme award. While a Sherman atop, say -- just to choose an example at random -- a Dragon Wagon, would qualify.

However, I do not want to talk too much about awards. They are intended to add a little recognition for great models, but the REAL purpose of the convention is to enjoy the company and camaraderie of other paper modelers, to see all the models, and to let the world at large know about this wonderful craft.

Fpor some reason, I can't find the thread of last year's convention in the archive, but here is the 2008 IPMC: 2008 International Paper Model Convention

Don Boose
Co-Member, IPMC Awards Committee
Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Here is the '09 thread
2009 International Paper Model Convention

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM

And here, thanks to Rick, are the photos and commentary on the convention: 2009 International Paper Model Convention

Don
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
alright, I checked my calendar, looks like I'll be good to come! Can I come as a spectator, what are the costs of setting up a display, and what would the hours be?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Yes you can come and look, admission is free.

We usually start around 10am, and go to about 5-ish

I need to do some more research on the costs, but if you want to participate in the whole shooting match, you would be looking at $130(table rental, dinner, convention fee) and I can give you the breakdown later
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
This is super, Rick, and not too early to get onto everyone's calendar. Hopefully we will not be wrassling with H1N1 flu this fall, and so I can come (that day job thing). I second the thoughts above. This little convention is all about bringing whatever you are working on and sharing it with everyone else, and talking about models etc etc with all the other nuts in the room. It is about bringing stuff you have at the bottom of the build pile, and putting that into the not-so-silent auction. It is about seeing what the latest new design for Digital Navy will be, and seeing how Roman himself builds them. It is about getting to chat with Doc John Glessner about the fine details of Tippett and the incredibly rigging 1:72 he does of WW1 airplanes. It could even be about meeting Chip Fyn, or Alan Rose, or A. G. Smith, or Thomas Pleiner.... We have had some great guests in the past. And anyone who has a cool toy, a nifty technique or an interesting way of packing models for shipping is welcome to demonstrate. The cost of a table is modest, and some of us have been known to split them. the cost of a room is pretty cheap at that hotel, which is a 5' drive from Dulles airport, which is serviced by Airtran, so even the air flights are not bad. I bring a rolling bag full of small models packed in styrofoam peanuts, and pack the extra set of underwear in my coat pocket. Folks have been known to drive from the Gulf Coast.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Here is the link to the website we have put together for the convention

International Paper Modelers Convention

Rick
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Rob;
Your Hampton Court Palace is totally awesome! Your detailling is wonderful and the completed model with little trees, etc. really shows what can be done with Micromodels, talent, patience and time. Congratulations!

In hopes of seeing that beauty at first hand, I am planning to attend the Convention in October. It is a bit of a drive from Indiana, but my daughter lives in Frederick Maryland and I may be able to crash at her place and save on lodging. I hope to see you there.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 AM

It will be great to meet you if you can get to the Convention, Thomas!

Don
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Is there any more information about this year's convention? Is there a website? I was just thinking today I needed to begin planning the trip if I'm going to do it, and was realizing I don't know much about the show, or even if it would be going this year.

[email protected]
Google Adsense