PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Avery,

here you go International Paper Modelers Convention

I will try to get some more info from the braintrust

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
European version would be ace.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
I plan to attend as well. Don't know if I'll be the FG rep again, but happy to do it for Chip.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is always a great event. A chance to meet other paper modelers face to face, to see a lot of paper models, to learn some new techniques, and perhaps to pick up some new models, tools, and materials for sale, at the auction, or as a prize.

We have a fairly light-hearted set of awards. There are alway "People's Choice" awards -- everyone who passes through the door gets to vote, every model on display is in the running, and since it is simply a matter of which models gets the most votes, there can be no controversy (last year Abby Benner's superb paper model flowers and plants took the People's Choice Award First Prize. The year before, it was Roman Detyna (Digital Navy)'s Fletcher-class destroyer.

If the World's Oldest Troll is not off cruising, he and I will do the usual Ron and Don schtick for the awards "ceremony."

Here are the rules for last year's awards (guaranteed to give indigestion to those who develop rules for more serious contests). This year, the theme competition is "wheeled vehicles."

International Paper Model Convention 2009
Awards

As has been our custom since time immemorial, prizes will be awarded to exceptional models during the banquet on the evening of October 24, 2009.

People's Choice: First, second, and third prizes will be awarded to the models voted “best” by all of the visitors and participants. A small card with a number will be placed by each model. Every person who walks through the door will be given a ballot to register their opinion as to the models they think are best by whatever criteria they choose.

Architectural model competition: A new category. A panel of judges with impeccable credentials and of unsurpassed competence, judgment, and good looks will assess all models of buildings and other large, immovable structures. Models will be judged on the basis of craftsmanship (cleanliness of joints, lack of fingerprints and glue smudges, squareness where squareness is appropriate, roundness where roundness is appropriate, and irregularity where irregularity is a virtue), ornamentation and detailing (arcane terms of art used by architectural cognoscenti), distinctiveness of subject matter, and overall ineffability.

Best table display. Prizes will be awarded on the basis of eye appeal, enhancement of the appearance of the models displayed thereupon, and transcendence.

Most unusual model: Surely, you need no explanation of this category. One award; one prize. Determined by the Awards Committee

Awards Committee Special and Previously Unannounced Awards (ACSAPUAS): The Awards Committee will make a number of awards for categories to be announced at the time of the awards ceremony. We anticipate that the Acsapuas will be unanticipated, astonishing, amazing, awe-inspiring, and productive of wonder and delight – or, at the very least, consternation.

Nota Bene: Within this congeries of like-minded artifex chartacia, the process of adjudication and reward will be conducted in a congenial, non-confrontational manner. All judgments are final, beyond dispute, and incontestable. Any person who disagrees will summarily be declared charta not grata et integerum, encased in 65-pound Wausau Bright White Cover Stock, doused with Aileens extra-fast-drying Tacky Glue, freeze-dried, and presented as one of the prizes.

Alan Wheeler
Don Boose
IPMC 2009 Awards Committee
Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I just found out that I'll be able to make the event! I've already told Chip that I can represent the FG table. However if Dr Laser (John) wishes to also do it, all the merrier. Besides, John always brings lots of great builds - I usually leave mine at home to avoid embarassment ;>)

Bob
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
I'm curious. Does anyone know how many models were on display in 2008 and/or 2009? Do the vendors carry stuff other than models? Are there demonstrations or classes or other tangental events at the show? Does it really cost $130 for table space to display a model?

-Doug
Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Doug,

We had some 20 people display models, some had 10 or models, some had close to 30 models on display, so anywhere between 200 and 600 models.

In 2008 we didn't hold the convention, had some trouble with hotels, and we just had some miscommunications between team members and hotel staff

The Vendors, Peter Heesh(H&B Precision Card) and Abby Benner(index) were selling their kits.
We also had Matt Bergstrom( Build your own Chicago), Pierre Lafontaine and John Glessner selling their own kits and repping for Fiddlers Green.

On Saturday morning, before we start, we usually hold a couple of presentations, everything from Alan Rose or Peter Zorn talking to us, to a discussion on the different ways instruction diagrams are used and drawn.

As for the cost, We do not have any corporate sponsorship, and we do not have an overwhelming run on the tables, where at times, some of the organizers pay the difference out of their own pockets.

We have talked in the past about holding ebay auctions to raise some monies to offset the cost to the displayers.
We are open to other ideas too.

I hope that helps some

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Just to add to Rick's comments, I believe that the table fee also includes the Friday and Saturday evening meals. Also, with regards to vendors, Rick was selling a cd of assorted eCardmodels, a tremendous value that I couldn't pass up. Other folks were also selling off part of their huge personal collections - Ron (Old Troll?) comes to mind. I can't recall if Roman (Digital Navy) had CDs to sell.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I think Roman did sell some of his kits.

Yes Bob, the 130 or now 135, is for the table, room rental, and dinner on Saturday evening
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
IMPC 2010 Awards Rules of Engagement

The fearless members of the IPMC Awards Committee have completed work on this year’s rules for the awards. Keep in mind that the main point of the IPMC is the opportunity to get together with other paper modelers, to exchange ideas, to learn new things, to showcase the craft, and to have an enjoyable time. The awards are part of the fun, not the main event.

With that in mind, here are the rules and the events for this year:

International Paper Models Convention 2010 Awards

In Accordance with the long-standing customs and traditions of the Craft, prizes will be awarded to exceptional models during the banquet on the evening of October 23, 2010.

People's Choice: First, second, and third prizes will be awarded to the models voted “best” by all of the visitors and participants. A small card with a number will be placed by each model. Every person who walks through the door will be given a ballot to register their opinion as to the models they think are best by whatever criteria they choose.

Wheeled Vehicle model competition: A panel of judges of extraordinary competence, judgment, and mental acuity (not to mention talent, youth, and exceptional beauty) will assess all models of devices meant to travel on wheels on the ground. Things that travel on rails, that are capable of travel on land and sea, and those that fly but are fully road-worthy are entirely acceptable, but not things meant to fly through the air and that use wheels only for taxiing for takeoff, or devices that travel on treads or Archimedes screws (those contrivances may appear as cargo on wheeled vehicles properly so called and may well be extraordinary models in their own right and thus worthy of applause, veneration, emulation, and deification, but they won’t qualify for the Wheeled Vehicle Award). Models will be judged on the basis of craftsmanship, detailing, distinctiveness of subject matter, and overall je ne sais quoi.

Best table display. Prizes will be awarded on the basis of eye appeal, enhancement of the appearance of the models displayed thereupon, and general transcendence.

Most unusual model: Eye appeal and craft count, of course, but this one is entirely subjective, and one award, with one prize, will be determined by the ineffable, incomparable, and inscrutable Awards Committee

Awards Committee Special and Previously Unannounced Awards (ACSAPUAs): The Awards Committee will make a number of awards for categories to be announced at the time of the awards ceremony. As always, the IPMC ACSAPUAs will be unanticipated, astonishing, amazing, awe-inspiring, and productive of wonder, delight, consternation, and puzzlement.

The primary purpose of the International Paper Models Convention is camaraderie, good fellowship, and the enjoyment and promotion of the craft of paper model design and building. There are, therefore, no more-detailed rules and the process of adjudication and reward is always conducted in a congenial, non-confrontational manner. All judgments are final, beyond dispute, and incontestable. Any person who disagrees will summarily be declared charta not grata et integerum, and compelled to cut multitudes of formers from 3 millimeter card stock using a dull knife or cheap, gimcrack circle cutter.

Alan Wheeler and Don Boose
IPMC 2010 Awards Committee

Google Adsense